All reviewssea viewpool areathe busclose to the airportmin walk from the hotelmeal timesfresh fruitsafety boxgoing homebar staffrooms are smallplaya de palmasunbedssangriacycling
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here a week in July 2014 and booked this hotel individually (not with a travel agency). Most guests are charter tourists from Scandinavia and speak Swedish/Norwegian/Danish. Staff adopted to this with partly Scandi staff. The hotel has changed it's name: it's now called Sunprime Waterfront (please change the name on tripadvisor as it cannot be found otherwise, hotel homepage: http://waterfront.sunprime.net). It's an old building but nicely renovated. Check-in was a bit troublesome. We were offered a glass of cava which was very nice but staff couldn't find a room in our booked category and we had to wait 1,5 hrs even though showed up as advised in the booking confirmation. Check-in staff was all Spanish and not very friendly, no apologies or any compensation for this inconvenience. We were then appointed a good room with nice mountain/airport/land view on the 5th floor with morning sun on balcony. Room was very good. Nice bed, good TV, free wifi worked well and was fast, lovely rain shower. The only amenity in bathroom was soap/showergel in one on the sink (no shampoo in the shower) though. Shower had nice power and good water temp. Minibar/fridge is small and not very cold. Safe was free of charge. Pool towels huge and comfortable but changing costs 2,5€ each time. Breakfast was very good, great selection for every taste, good quality, plenty of fresh fruits and warm items etc. 1-2 different fresh smoothies every morning. Great bread and rolls. Really everything you would need (but no cava). Restaurant staff is not very friendly or interested in doing their job. Dirty plates are not taken away as they should. We had 3 lunches here and liked the food but again staff is not good at the restaurant. Not attentive and some seemed rude and ignorant. Waiting times too long. Tables left dirty etc. All guests behaved well. Most are couples from Sweden, young and older couples, some families with teenage / young adult kids. Poolside is very nice. Good sun beds and double beds & lounge sofas at bar area outside. Bar staff great and they give you ice cubes if requested w/out any trouble. Location is great. Right at the beach of Can Pastilla, very cozy and quiet yet close to Arenal if that's what you want. Good restaurants and bars in proximity. Our booking had free 25min massage for each that we used and really liked it. Gym was small but well equipped and modern. Many people used the gym. Opening hours were great from 6am to 11pm. We took part in water aerobics every day it was offered (5x/week) and liked it. Instructors are fun and talented, music great. Pool temp perfect. Pool also large enough for laps. Hours not very good though: 10am to 6pm. I used it from 9am though for swimming laps. Lifeguard present at times. Taxi to airport was 14,80€ so very expensive as the distance is about 2km. Noise from aircrafts is constant but you get used to it. Keeping air-con on in the room helps a bit at night. In the evening it's nice to look at sunset and airplanes taking off. Bikes can be rented for 5-6€ a day w/out deposit at the paseo. In hotel they cost more (I think it was 9-11€). In the basement there is a Cannondale rental for profis which looked great. This hotel is all in all a fairly good sunprime hotel and it can be recommended for adult relax holidays. It's not as good as Sunprime Atlantic View on Gran Canaria but comes very close and would certainly like to stay here again. You can enjoy a lovely holiday here. Places for improvement are: more and better staff for restaurant, check-in procedures and longer pool hours.

Room Tip: Any room is good as all get sun at some time of the day. We liked the mountain view because had morning sun and great sunrise impressions.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank henri_s
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I stayed one week at Sunprime Waterfront in september 2013 and had the most relaxing vacation for a really long time. I asked for a room relatively high in the hotel, since I'm afraid of finding insects or other bugs in the room, and got a room on 3rd floor - facing towards the airport.

The expectations were fulfilled, no bugs of any kind were in sight in the room. Not even a mosquito. However, I'm glad I'd read the map and packed one set of earplugs because the noise from planes during take off and landing could not be totally ignored. Nor could the snoring neighbour in one of the neighbouring rooms be ignored. The room was not very well protected from sounds from the corridor or other rooms.

On the other hand, the bed was very comfortable. Hotel beds often seem to have hard mattresses, this was nearly perfect for my back. Cleanliness of room and bathroom was good. On the other hand - I never quite understood the system for changing towels. Some days I got a new one, other days I didn't even though i placed the used ones in the bin in the bathroom, indicating that I wanted a new one. Air condition in the room was good. I had the possibility of chosing both fan speed and switching it totally off, the latter being an advantage in september. AC often give me a cold. This time I switched off the AC during night, and avoided catching a cold.

I used the restaurant (buffet) a lot, and even though the food may not satisfy a real gourmet, it was more than good enough for me. The breakfast buffet was good (and thanks a lot for the fresh fruit that was available for all meals, I have not been eating so much fruit for a long time as I did during my stay at Waterfront). For lunch and dinner the fish or meat served was fried immediately before serving, so it really was fresh made. My only negative experience was that during the 2 first days of my stay the waiters appeared to forget serving me something to drink in time so twice I'd almost finished my meal before the softdrink came. On the other hand, the rest of the week it worked perfect so maybe I just was there at extremely busy periods the first 2 days...

Staff was helpful and even when I managed to lock myself out of the safety box in the room, a technician came and fixed the problem in less than 10 minutes after I'd asked for help in the reception.

The pool area was also really good. There were enough sunbeds and for me it was perfect to find that a minor part of the area had shadow during the mid day sun. Perfect when you just want to relax with a book without staing non-stop in the sun all day.

I also "tested" the SPA. It's quite small and the relax area related to the SPA was not so impressive even though it was comfortable enough. However, the two treatments I tried in the spa were very good. The therapist giving "classical massage" really knew how to untangle the tense muscles in my back and shoulders.

All in all a very nice and relaxing stay. The most negative thing observed was something which I believe was a rather big cockroach that walked around in the reception area one day... However, I never saw any of it's relatives so it may have been an accidental cockroach passing by.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid noise from the airport it's recommended to choose a room with sea view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank CillaN
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed in Aug 2013 for seven nights. Fifth time at hotel and always had a good room and sea view. We paid considerably more this time and got a very sub standard room. Low floor at the back of the hotel smaller than the other rooms on that floor, very little storage. small wet room area meant water all over the bathroom floor. Complained at reception and was told it was impossible to move us. Complained to bookings manager next day and was told sea view rooms were now more expensive but they would move us anyway. (we were never advised of a new pricing structure when booking with Thomas Cook so there's obviously a communication breakdown) Although they gave us a sea view it was on a low floor and in a corner so the balcony railing was very small and looked directly into next doors, not very private ! There was also a very bad smell coming from the shower drain. We decided not to complain again but had to complain about the smell, it was really bad. We complained about it twice and twice they said they would have a technician check it out. Don't know if this ever happened as we were never told but the smell was still there.We gave up in the end and had to run the shower frequently and use aerosols to try to keep the smell down. Not what you'd expect from a four star hotel really. The other down side for us this year was the food, especially our evening meal. There was a lot less choice than before and what was there was never marked to tell you what it was. On the plus side the hotel looks smart, facilities in the rooms were good and the staff all seemed to be a bit friendlier this year apart from the the two older guys that work in the dining room who came across as quite stand offish and grumpy. They should take a leaf out of the girls books who work in the restaurant, they were really nice and helpful. The other plus point which will always sell this hotel is the prime location in a lovely resort. Definitely a few steps backwards from the old Alexandra Hotel but considerably more expensive.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank baxter642
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed one week 02-09August 2013 at the hotel. We stayed in a prime room on 4th floor, we were lucky enough to get a room on the corner (outer) so we had an excellent view. Room was to our satisfaction, bright, comfy beds, well working bathroom etc. I was happy to find a decent number of hangers in wardrobe (in most hotels there are too few hangers). Did not like that there were only 3 "English speaking" TV channels (and those were news channels) and no Scandinavian at all ( all guests summertime are scandinavians), no entertainment in room for those who do not speak spanish, italian or german. The elevators were awful, very small, slow and no aircon. Poolarea was great, big pool, plenty of chairs. Hotel is located close to beach and there are lots of restaurants close by.
It is an adults only hotel and this was our first time at such a hotel and for sure will not be the last ..Overall I would recommend this hotel very much.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank annahelena
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed at Alexandra with two kids, for 7 nights, back in 2012, end of April.
The hotel is beatiful and the food was ok.The kids loved the hotel, especially the big hallway.
But the service is a disappointment.There was an awful smell from the AC/heating unit and they didn't care to move us to another room or fix it. Untill someone from our travel agency talked to them.
They didn't clean the room floor every day. Also the restaurant wasn't quite clean. We even saw a huge cockroach just outside the restaurant.
The location is good and there is a shortcut passage to the beach.
The resort is small and quiet off season.
The island is wonderfull for exploring by car and there are a lot of places to see even with small kids (Marineland, Aquarium,Naturapark,Soler train,caves etc).Not to mention the beaches.For kids activities we got our plans from digame site.
We got back to Mallorca this July but rented an apartment in Alcudia,for beach time.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family