“Mid week supper”

Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Elstree
Price range: US$14 - US$31
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A stunning 15th century Inn, the Waggon & Horses is full to the original rafters with period features. With three open fires, a library, beautifully decorated in keeping with its age, this pub is at once cozy and romantic. With live music on certain nights, it transforms into a happy party venue with a real old fashioned buzz. The food is inspired by Mark Hix and celebrates the best of seasonal Britain. With a great wine list, cutting edge world beers and expertly kept ales, you will be left wanting for nothing.
Reviewed 14 September 2017

Small but friendly pub with an unusual menu
Bit of a wait but good freshly cooked food
Nice friendly staff

Reviewed 4 September 2017

i haven't been to the Waggon and Horses for years but on a recent visit I was very impressed. The service was excellent, food very good and altogether a very pleasant experience. I would go there again.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

We drive past this pub so often, but have never tried it. What a mistake - the service was friendly and helpful, the ambience was lovely, and the food very nice indeed.

1  Thank Laurel K
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Good menu with lots of choice, very large outdoor garden area with very comfy seating. Good service and good food.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

I chose this place based on a some decent Trip advisor reviews...

We ordered a table for 5 for a Sunday lunch including a toddler. I specifically required a highchair. When we arrived we were told the High Chair they have is being used by another family. My daughter was able to sit at the table on a grown up chair and she loved it.

We all ordered the Sunday Roast Beef. The waitress even asked how we liked the meat. We all said Rare and she replied the best they can do is medium rare because of the way its cooked. It was kind of a bizarre question when you realise what happened next.

Our meals arrived including mine. My medium rare beef had been nuked. It looked a dark grey colour and I was immediately suspicious. I turned the single piece of beef over to reveal what the kitchen was hiding. My beef was literally covered in a thick black burnt crust. I called the waitress over and she took it away.

A few minutes later I get a well done piece of overcooked meat. While it was tasty it was far from a good meal. We all had trouble cutting our beef with the standard knives and we asked for steak knives.

I've attached a picture of my friends beef - which was the least overcooked of them all.

The potatoes were average. The carrots slightly undercooked. The gravy was nice but so little of it.

Mid point during the meal a friendly waitress asked us if we wanted a high chair as it was no free. This kinda sums up the place. Best intentions but all so useless.

While we had a great afternoon it was in spite of the food - not because of it.

Definitely not worth the £90 I paid.

I really hope this place can sort out their food as a Sunday lunch is a pretty basic thing to manage.

1  Thank ZeroTolerance242