“Bed bugs in our room”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Newmarket, Canada
“Bed bugs in our room”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We stayed at the resort beginning of February with two toddlers of 2 and 4. We are both well travelled but this was our 1st trip to Cuba. Overall we had a good experience and I agree that they have a friendly staff. Beach was also great and my kids enjoyed the kiddies pool. HOWEVER. After the 1st day we found little red bug bites all over my body and also my wife's. We started to suspect that we may have something in our room but could not find anything when we checked the bed. Apparently these little blood suckers are active at night so it was only on the 3rd night when we finally spotted one and then the 2nd, and so on, we were able to find about half a dozen! We took pictures just in case nobody will believe us. This was late at night and the kids were already asleep so we waited for the morning while I stayed awake and watched that none of these buggers gets to eat us again. The next morning we asked to move out, filed a complaint with the local Sunwing rep and they moved us to another room, that means packing and unpacking a family of four. After we arrived home in Canada my wife went to our family doc who found she developed a allergic reaction to the bugs. We had to wash every single clothing item and vacuum the luggage and we hope that our house is bed bugs free.
Memories caribe indeed...

Room Tip: Stay away from room 1201!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Robert S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (939)
  • Polish first
Camaguey, Cuba
Reviewed 23 February 2012

we stayed at the Hotel for two nights, very clean, our room was huge and close to the main building. the food was good and the staff very friendly. i am recommending this place if you want to relax and enjoy the BEAUTIFUL BEACH.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank glenia r
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I had spent quite a bit of time looking at various sites prior to booking my trip to Memories.. The reviews of this property were less than positive and even my travel agent was hesitant to send me there. I have been to various locations in Cuba including Varadero, Holguin and even Cayo Coco prior to this trip. last time my daughter and I went for her 13th birthday to Oasis Playa Coco( now be live ) and had a fun time but wanted a change of scenery and a place with kids her age (15)..
I was worried once we got to our room as we had problems with our patio door. I thought oh no the reviews were right. I got great assistance from the front desk staff and they moved our room ASAP not to mention they were very understanding why I wanted to switch. We found our room to be very comfortable always cleaned and in good working order. We had small user issues with the hot water but it was us not knowing how to work it..
My daughter left out sugary treats which attracted ants go figure but the room staff came with 20 min and cleaned them up never to be seen again.
The food in Cuba is not a reason to visit but if you like most foods and are willing to try local cuisine you wont starve..The snack bar pizza was amazing, stone oven and you pick the toppings. The ala cartes phenomenal and the service was impeccable.. We had so many great servers gard to remember all their names and if you forgot something they went out of their way to track you down to return it..
The activities were much better here then at Playa coco beach volleyball daily anyone could join,,, pool games always a good laugh and an entertainment room full of fun.. My teen daughter had a great time with the entertainment staff who ensured she fondly remembered her trip to Memories Caribe.Luis and erald my hat goes off to you for all that you do and did to make our trip enjoyable.. We are already planning our next trip and plan to bring our friends who stayed at another hotel in Cayo Coco and were disappointed..
I cannot say enough that the negative reviews of this hotel are unfair at best.. Sometimes things go wrong such is life but it can happen anywhere so book this resort with faith from a fellow Canadian who has been on many Carribean trips it is more thn worth the money and you will leave being wowed by the treatment you received.
Mel and Lauren

Room Tip: we were in room 1517 and it had a great view of the hotel and close to the lobby
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
28 Thank melissa t
Montreal
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I was at Memories Caribe the week of February 5th with a group. We had sooo much fun and I can't wait to return!!!

The highlight of our trip was the entertainment staff who made us forget about the stress at home and have a great week filled with fun, laughter, dancing, games and more.... Gerard and Luis are two of the most amazing Cuban men that I have every met. They are professional and made sure everyone on the resort was having a good time. They are an amazing addition to the team and as long as they are there this will be my vacation spot once a year!

The Beach was outstanding! The pool a little cold but cleaned everyday by the hot poolboy ;)

The food was pretty good. They have a great pasta station and a grill station. They also have an omelet/pancake station in the morning that is really good. The piano bar has the best coffee for some reason so every morning we would get a take out coffee and bring it to the buffet to eat.

The shows were pretty good too. Really liked the 80's 90's disco night :) and if you go you have to go to the CAVE with the Luis and Gerard! It was an amazing night and an amazing place. You litteraly dance in a cave with the view of the moon through the natural "sunroof".

The rooms were very clean and spacious and the cleaning staff amazing too.

You wont regret your stay at this hotel. I will definatley be back next year!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank Mel1288
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This was my 3rd time visiting Cuba and my 4th resort - it's definitely 4/4. It wasn't bad but in comparison to other places I've been it's not great.

Check-in was a breeze. We arrived early so we had to leave some stuff in the luggage room because the rooms weren't ready - no problem. When we came back, the rooms were ready and the bell-hops took us to the rooms right away. All the rooms had something wrong with them (whether it was an ant infestation, toilets that didn't work or broken locks on the doors). The front desk staff appeared to be helpful at first but we quickly realized that wasn't true. After multiple times asking them to help we discovered that the only people who will actually get issues fixed are the girls in the customer service desk across the lobby (they also book a la cartes for you). It look a lot of time to get anything fixed and the issues were real...I mean, you have to have a toilet that flushes and a door that will lock. After that was dealt with, there weren't any issues in the room. The maids were good at keeping things cleaned though I don't think the floor was swept once. New drinks were brought to the mini fridge everyday and if you happen to be there when the guy comes he'll bring you whatever type of drink you want (coke/7up).

The food was mediocre. Anyone who's been to Cuba before knows that it's not going to be fantastic but there was enough food to eat and not starve. The buffet always had an omlette bar in the morning and pasta bar at lunch and dinner. That was pretty much was I lived off of. By the end of the trip they had fresh bread everyday which was delicious too. Little tip: If you bring the uncooked bacon/sausages to the guy cooking the eggs, he'll crisp those up for you too! The 24hr snack bar was a bit of a disappointment. They constantly ran out of food by about 10pm and just closed down for the night. Every once in a while they'd have food going until 1am or so with french fries and potato chips which was great.

The entertainment was alright. There weren't too many people who were interested in being involved in it and I'm not convinced they had all the activities that were advertised. For example, they said they had volleyball every morning on the beach but we went to play one day and there was no one there. The shows weren't too great either but the staff worked all day preparing for it and were very dedicated.

The beach was great. They have lots of chairs to go around and the water is beautiful. There aren't any other resorts in the direct vicinity to you really just have the beach to yourself. There are catamarans, kayaks and peddle boats to rent as well. We went on the horse back ride along the beach too (10 CUC) and it was pretty good. You got to see more of the beach and get some interaction with local Cubans. It was about an hour long but if you don't care about taking a stroll down the beach further then it's not worth the money.

We also did the catamaran day trip. It was pretty good. It was nice to be out of the resort for a day and each fresh food - we had a choice of lobster or chicken (and you know it was fresh because local fisherman delivered it to the catamaran while we were out at sea!). The snorkeling wasn't too great but you got to see some coral and get out on the open water. The 'virgin beach' they take you to was a joke. It's basically an island with trees and 1-2 feet of sand. They anchor the boat and you have to swim/walk into the beach - which is a walk among loads of seaweed and whatever else is living there. Not impressed with that piece.

Lots of cats around and there was also one random bull (yes, a bull) wandering around at night. That was quite a surprise walking to the room. Overall it was alright though. I think if I went back I'd try somewhere else. Varadero is the best place I've been if you want to really explore more of Cuba in a city area - and you can do trips to Havana which is pretty close by. If you want a more quite trip, Cayo Coco or Guardalavaca (Holguin) are good. They're both more secluded with less locals around. If I did go back to Cayo Coco though, I'd go to a different resort.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
8.9 km away
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Memories Caribe Beach Resort? Share your experiences!