“Neat place!”
Review of Champloo Desserts

Champloo Desserts
Ranked #2 of 3 Dessert in Salem
Price range: US$2 - US$8
Description: Champloo Dessert specializes is handcrafted rolled ice cream, boba teas, fusion teas, coffees and other seasonal desserts. We take pride in the quality of our products and we put our customers first.
Reviewed 2 August 2017

Rolled ice cream... whhaaaat!? Handcrafted rolled ice cream alone was enough to get us there, then you add in the unique flavors and we were sold!

All of the staff is awesome and very friendly. Even great to the kids that come to watch them prepare the ice cream.

If you ever are in Salem, you've got to give this place a try!

Champloo D, Owner at Champloo Desserts, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Thank you very much JajulVA! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

My husband and I finally got to visit this place and it was kinda busy or just looked it because it's such a small place. I was so excited, until I was actually waiting and my husband got his ice cream 10 minutes before I got mine! his melted waiting on me, so he wasn't happy at all. There was way too many employees and I was kinda getting anxious watching people come behind the main counter and walk back and and forth to the back room and never once saw an employer change his gloves :/ I swear I counted at least 15 different employees ? And while one of the employees was making the ice cream he was talking on his cell phone?!

All in all the ice cream tasted great when I finally received it.

We are just going to stick with Salem ice cream parlor.

1  Thank Kaitlyn D
Champloo D, Owner at Champloo Desserts, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

Hello Lsufa and I'm sorry you had a poor experience. Something must have went terribly wrong as what you described shouldn't happen. Our back room is part of our prep room where we make our drinks and prep Specialty Flavors ice cream. The health department know of this process and as far as we know, this isn't a concern. If you believe that there is a concern, I'll be happy to double check with the health department.

At any given day and time, we do not have more than 7 employees working. I'm sorry you had that impression. Perhaps, we seem friendly enough with our customers that may come off wrong with you. We do try to chat with our customers and we do know many from them coming in often.

Can you please let us know what date/time you came in? I'll definitely look into what employee was using their cell phone. All of all employees had food handing safety (ServSafe) training so things like this shouldn't have happen. I am very very sorry it happen while you were here.

I hope you'll give us another try someday. Again, I'm very sorry and please feel free to call/text us (540) 999-1229 and I'll make sure you'll have a great experience next time.

Khanh

Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

The novelty of the place itself is worth the visit. Handcrafted rolled ice cream and boba tea don the menu. There are a lot of combos but it seemed most appropriate to get Thai tea ice cream which did not disappoint. Two reasons not to give five stars. First, the staff wasn't friendly upon entry. They weren't unfriendly, just a missed opportunity. The other reason is the spoons. That seems silly, and they are novel (color-changing) but far too flimsy for the style of ice cream. BYOSpoon. Needless to say, I'd frequent this place if I lived in Salem.

Champloo D, Owner at Champloo Desserts, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2017

Hi Amanda!
Thank you for your review and I'm sorry we missed the opportunity to befriend you. Sometimes we're caught up with too many things and forget about the "customers first". We train our staff to be as friendly as possible and we always thrive to be nothing less.

When we first started, we had a survey and the flimsy yet cooler spoon was picked over the stronger standard spoon. Due to limited storage space, we picked the former. I am happy to inform you that we now offer 2 options for spoons! We have a heavy duty one and we still have the magical color changing ones.

We hope you'll give us another visit and possibly add a star to your review.

Thanks!

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

If there is such a thing as artisan ice cream, this is it. Beautifully prepared and presented ice creams, unusual for area. Flavors good but less strong than I expected. Interesting to watch the preparation process. Can be crowded and/or echo-y loud, so go for a walk with your ice cream if desired. Ice creams around $5 a full cup. Large selection of bubble teas and frozen lemonade. Walkable from Roanoke College, across from RM Johnson and Son's Jewelry. Excellent mother-daughter date spot.

Thank you regiontravelreturns for your detailed and helpful review! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

We went during the week so it wasn't very crowded. The ice cream was very good. I got the girl scouts thin mints and my daughter got strawberry. I did like hers better but they were both very good. I can't wait to go back and try more flavors. My daughter and I had fun watching them make it in front of us too! We paid around $5 a piece for the cup of ice cream.

Thank you Jessica for your review! We're continuing to improve wait time and we've gotten a lot better. Even when it seems crowded, we can serve people relatively quickly. We hope you'll give us a try even on a busy day and see how we've grown.

Thanks!

Been to Champloo Desserts? Share your experiences!