“Great wooden chalets in the centre of the park”
Review of Hotel Donati

Hotel Donati
Reviewed 29 February 2016

This is a great place to use as a base for exploring this wonderful park. We came riding in on bikes and it was quite a harsh last two km at 35 degrees Celcius over the steep dirt road. When we were settled we felt we were at the right place for a day off in the park. The birding is great here - especially with our guide Hudson - although the hotel do Ype is still a better place to see toucans and hummingbirds. We saw squirrels and monkeys and some of us just lay down at the pool and enjoyed the rest,
The buffet restaurant is very good for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Highly recommended.

Room Tip: all the chalets are good and spacious
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 February 2016

A place if you want to experience the paradise. The hotel is in the middle of the park. Chalet is really spacious, wooden floor and interior, fireplace. Secluded place, romantic. Outside pool with natural water, inside pool with warm water, sauna. Very friendly staff, very kind and helpfull. Can organize an English guide. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included. The food is delicios, amazing restaurant and great music. Fantastic value for money

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2015

I recently spent a great week at Hotel Donati - the goal was to see as many of Itatia's birds as possible. The hotel is rustic (opened in 1931) but had everything I needed. The weather was spectacular, cool enough at night to enjoy my fireplace and shirt sleeves warm in the daytime - too cool for me to use the pools. In August, there were no biting insects in the forest. The room was clean, comfortable with plenty of hot water. The food was great, served buffet or family style, with more than ample servings and lots of variety. WIFI was available in the lounge almost all of the time - I was able to skype with my wife back in Canada most evenings. The day the local system collapsed, the staff kindly let me use the hotel's computer to send an email home. I felt very safe as I wandered the trails around the park - I saw more than 140 species of birds, two kinds of monkeys, peccary and a tayra (a large weasel).

The staff of the hotel were wonderful, friendly and helpful. Since I speak no Portuguese, we communicated with gestures and a few words of Spanish. Unlike other hotels in the park that I contacted when I was planning my trip, Donati replied in English almost instantly to my email requests for information.

If you want to see the Mata Atlantica (Atlantic Forest) , I can highly recommend Hotel Donati and Itatiaia National park.

Room Tip: WIFI available in Lounge
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2014

This hotel is quite and charmant,
You have every thing to occupy kids
Football volley table tennis swimming pool hot and cold billard, and also treck,
Food is great
Personal sympathic
Be sure to know how to make fire as there is no heater in the chalet
Otherwise you are surrounded by birds monkey
The only thing to take into account is that the road to get there is dedicated to 4X4, or cars elevated.
Entrance of the park is 50 reais for two for the week end, and then feel free to treck !

Room Tip: Chalet is nice to be
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vivgedeon
Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

Itatiaia is a wonderful place to stay, the forest and wildlife are fantastic. I have been to Brazil many times and sort of know what to expect in a forest pousada. You will find rustic chalets without comforts such as internet and a decent tv, and you cannot avoid some mustiness and damp feeling in them. Fair enough, but you can expect things to work eg hot water, and to be clean. Our chalets, 2 couples, were in very poor condition and the whole hotel needs maintenance wherever you look. The exception being the dining room where the food was a good standard and service also good. We also stayed at Hotel Ype further into the park which was frankly far superior and a bit cheaper. All these sort of hotels have big maintenance challenges but at Ype you sense they are being actively addressed whereas Donati has an air of resignation about it. Staff nice but no-one obviously in charge . If you do come here i strongly suggest you avoid the older chalets. Full board is now about £120 per day per couple, still not bad for 3 good meals in a fantastic setting but our accommodation was significantly below reasonable standards.

• Stayed: March 2013
10.8 km away
Hotel Fazenda 3 Pinheiros
Hotel Fazenda 3 Pinheiros
#1 of 1 in Engenheiro Passos

Been to Hotel Donati? Share your experiences!