“Good pho”

Pho Vietnam
Ranked #128 of 483 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 28 November 2014 via mobile

It's nothing special to look at but the pho is really good. Sometimes it's the unassuming exterior that holds the good food. My wife and I were recommended this restaurant by a Vietnamese friend of ours and we haven't been disappointed. Something to be aware of is that pho traditionally isn't packed full of flavor by itself, just fresh vegetables (they grow their own basil); hoisin sauce and Sriracha sauce added with lime juice give you your desired flavor.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Very large, older building (Clean) in need of renovations. Nice menu, but poorly prepared dishes. I ordered two dishes. Each delivered very large (enough for 4 people!). The shredded green papaya appetizer was 'just' not right. Restaurant used carrots, too much sauce, and the bits of shrimp not tasty. Oh well. at 11 bucks a lot of food but more than I needed. The Seafood Rice noodle soup was tasty but short on sea food. Scallops small and few, squid good but small. The artificial crab was too much and too overcooked and did not contribute to the dish. The huge bowl was full of rice noodles. At 12 bucks, too much for one person.
I wouldn't do it again.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Although the wonderful reviews by others who ate at this restaurant stimulated us to want to like this place, the unfortunate fact for us was that the restaurant itself was surprisingly poor. We arrived for a weekday lunch at 1PM and found the barren interior empty of all customers; we also found it dirty and in need of basic maintenance. Our table had a non-working empty napkin dispenser, cracked glass top, and empty or missing condiments. The food itself reminded us much less of the fresh ingredients and french influences we have come to expect when eating Vietnamese food, and much more of a fast food chinese buffet.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Of all Asian cuisines we love Vietnamese. We had just checked in and this was about a block away so we went in. The place is large, we were early but I bet it has times it is crowded. We love a good spring roll appetizer and this had lovely fresh shrimp and some mint, which is a great addition. The peanut sauce was divine. The menu is pretty standard, types of noodles, rice, meats in wonderful broths. Vern had the seafood and I had the egg noodle won ton, one of my favorites. There was a Lot of meat in my soup, excellent.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have been eating here since the place very first opened, and have also sent many a friend and family member this way who have all come back to me with raving reviews. The food is excellent. Absolutely wonderful. Never had anything besides exceptional. The only negative is that it is family run by a husband-wife team, so when things get busy, service can be a little slower than we are used to in America. My suggestion would be to bone up and wait it out because the food you get will ABSOLUTELY be worth the wait!

My favorites are #5 the BBQ pork spring roll (soft rice paper spring roll w/ veggies and nuoc mam (fish sauce) not deep fried) and #13 the simple pho with just the eye round in it. I did go through a spell though where I just told the owner I was hungry and let him choose what I ate that day. I tried many different things, like the clay pot fish, that I wouldn't have ever tried otherwise. At that time, my paychecks were loaded with overtime money, and if I was in there any less than 5 times a week they thought I was dead. This went on for several months even! I still try to make it in as often as possible, and it is still great. Nothing like pho on a coooold winter day!