“Welcoming”

Third Hill at DeMello Vineyards
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: You will find De Mello Vineyards nestled in the folds of the gorgeous Shenandoah Valley. We sit directly under Third Hill, one of the conspicuous landmarks in the valley, used as a signal station during the Civil War. Our little winery has amazing views and beautiful sunsets with a westerly exposure which our vines adore. Our terrior has the ideal components for an excellent wine with its limestone and clay soils. Our tasting room embraces the essence of the valley with reclaimed wood, an intricate walnut bar. Come and wine down at Third Hill Winery and experience the Shenandoah piece of mind.
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

This winery was empty when I arrived on a bleak Saturday afternoon. The owner was behind the bar and was very welcoming. They had seven wines to try and none of them were great. Several of them had a slightly chemical aftertaste. Since I was the only one there, the owner also let me try the white port which was very good. I left with a bottle of it (small bottle and very steeply priced) and escaped the room that was filled with fruit flies.

wecrushred, Owner at Third Hill at DeMello Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Hi! Although I regret you didn't think any of our wines were great, as a wine maker-winery owner, we understand that not everyone is going to appreciate our wines. So far, we've been very lucky that most of our customers like not just one, or two, but all of them. Everyone's palette is different, and I think I remember that you enjoyed sweet wines, and we make wines on the drier side, so I completely understand why you weren't happy. I am glad that you enjoyed our delicious port. The price point, after some research, is about average for a port. I totally agree with you about the fruit flies, they're awful this time a year, kind of an occupational hazard during and after harvest!
Third Hill Winery

in 6 reviews
"wines"
"taste"

Reviewed 2 October 2017

This winery is so beautiful!!! My sister and father were visiting from New York and we happened upon this winery. WoW!!! I cant say a negative thing about this place. The wine is yummy, the views are beautiful, the décor is so welcoming, and the owner is beyond friendly!! I only wish I lived closer ( we live in Luray). I will be back, but not soon enough! A BIG Cheers to Third Hill Winery!!

mellomach5, Owner at Third Hill at DeMello Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Thank you so much for such a nice review! It is important to us that our customers enjoy themselves, relax and drink our wines while soaking in the views of The Valley!

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Since DeMello Vineyards is right down the road, we go often to enjoy a glass of wine and catch up with friends and neighbors. The tasting room is large with a number of seating areas where you can sit and stay a while. The vibe is warm and very low key. There are wide decks across both levels which provide outdoor seating in good weather. Seating is also scattered across the lawn. We've watch dramatic clouds rolling across the fields as the sun set, enjoying a glass of great rose.

They also have entertainment on Saturdays/Sundays - jazz and blue grass groups - inside or on the outdoor pavilion. Food can be purchased but the menu is limited. You can bring your own picnic and round it out with a lovely bottle of Viognier or Cabernet Franc.

If you are visiting the Shenandoah Valley, definitely add DeMello Vineyards to your itinerary.

wecrushred, Owner at Third Hill at DeMello Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

Thank you for your very nice review, and thank you for visiting us. Ed and I strive to make our tasting room comfortable, relaxed, and homey, an atmosphere, both inside and out, to enjoy our wines. Yvette, we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 5 July 2017

We liked Third HIll better than the places we'd visited in Sonoma a couple years back. The owner was engaging and accommodating; he explained their wines and answered our questions about winemaking knowledgeably. The place is interesting and comfortable; they have used creativity and a keen eye for repurposing salvaged items in unique, fun ways (like hospital doors that line the stairway with portholes used as picture frames). They've created the perfect atmosphere for wine tasting! We loved it and enjoyed the wine!