“Great fish, lovely salads, and wine that made me happy. Oh, and cheese!”

Sugar Hill Inn Dining Room
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We have all the amenities you would expect in a luxurious Inn - wireless internet, a computer for use in the lobby, free Wi-Fi, hot tub room, complimentary guest laundry, ice machine, air conditioning, complimentary breakfast. We combine quality accommodations, fine dining, an excellent wine selection and warm hospitality to provide our guests with a memorable experience.Experience fine dining i...n our spacious Dining Room here at Sugar Hill Inn. Enjoy a meal featuring the freshest of local ingredients paired with the finest olive oils, vinegars and other ingredients we import to give our food a Mediterranean flair. We specialize in fresh local seafood, including halibut, cod, salmon, shrimp and scallops. Whatever type of meal you order, we have an extensive wine selection to complement it.Our dining room, with its comfortable leather chairs, hardwood floor and pine cathedral ceiling creates a cheerful atmosphere full of pleasant conversation. Our food is among the finest served in Gros Morne and our wine selection is the best.Ask to see our extensive international wine list with focus on Burgundy and Bordeaux.The dining room is open to the public. We take dinner reservations for any time between 6 - 8:30pm inclusive.All our breads, fruit preserves, salad dressings and desserts are made on the premises. Our dining philosophy is to make everything by hand on site. We do not use pre-made food products in our meals. Only fresh roasted coffee beans are used for that perfect cup of coffee. Sugar Hill Inn water is chemical free spring water from our own well, herbs that are used in our kitchen are home grown.
Reviewed 30 December 2017

I suppose I just posted a review of this restaurant as part of my review of the stay at the inn; regardless, I'll repeat myself here: this was a really lovely dinner. Great salads, a terrific piece of halibut on chanterelle risotto, and some very good Canadian cheese for dessert. I recall that they also had Trius Brut, which makes me happy: I think that good Canadian restaurants should serve our fine sparkling wines, and this is a perfectly fine one.

Mostly I loved that this restaurant tried to both be of its place and also feed us well. At the end of the day, we had lots of perfectly fine fried-seafood-and-starch meals in Newfoundland; this was one of two meals that really did go well beyond that threshold (the other was hundreds of kilometres north, at Norsemen in L'Anse aux Meadows.

They also made us a picnic hiking lunch for one of the days we stayed here, but I don't believe the restaurant is actually open for lunch. Breakfast at the inn is buffet.

Reviewed 17 December 2017

I did not expect fine dining in this rustic area but that is what we had. Great service and delicious food. Portions are not large but it was enough and very tasty. Nicely done.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

Popular fine dining that normally requires a reservation. The chef offers a limited menu of quality food preparations including appetizers and deserts. Wine, beer and mixed drinks are available in this elegantly appointed second floor dining room. Wait staff were very prompt, friendly and polite. Food was nothing less than exquisite and with a price to match but the difference of well prepared food is well worth the money. The complementary breakfast for inn residents was much better than the average fare with several quality selections.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

My husband and I had a cottage at the Sugarhill Inn and with no special expectations went to the Inn's dining room Chanterelles for dinner. It was wonderful! The menu was well-varied with delicious choices and exquisite wines. I had halibut encrusted with pumpkin seeds served with pesto sauce. Marvelous! My husband was pleased with his roasted duck breast. Everything was perfectly cooked and seasoned. This restaurant is a gem!

Innkeepers11, Front Desk at Sugar Hill Inn Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Wow! Thank you for such a amazing review. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your dining experience. We hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Four of us had a lovely dinner at this restaurant
The Caesar salad was excellent
All entries were tastefully served and prepared
Would definitely recommend this restaurant

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your dining experience. Thank you for recommending our restaurant. We hope to see you in the near future.