Hotel Sumba
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Cala Millor
See available hotels
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
Marins Cala Nau(Cala Millor)
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 July 2015

Better than last year for food. Great hotel location and staff overall are very good.
Aimed at German holiday makers but I didn't mind because I was out most of the time.
Excellent location for beach.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Jet2holidays
3  Thank briancX6889VW
Reviewed 20 July 2015

Had to cancel 2014 because of severe illness with my daughter transferred to 2015 and my husband was then unable to travel. My daughter and I kept the holiday and went June 2015 we had been to hotel for the past 18-20 years and always loved it. It is primarily a German hotel but we love the situation and the food. I always enjoy it.

Room Tip: No baths anymore but I cannot fault the room the size is adequate for a couple wouldn't like to have more the two people in it, we always take a single room for my duaghter.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Jet2holidays
2  Thank 954isobelm
Reviewed 20 July 2015

Just arrived back from the Hotel Sumba. We booked this holiday very early on this year when it was owned by Globales but never informed it had changed to ALLSUN group. I can not fault the hotel for cleanliness, food or bar/waitress service. The only issue is the fact that in an entire week we only heard 6 other english speaking voices. Staff seem to be fluent in german and the info pack in our room was all in german. The animation team never announced activities in english only german which was a bit insulting as we had paid for our stay as much as the german guests. The entertainment was sadly lacking in every way. When there was any kind of show it was geared around german music or comedy.
The resort of Caller Millor is now a german holiday resort. I can`t fault the hotel in any way except the german issue. I feel we should have been informed the hotel had changed ownership to a german company.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Linda52WestYorkshire
Reviewed 4 July 2015

Well ! What can I say , just arrived back today from the lovely Cala Millor, meant to be a 4★Hotel I certainly do not think so. Arrived at the' Sumba hotel 'check in desk Sunday 21st June with beautiful entrance but not so welcoming greeting at check in, he said our name then said "Oh jet 2", Borneo, and that was it we were sent packing to the Sister Borneo hotel next door and given keys to a room on the 3rd foor above the kitchen facing Sa Coma direction. The room was very clean with fridge and flat screen t.v, no coffee /tea facilities small balcony but Great !! Air conditioning, and shower ...bonus .The dining area was spotlessly clean and well managed with very friendly staff who were very attentive to your needs, the food was hot , well presented and a good variety, salad bar and fruit and sweet bar differed daily no problems there.
We appeared to be the only two British people in the hotel , EVERYONE was German, we did not meet another Scottish or English person . The welcome pack was in German , the brochures in the room were in German, everyone at the pool were Germans, I am not being racist or complaining about them being there but I feel we should have been informed by Jet 2 that this hotel was taken over by Allsun, from Globales 2 or 3 months ago, there were so many octogenarians up until 3 days ago when a few younger clients arrived, there was no music at the pool at all during the day and there was no entertainment AT ALL until 1st July when an opera singer was on for half an hour from 2115 till 2145 guess what this was in German too but the language barrier was vast . We paid a lot of money for this hotel and was very disappointed with our main yearly holiday , so much so we wanted to come home early which is a shame as Cala Millor is beautiful with a great variety of things to interest all, water sports, ccaves of Drach, bycicle for rent , horse and cart trips, open train round the town lovely shops, restuarants, cocktail bars and a stunning beach which was so well cared for there were other hotels we looked at more in Cala Millor Protur hotels, Bahia del Este, and many others which did have British guests in them . We were just so disappointed , we usually meet so many people when we're away , but the lack of music entertainment at night and during the day was so bad and sad really because it has the space and facility to be a good hotel .wifi was free for 30 miniutes in lobby area only or paid hourly in room.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Moira T
Reviewed 1 July 2015

Firstly it might be helpful if you read my previous review of this hotel written September 2014.
We returned here in June for a weeks holiday because we had had such a fantastic holiday at the Sumba last year.
On 3.3.2015 Allsun Hotel Group took over this hotel and its sister hotel next door the Borneo. They are very clearly going to great lengths to save money.
Cleanliness remains excellent. Location is excellent (obviously cannot be changed!). I had emailed in advance to request a room on the 5th floor again - on arrival was initially given a room on the first floor -They said they had not received my email. They were able to accommodate us on the third floor though, so we accepted this room. Bar and waiting staff numbers appeared to be at a minimum resulting in long waiting times for service. Staff appear fluent in German but struggle to understand English with the exception of Michael on reception who is English. My limited Spanish must also be very bad as they didn't appear to understand that either, but at least I made the effort! The SAGA holiday makers were coming to an end, they presumably only stay in 'low season'?. We clearly heard the SAGA representative talking to guests and stating that the last of her clients were leaving during the week we were there. We did not experience any problems with motorized scooters or Zimmer frames as mentioned in some reviews and we did chat to some very friendly senior citizens, however, English guests are very much in the minority and I have to say we felt very unwelcome. The quality and choice of food was a big disappointment. Meat appeared to be "in short supply". When I asked for an omelette in the morning, Chef pointed to the frying pan and then to the scrambled egg tray - yes he was making fresh scrambled eggs in the omlette pan! We were fed "like Kings" last September, so we really noticed the difference in the restaurant. All inclusive tea and coffee was dispensed from a machine and the coffee was absolutely foul tasting, others obviously agreed as full cups of dispensed coffee were regularly left by the side of the machine. You had to pay 1.50 euros for a decent cup of coffee made behind the Bar. Last year all cocktails were all inclusive, this time there was a choice of two "unusual" house cocktails available which we tried but did not like, I accept that was personal taste though. The "nice" cocktails incurred an extra charge - something we have never had to pay for either here last year or at a 4* AI before. WIFI is now only "free" for 30 minutes a day in reception only. The signal was always 'poor' and we very rarely managed to actually send an email within the 30 minutes due to recurring loss of connection. Guests were encouraged to purchase the Sumba superior wifi if you complained about the 'free' wifi! Little things like water in our room was a bit of an issue this visit as a tiny 330ml bottle of water was in the room fridge on arrival and you were not allowed to refill these at the water dispensing machines. It was not possible to obtain new bottles of water, guests had to use small, flimsy plastic cups to take water to the room. Pool towels could no longer be changed on a daily basis. There were four set days a week, between 5-7pm, when you could change towels. The evening entertainment, not brilliant last year, was even worse. My negatives might seem minor niggles to some people but we were comparing the hotel with our experience last year, which was fabulous, overall we were disappointed this time and will not be returning again.
Tips: we popped over to the Borneo some evenings and you can get another 30 minute free wifi in reception there, should like us, you want to keep In touch with family - we found that by going from one reception to the other we had more than enough wifi time. The waiting staff were much friendlier in the Borneo restaurant, (we ate there a couple of times) it is a much smaller hotel and did seem to have more British guests. If you have already booked to go the Sumba, you might like to read the Borneo reviews and consider emailing and asking to be accommodated in the Borneo.

Room Tip: Rooms on Higher floors, beach end, have fabulous views.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends