Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Nice walk with history along the way

My husband and I visited. Its a short walk throught the woods to the old fort. People should... read more

Reviewed 4 September 2018
328leticiac
Portsmouth, Virginia
via mobile
Good Visit

Learned about Fort Huger while visiting Isle if Wight museum in Smithfield. Made the drive to the... read more

Reviewed 17 August 2018
Bart M
via mobile

All reviews nice walk james river placards earthworks ghost woods path cannon trees information
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

We made an impromptu stop to visit the fort. The walk out to the fort site was beautiful. There are placards along the path, sharing tidbits of information which helped to set the stage for the actual fort. The earthen fort was fairly large and you can still see the surrounds. There were observation playforms, but it was hard to see the river due to the trees. All-in-all, it was an enjoyable hour.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 13 July 2017

My husband decided to go it alone so myself and toddler stayed in the car. He came back, said it was nothing good to see. He took a lot of pictures for me, but yes, a lot of the signs were unreadable/ruined by weather maybe? It was in the middle of NOWHERE. Went here bc I love Civil War history and bc it was listed on the Smithfield brochure of things to do, so I thought it would be awesome. Will not return.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 3 May 2017

The walk to the earthen works was quite lovely, passing through a nice wooded area. The fort itself was average for a temporary military encampment of its time. It is in need of new information placards.....they were all water stained so you could not read all the historical facts. Worth a visit if you are a history buff.

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed 28 November 2016

We toured Fort Huger. It was your typical fort of the day. Yes it was nice to say we were there. We did learn some history. If you have the time, stop and tour it. If you don't, stop by the next time you are in the area.

Date of experience: November 2016
Reviewed 13 April 2016

Maybe I'm ill informed, but here in Maine when we talk about forts of this age they are stone. I did not know that forts could be built with nothing but dirt. I was amazed by the elaborate design and the fore thought that went into the location. Knowing nothing about this site I was able to gain knowledge just by reading the plaques. There was some walking involved from the parking lot to the actual fort, but the path and bridge were very well maintained.

Date of experience: April 2016