“Nice Food and Friendly Service”
Review of Montecorvo

Montecorvo
Ranked #15 of 118 Restaurants in Forio
Price range: US$29 - US$52
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Just 1 km from the hamlet of Panza, Forio d'Ischia, the Montecorvo is a cozy restaurant nestled in the countryside between Ischia. Few tables, pieces of art chosen with great taste, a well and a fireplace carved into the stone green (inside). In hot weather it can dine on the romantic terrace garden, exotic plants and water features created by the fountains. Our specialties are the rabbit in clay pot and the meat in general with a wide selection of fresh local seafood also available in variants traditional, yet innovative, our thinking is to propose traditional dishes with the touch of individuality that does not go to distort the history of our land. Among the main courses are between the various choices also the pasta with rabbit sauce, linguine with mussels, clams and prawns, paccheri pesto with parsley and anchovies. Imaginative appetizers such as stuffed zucchini flowers, eggplant burgers, our pizza with gorgonzola cheese, anchovies of lemon leaf and specialties to discover. How sweet the caprese, the baba, the cake napoleon, the pears and cottage cheese. Montecorvo The restaurant is located 500 meters from the sports field of Panza (opposite the junction to Panza in the municipality of Forio). Time Walk 10-15 minutes, five minutes by car.
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

All in all an enjoyable evening. Friendly staff who spoke good English. An excellent range of cocktails and wines. On arrival we were served a delightful Pizza bread and also fresh bread. We started with a blanched prawn dish then shared Ischia’s famous Rabbit dish cocked in a clay pot, as our main meal. Both were excellent.

We were disappointed that our “whole rabbit” was missing one of its legs and thigh. The leg and thigh we did get was easily the best part of the dish.

Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel so we made them reserve - based on room number instead of name, but ok.

The Restaurante is located nicely nearby and looks beautiful - a nice garden with a great atmosphere.

We were first offered the table I identified as the worst (in an empty restaurant) and then after asking for a better one. Turned out several guests were offered the same bad table first (and asked for a different one).

Drinks came rather fast. I wanted the special meat (beef) which was noted as 600g minimum (1kg = 40 eur), after ordering 600g the waiter came back telling me due to size of meat available I was asked to order 900g - excuse me, what? I see I am about 90kg heavy but I don’t want to eat 1kg of meat. This was the 2nd strike of bad service. So I ordered the same as my girlfriend, beef steak with pepper sauce. Both were ordered medium. One arrived medium the other rather medium-done which I play down to the hot pepper sauce it was topped with. Luckily she likes her steak more like this so we switched the meals and the steak was decent.

The rest of the evening was uneventful; like fully uneventful as we were not served anymore, sitting in front of empty dishes and glasses. We asked for the bill and got the same as other reviewers here: a 30 minute waiting for the bill. Which was written, by hand, on paper. No register print or anything. Which makes me doubt it’s financial and legal veracity.

Overall, a shame for a beautiful venue.

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

The journey to this restaurant is not for the feint hearted! And make sure if you drive that your car is small, you’ll navigate roads that resemble streets, and in the dark it’s even more hair raising! But the effort is worth it, and the journey is sensational. The entrance consists of rustic steps through archways of vines, trees and flowers, the smells and sounds are quite divine. We came here as two couples, and our jaws dropped when we saw the view of the ocean through the forest at the summit, beautiful. Then we were greeted by the most charming man, speaking perfect English, and given the option of any of the available tables. The menu is quite extensive, the wine list contains some excellent wines, great vintages and prices that are realistic.

The food was superb. I saw a review here from someone who offered just 1 star. I think that person must have been having a really bad day, and quite honestly should have stayed home. Especially on a Sunday when there is no fresh fish caught. Maybe they should have ordered something different? They clearly have no idea of style, taste, expectation or class, so I would recommend you ignore their experience, it’s inconsistent with any other reviews, and definitely a long winded rant from someone who should probably stay home and eat in the safety and simplicity of somewhere like McDonalds.

Our food was brilliant, although huge portions so make sure you are hungry. We started with stuffed courgette (zucchini) flowers that were tasty, lightly tempura battered and a good way to enter in to the feast. Three of us shared a fresh crab linguini, delicious although I’m not keen on picking Crab meat from the shell, so I didn’t do too much of that, but the taste of the sauce was wonderful. Then we all had fillet steak, and a tagliata. Just lovely, and the porcine mushrooms were perfection. Washed down with a lovely Dona Fugata, and then a Brunello di Montalcino, and as the sun went down, and the service continued well in to the night, the jungle came alive with the sounds of nighttime nature, and our driver brought his small car back to collect us, we all thought the place was stunning and left very happy.

1  Thank Ian R
Reviewed 10 June 2018

My husband and I live in Italy and were visiting Ischia for the weekend. We were so excited to dine here based off the wonderful reviews. No doubt the restaurant is beautiful, but that's really the extent of anything positive I can say besides them also having a nice wine list of which we enjoyed a nice red and white selection. We started the evening at 8pm with a standard prosciutto and cheese appetizer which was just okay. The waiter informed us of their special fish soup which he said was large enough for the two of us to share so we took his recommendation. (Side note: We were informed that this restaurant specializes in rabbit, however, we are seafood lovers.)

The seafood soup took a VERY LONG time to arrive (hence us moving onto a red wine after waiting so long for our food). When it arrived, it looked fantastic, but the first red flag was that I confirmed with the waiter that it was gluten free, yet it was served with bread on top. Yikes. One thing I've noticed about Italian restaurants from my travels across the country is that they take gluten free very seriously, so this was a major screw up on their part. Not okay for those like myself who have medical reasons for being gluten free. Anyways - we took the first few bites of the fish soup and it was ALL BONES. SCALES. FINS - which is expected for the most part, right? But no. This was on another level. They literally just threw entire uncleaned/un-prepped fish in a pot sauteed with some herbs/tomato and served it on a plate!! I am not exaggerating when I say it was inedible (and my husband and I are major foodies.) I picked out the mussels while my hubby cleaned the shrimp and we tried to make the best of it. Mind you, we were STARVING by the time the food came out and having to sit there and pick through bones, scales, and fins. I couldn't even take a bite out of a tomato without having bones in it so I ended up having to - sorry TMI - mash up every bite I took with my tongue like baby food and spit half of the bite out on the plate they provided. My husband stopped eating it before me because he got a bone lodged in his molar. After we were able to finally get the waiters attention, my husband then ordered a steak filet with porcini mushrooms and we told the server to please take the seafood plate away. It was 1/3 eaten and we informed him that it was inedible (to which he didn't even respond). The steak came out and it was fine. It was doused in butter and served with a healthy portion of porcini mushrooms so how could anything smothered in butter be bad? But the real horror is to be described below....

We asked for our check at 11pm and we waited. and waited. and waited. We arrived at the restaurant at 8pm and by this point are just ready to leave after the bad experience. We watched entire families +9 people come and go before us. My husband eventually had to stand up and walk to the front and ask what was going on. They eventually brought our check to us at 11:30. Thirty. Minutes. For. A. Check. Anddd the check was 199 euros (photo attached). What. How. Why. We had so many questions. We were in disbelief. We expecting to pay a bit more for the seafood soup but 100+ euros just for an inedible soup?! Absolutely disgusting on every level. After we paid, we informed the man who was helping us that the seafood soup had been practically untouched and it was a bad experience, he responded with a snarky attitude, saying, "everyone else like it." Mind. blown. So the food was horrible along with their customer service and attitudes. And having to pay 200 euros was the biggest slap in the face, which is why I felt compelled to share my review. We would have happily paid 200+ had it been worth it but what a waste of money and time.

3  Thank latinarabian
Reviewed 1 June 2018

Extra good restaurant in Forio, cosy ambiance, and delicious seafood, fresh fish, famous starters, as a special bruschetta, great atmosphere, and perfect service, serving an lemoncello at the end.; for an enjoying evening in family or with friends,