“Roanoke's Best Deli”

R.T. Smith's Fine Delicatessen
Ranked #112 of 492 Restaurants in Roanoke
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Description: Classic New York Deli, classy catering.
Description: Classic New York Deli, classy catering.
Reviewed 28 October 2017

First of all, this is the only Roanoke deli with proper rye bread and dill pickles. The best has the genuine taste and texture of a NY rye bread. The dill pickles are crisp and have that sharp flavor that I recall from NY. I had the ham and cheese omelet which was omelet which was a little dry and too salty..... probably salty ham. The rye toast was excellent. My son's sandwich was piled high and delicious. I am told that the roast beef is made in house and I plan to return for a roast beef sandwich. The pricing was very reasonable and the staff very friendly.

I will be returning and highly recommend this deli.

RT S, Owner at R.T. Smith's Fine Delicatessen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2017

Thanks for coming down! We look forward to seeing you soon and can't wait for you to try our Roast Beef. Next time your omelette is a bit dry and salty, ask us. We will happily make another for you!

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Plain and simple, this is just a pretty darned good deli and place to get a good breakfast or lunch. While not a fast food joint for sure, they seem to take pride in making each sandwich just the way you want it with very fresh meats and veggies.

The baked goods are very good, even though I got some cookies in there recently that were a bit over done. But that gave them a bit more "homemade" character and not something just pulled from the supermarket aisle.

I've had several meals there, and my favorite was the Reuben. I've never been to NYC, so can't say it's as good as there, but it is as good as any Reuben I've ever had outside of NYC. Very fresh, very tasty, and very filling!

RT S, Owner at R.T. Smith's Fine Delicatessen, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Thanks! Keep checking back for more exciting foods to make you never have to visit NYC ever!

One more way we try to save you money!

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

Knowing this establishment is locally owned, I stopped in for lunch to support their efforts. They serve breakfast all day, but I was interested in their sandwiches. Decided on the Madison, which has an Appalachian flare by using apple butter as a condiment. Chose the fresh marbled rye as my bread. Delicious! Very friendly service. Also cool to know that the namesake belongs to a WWII fighter pilot.

RT S, Owner at R.T. Smith's Fine Delicatessen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2017

Thanks! We look forward to seeing you again! Next time add bacon to your Madison.. sends it right over the top!

Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

I passed this place many times. Then someone said positive things about it, so I went in. The folks were very friendly and accommodating. I ordered a hogie and got it small. The sandwich alone weighed 1 pound. It was one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. As a chef, I have a very hard time finding what I consider a good place to eat in Roanoke. I will be back here, again and again. Price was very reasonable.

1  Thank ChefZ2
RT S, Owner at R.T. Smith's Fine Delicatessen, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2017

As a fellow Chef, I know how hard it is to find that perfect place. Thanks for coming! See you next time!

-K

Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

The corned beef hash is excellent! Definitely not out of a can. Breakfast bagel sandwich was also very good.