“Amazing getaway and beautiful beach”
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
“Amazing getaway and beautiful beach”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I went to Tryp Cayo Coco in April 2011 with my bestfriend. He goes to Cuba twice a year and always travels to this resort. I understand why. I loved my vacation there. Our check in was quick and we found our room no problem. The commute from the airport to the hotel was quick.(10-15min) I am a very simple person and loved the atmosphere. The staff were super friendly and helpful. I never once felt pressured to tip even though i always did LoL. The food in my opinion was great. I love seafood and i have an extremely sensitive digestive system. I was worried about having issues with food but to my surprise i ate a lot and it was all tasty with no problems. I do not drink alcohol so i had juice, coffees, water, and virgin coladas Mmmmm... The pool was great and i was pleased with the depth. I am 6'0 tall and loved the fact the pool was great for me. I didn't feel like a giant female in a kiddie pool LoL My bedroom was always clean and well maintained. The A/C was very cold. Loved it! Great to come back to a nice cold room :) Yes it is out dated but who cares. I only used it to sleep and it served its purpose. The grounds are very well maintained and i enjoyed strolling through the grounds on my nightly walks. The best part: BEACH! The crystal clear blue waters and soft white sand! I love the ocean and spent countless hours swimming and enjoying it. I was in the ocean more than laying on the beach or by the pool. I also spent a lot of time lounging by the bar area upstairs. We lounged and chilled and got to meet numerous different individuals. I know the strong stench from the stagnant river runs under the hotel but it never bothered me. I only noticed it whenever i would go to the buffet and as i understand it is currently being planned to fix the issues. That smell would never prevent me from coming to this hotel. I recommend the horse back riding. We had tons of fun and the pictures came out amazing. The pizza at the Boat restaurant by the beach was the best. Mmm..I look forward to the seafood pizza. I didn't try the A la cartes since i could care less about them. The buffet was great for me and i loved breakfast! I will never forget Julio and Yamilet at the bar. Amazing people. I plan on returning in the 1st week of April and the end of May. My overall experience was great and i have many priceless pictures/memories. The staff definitely play a part in my decision to return to this resort and I plan on bringing my friends and family. Gracias a todos por una experiencia maravillosa!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank YelaStang
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear guest,

It is very nice to know that you have enjoyed your stay in our Hotel and that you are planning to come back in April or May with your family. Hope to see you here then. Thank you for your time.

General Manager.
Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,333)
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I would like to start by saying that I am not a picky traveller by any means. I have traveled to several all inclusives in Cuba, DR, and Costa Rica, and have a fairly decent idea of what to expect. This resort is not terrible, both me and my fiance had a good time, however, I would not return here, and would not reccomend it to any friends or family.

We travelled with Sunwing, which did a fantastic job of making the voyage to cuba and the hotel an easy and comfortable experience. The flight included drinks, wine, hot meals and towels. The transition from the airport to the resort was quick and easy.

Following check in, we had to cart our suitcases to the 400's building, which was a good walk away, given all the stairs and ramps. No one was there to assist us with this. Everyone knows not to expect wonders from the food in Cuba, and to be honest, the food wasn't too bad. The buffet menu never seemed to change on a daily basis, except for a few items here and there. I found myself constantly eating bread and butter, which isnt' what most people want to do on their vacation. I am an adventurous eater, but the buffet selection was very...blah. The 'cook as you wait' grills were good, but lines were very long, up to 25 mins for some. The a la cartes were great. Food was exceptional....the only catch is you had to wait upwards of an hour in line to book them.

The beach and grounds of this resort are second to none. The beach water is crystal clear, and the sand is flawless. This is one of the best beaches I have ever seen in my travels. The pools were very clean, the maintenance staff made sure of that, as with the grounds. The one draw back was the foul odour from the stagnant lagoon, over which the majority of the resort is built. I grew up on a farm, but the stench coming from that water was enough to make you gag and go back to your room on the way to dinner.

I found the staff to be, in general, unfriendly. On other trips, I always found the staff very nice, and I always made an effort to know all of them on a first name basis. However, at this resort, no one did anything out of their way to make you feel welcome. That was probably the most disappointing art of the trip.

Rooms were standard, yet very run down. On our first night, upon going to bed, I found that the maid had not cleaned the sheets after the residents prior to us, as the sheets and bed were covered in sand. The sheets I got the next night were ragged, and stained with some sort of orange sauce. The towels were in similar condition. On out last day, I awoke to find my back covered in bug bites from the beds. Watch for that. Beds were also exceptionally stiff.

Drinks were ok, but often, the bartenders put far too much alcohol in them, no matter how many times I asked for just a little. Wait times for drinks were also quite long compared to other resorts. In one instance at the beach bar, the bartender never once looked at me while I asked him for a drink, which was very rude and offputting.

One instance of the trip which was the most unsettling is when the currency exchange clerk attempted to steal 10 dollars from me. I had changed over 140$ canadian to pesos, only to receive 126$ back. I walked way for a minute, only to realize that I had just been scammed as 100$ canadain = 96 pesos. I went back to the lady 2 minutes later and asked what I should have recieved for 140$. She told me 136 pesos. I told her that she only gave me 126, and she proceeded to accuse me of trying to steal 10 pesos from the counter, and that I couldn't prove anything without a receipt (which I was not given). I continued to feud with her until she finally gave me the 10 pesos. I reccomend people to watch out for this, as I have read in other reviews of the same thing happening. I wonder how much money the house cleans off of unknowing people in a day.

Anyway, Tryp is not what I would call a terrible resort. However, much work needs to be done if it is to live up to the rating that it promises. With a little extra research, I believe most people can find another hotel and save a significant amount of frustration. I will not be returning here.

9 Thank Frank G
Dear guest,

we sincerely respect your opinion and we will take advantage of your comments for our job. We sincerely offer you apologies for any inconvenience and hope this experience do not interfere in your future for continuing coming to Cuba and the Hotels of our chain.

Toronto
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This resort has potential, but I found it very basic even for Cuba standards. I ended up with the worst food poisoning, and landed in the hospital for 2 days when I got back.The food was poor the service was not very good, and the overall experience was not good, I likely will not go back unless the resort does some major changes.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank thomas d
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear guest,

We can understand that you got a bad impression about the resort because you were ill, but there is not any prove of being food poisoning. We have had a lot of guests and there is not records of gastric illness never even on November while you were here. We do have a Doctor with a nurse that make daily sanitary inspections and hygienic conditions and food preparation is very seriously checked. Hope that you are already fine.

New Brunswick
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Ok it's not Cuba, it's Cayo Coco and well worth a visit. We stayed in building 12 on the top floor with a slight view of the ocean. Our room was clean and beds were comfortable, the very basics were there and really what else would you want. When we travel south we are interested in the beach and sun. This has to be one of the nicest beaches around, that is why we decided to go back to Cayo Coco for a second time. February is a hit and miss as it is the winter season so it was windy, however it was still warm and we could still take a dip in the ocean. We were fortunate to get one calm day and could snorkle right off the beach of the resort, hundreds of fish around us, that was amazing.
The resort itself is large with great service all around. We ate at three restuarants, Italian, International and BBQ. Each one offered a good selection that we found to be quite well done and tastey. The main buffet had a great variety, the stir fry with rice as delish along with your freshly cooked eggs in the morning.
All in all we found the Tryp to be good value with of course wonderful people.

Room Tip: Building 11 & 12 are located in a quiet section of the resort.
5 Thank THFitz
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad reading your review here. Hope to see you in our Hotel once again.

Belleville, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed at the Tryp Cayo Coco from the 11th Feb to the 18th Feb 2012.

Here is an honest review of the hotel. My wife and I have travelled to numerous resorts over the years and have a fairly good idea of what to expect when travelling to all inclusives. For this resort it would depend on what is important to you. So I will give some detail as to what was good, and bad, and what seems to be improving.
(Overall we had a good vacation and would consider going back)

Arrival at the aiport: (good)
It was easy to find our bus to take us to the resort. The bus ride from the airport to the resort was 10 mins. Beer was available for 2 pesos (convertible)

Check in: (great)
Quick, Friendly. They provided a key to the safe in the room. No charge. Just don't loose the key.

Public washrooms on the resort: (very good)
Very clean and nice. Even the washrooms down by the beach were very clean and newer.

Lobby area: (good)
Very nice. The main lobby bar was up high and overlooking the main pool with the ocean in the back drop. The design and layout of the bar was really cool.

Rooms: (bad for us, but renovations seemed to be happening)
We stayed in building number 8. The room was less than satisfactory. There were stains on the tile floor, rust stains in the tub, it was run down and beds were hard. The cleaning staff did a good job cleaning the room every day, however, the room was just dated and the only way to fix it was renovations.
We stayed on the second floor and several rooms on the first floor were being worked on, so maybe it will be renovated. We spoke to several people about the rooms and we had mixed reviews. Some stated their room was nice, and others had the same complaints as we did. So my guess is that they have renovated some rooms, and are currently renovated others, as we witnessed, and likley renovating more in the future.

Grounds: (one half was awesome, the other half was ok)
The grounds on on half the resort were beautiful. Especially at night. The other half was in need of attention. It looks as though they are making improvements to the grounds. Staff were working on the grounds everyday.

Pool: (very cool)
Two pools on the property. One large pool, with a nice kids pool next to it, and another pool in a more secluded and quiet area of the resort.
The pool was large and had a cool shape. Very clean. The pool had several bridges, and they actually took one bridge down and were building a new bridge when we were there.

Service: (very good)
This is were the resort started making up for the lack luster rooms. The service was very good. We did tip wait staff, however, they didn't make you feel like you needed to, or waited to see if you were going to tip them before they served you. The service at the main lobby bar was a bit slow. But alot of people wanted to drink there because of the awesome layout.

Beach: (very good)
This beach is absolutely one of the best beaches we have seen. Awesome soft white sand and clear blue waters. (Like the pictures you see.) They have little huts on the beach to shelter you from the sun. No problem getting chairs.
No venders.
No problem getting towels or exchanging them.

THE CUBA VACATION QUESTION. HOW WAS THE FOOD?
Food: (Very good)
The food was very good. Breakfast had stations for omellettes, french toast, pancakes, smoothies and eggs. Lunch and dinner had stations for FRESH fish, pasta and stir fry's, and beef and chicken. Plus the full buffet. Plus each night has a station that changed it up, eg. Sushi one night, lamb another etc.
Desserts were a bit bland.
There were line-ups at times, but nothing unusual for a resort of this size.
We did three A-la-cartes: I would recommend the International restaurant. The oriental and Fish one's were ok. We heard good things about the BBQ. It was booked the for the whole week we were there.
The lines to book the a-la-carte dinners were long and slow. Best to be there when it opens at 9am or whens she is back from lunch at 1:30pm.

The resort had a river running through it, and it smelled. I saw another persons review for the same week we stayed and they said it didn't smell, however, it did smell. I grew up on a farm and I have a strong tollerance for odours, but that river smelt like a sewer. This was definately a draw back.

Entertainent and the staff: (very good)
The animation teams worked very hard and were very involved in trying to make everyone's vacation fun and enjoyable. The pool area was happening every afternoon. The night shows were fairly good. Some people whined, but what do you want? Vegas shows? Then go to Vegas.

Tips:
Bring toilet paper for places like the airport and excursions. The washrooms will either have none, or you will have to pay.
Change your money at the resort. It cost me $12 to change $100 at the airport and only $4 at the hotel.

Excursions:
The cave bar we heard was excellent. The beach party (we attended) sucked. PILAR beach is a must. It's an hour bus ride on a local bus that cost $5 per person, but trust me, if you love beaches, GO.

22 Thank gtrudeau000
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for your comments. We consider them very useful. We are glad knowing that you enjoyed your stay and would consider coming back. Hope to see you again here.