Hostal Palmaria(Cala Santanyi)
Hotels.com
Hostal Playa(Cala Santanyi)
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
All reviewssea viewsmall poolfantastic locationrooms are cleansantanyimirror
Reviewed 4 June 2015

I was slightly anxious about Mallorca as a destination because of its association with English hedonists. The kids chose it because of its location for snorkeling. The waters are incredibly clear with plenty of fish and things to see. We only saw one other English family in the whole week we were in Cala Santanyi. The Germans seemed pleasant enough and hotel is very clean and staff pleasant and helpful. My only grumble is that all of us thought the mattresses are very uncomfortable and I really don't like to moan. (In hindsight, and in all fairness to the hotel, I really should have mentioned it to the staff - perhaps they could have resolved it.). The town has some very good restaurants but budget from €80-130 per meal for four as we took the non-board option. The food was all excellent without exception. We also found a local bar serving food on the road into the main Santanyi town where all four of us ate for just €35 - good food including beer but the clientele was a bit on colourful side. Lots of steps in the local town so be aware.

Room Tip: Get a fro t balcony as the ones on the side don't get enough sunshine.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank dominic h
Reviewed 19 November 2014

Nice and old fashioned hotel situated in a small bay with crystal blue water - like in Caribic.Furniture in the hotel is a bit tired, no AC on rooms, but who cares in October? Maybe in peak season it could be a problem, also a capacity of location. Wifi is payable. Nice view from the room. There are some pools in neighbourhood, you can share free of chargé.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2014

Hotel had a great location and leading up to my reservation they were very helpful with any questions I had. The view our of our front sea view room was beautiful with the beach to our left and the ocean to our right. It was easy to set up a transfer from the airport in Palma through the hotel (they will charge your credit card in advance). They definitely cater to the German travelers that make up the bulk of visitors to Cala Santanyi. Once we arrived we were satisfied with the location and the room was fine (we knew in advance the rooms themselves are nothing special), but then the nickel and diming started. We had to put down in cash Euro 16.50 just to get one towel for the beach, a 15.00 deposit and 1.50 for the rental. If we had wanted two we would have needed another deposit. This is just absurd. There is nowhere for the towels to go the town is microscopic. They need to change this policy, period. Also, wifi for one day was 5 euros and connectivity was spotty at best. They desperately need to come up to speed with most other hotels and provide free, fast wifi for their guests. They would not let us put anything on our room bill, all extras were in cash. I was able to pay for our one day rental car by credit card, but again could not put it on our room bill. This was very frustrating. If they would just change this policy it would go a long way to smoothing out the feeling that you are being held up for money at every turn. It was easy to rent a car through them, however, and that made our drive up to the north of Mallorca much easier. They have automatics available on request which was nice as well. Overall a great location but I might try the hotel at the head of the beach (Hotel Cala Santanyi) or Apartments Drac if I came again to avoid their payment policies.

Room Tip: Choose a front sea view room. It is worth the extra money as most "side sea view" rooms will not be able to see the water. Any front sea view room in the 300s or 400s room numbers would be good.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We have just returned from this hotel and what a treat it was. The hotel has mainly guests from Germany but that is fine. Hotel, restaurant and Cala Santanyi were an absolute gem. The only problem was that we weren't there for longer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Philip J
Reviewed 21 August 2014

First of all this is a nice clean hotel with an excellent location overlooking the bay of Santanyi.
We had a 6 night reservation with a ocean view room. After 3 days we decided we wanted to try another hotel. We were told that the reservation was not changeable or cancelable. The manger pointed this out again on the conformation we got from booking.com. I contacted booking.com if I could break the reservation. They said it was up to the hotels flexibility. Booking spoke with the hotel manager and so did we. She would not release us from our reservation. She said that we were paying the lowest rate of 102 per night and therefore it was not possible. This rate was just 16eu under their regular rate and did not include breakfast. I am not pleased that I was not allowed to leave if that is what I wanted regardless of what I reserved initially. Also I have never stayed in a hotel anywhere in the world and paid 100 per night and not have breakfast included. I asked if she at least could include breakfast and she declined that as well. I feel I was held at ransom over some booking conditions and this left a bad taste in my mouth and I will be sure to never stay here again. Very short term thinking at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014