“Don't waste your money if you are looking for a real Bed and Breakfast.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stanley
White Fence Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Stanley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 November 2016

Please note first that all reviews prior to 2013 are for the previous Owner's not the current Owner's! We had a couples weekend in November 2016 and decided to stay at a Bed & Breakfast. We chose this B & B because of it's proximity to Luray Caverns and the wonderful reviews we read. The cottage we stayed in was clean and quaint. There were some issues we noticed right off though that were a little concerning. There was a pile of gas cans and propane tanks in a pile next to where we parked. Also most of the light bulbs were out in the ceiling fan, bar soap already opened and used on the bathroom sink, moldy toilet and shower. In the breakfast area there were 2 croissants and a cinnamon bun wrapped in plastic, along with a few bottles of water, a banana, and an apple. We were not sure what to make of this. When our friends showed up who were staying in the other cottage we went with them to check out their cottage. Dust/Dirt on the ceiling fan at least an 1/2 inch thick. Everything in their refrigerator was expired. (My friend e-mailed the Owner about this after our weekend and the Owner actually accused my friend of putting the expired food in the refrigerator, we have this all in writing from the Owner). Friday Morning arrives and we are expecting a breakfast basket or an invite to the main house for breakfast. None comes. My husband called the Owner, no answer so he left a message. After we ate breakfast at the diner down the road (absolutely delicious by the way) my husband received a text message from the Owner stating that she was in the middle of making bake goods for her restaurant and she had planned to bring some down to us that evening. Never happened. She also left a message on my husband's voice mail stating that they no longer serve breakfast and they stopped that about a year ago. What they do offer is a continental breakfast that they bring to your door each morning. Although the website clearly states that you have a choice of a breakfast in the main house or a continental breakfast delivered to your door. Also encouraged us to go to the restaurant she owned for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and we would receive a 15% discount. Huh? We are already spending $150 a night at a B & B that does not serve breakfast! Saturday morning a little after 10:00 the Owner did come to our cottage with a basket of baked goods (looked like doughnut holes from Dunkin doughnuts and some grocery bought buns of some kind, along with 2 smoothies in styrofoam cups. My husband thought the smoothies were delicious! My husband did confront Mary about the website saying they serve breakfast in the house and she apologized and has since(after our stay) had the website redone to no longer include the house breakfast. We asked her about why we did not receive Breakfast Friday morning since we did arrive Thursday evening and she stated the 2 croissants, bottled water, apple, banana, and cinnamon bun left in our cottage wrapped in plastic Thursday evening was our Friday morning breakfast. After the baskets were delivered to my friends and us we were getting ready to go on some more adventures when my friend notifies me there was a bug crawling through her food in the basket under the plastic wrap! EWWWW!!!! If you are looking for just a little cottage to sleep in without the breakfast this is ok. But if you are looking for a real Bed and Breakfast keep looking!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diana S

Reviewed 29 November 2016

Run Run Run!!! Do not book a room here! These people are crooks! What is advertised is not what you get. It's not a bed and breakfast as you don't get breakfast. the website states you get to pick a continental breakfast or a home cooked meal in their dinning room. We were even allowed in the main house. From the windows it looks like a hoarder lives there. They did leave a few things in the room which consisted of expired yogurt, expired apple juice and a half full container of nasty half and half on it's last leg. You couldn't pay me to drink that. The sugar container was disgusting! Friends of ours stayed in their other room and it was no better over there. My friend questioned Mary about what was advertised and she said "We stopped doing that a year ago because all of our time is spent at our restaurant" She offered us to eat at her restaurant and get 15% off the bill. Are you kidding me...I wasn't giving them another penny! Not to mention the restaurant reviews are terrible. They are running two businesses right into the ground. Half the light bulbs in the place were either missing or burnt out. The soap dispenser was empty. No means to emptying the trash. Oh' she did bring us over some store bought pastries that were not wrapped tight and had a bug crawling through them. She only did this after my friend complained to her. She promised us baked goods because she was baking for the restaurant. That didn't happen. There is also 2 robes advertised on the website which they didn't exist. The grounds are run down. There was a broken down car in front of our cottage and and junk yard next to it. It looks nothing like the website. You are better off staying in a cheap motel down the street. This place is a complete rip off! I sent Mary an email about my complaints and she never responded. What a great business you are running!

Room Tip: There are junk yards next to your room! Enjoy!
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank klolfers
Reviewed 2 August 2016

White Fence is not really a Bed and Breakfast. Its more of a cabin rental. The cabin was cute and very clean. The outside of the property is in need of a clean up. The fire pit area was very over grown with weeds. Its a shame because driving onto the property it looks like the outside needs a lot of TLC. Breakfast consisted of Crossants and sweet rolls. (Store bought) Mary did make smoothies the first morning The refrig. had OJ and Oskos yogart that was expired. They also do not have a turn down service at night. My advice is bring a trash bag. We ordered take out the first night and thought the trash would be taken the next day. It was not. Once you check in you are on your own. If you just want a cabin rental with a microwave and refrig. ,no breakfast, stay here. The cost to stay was high . We will never return.

Room Tip: Chose a real Bed and Breakfast
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2016

My girlfriend and I spent a weekend here in June for a quick getaway. This is not a traditional 'bed & breakfast' in the traditional sense. The bed part was a 'home run', we had a rather large cabin set up against a quiet yard, with an electric fire-place, AC, quasi-kitchen (microwave and mini-fridge). Very nice, made you feel like you had a place of your own in the country. The breakfast was where it diverges a bit, don't expect a full fresh made meal at the table of the host. In the quasi-kitchen, there will be a selection of breads, some hard-boiled eggs, plenty of tea and coffee. The host will come by at 9ish to present a good fresh made fruity smoothie, but that's about it. Now, I'm not a breakfast person in general, so it was all good by me, but I can see how others might have different expectations. Set them before you go and you'll be happy. The key thing about this place is it's location. 2 minutes away there is a very nice stable for horseback riding (Jordan Hollow Stables), and a vineyard (Wisteria Farm and Vineyard), so you can't go wrong there. You're an easy drive to Luray and an entrance to Skyline Drive (near several of the famous waterfall trails). All in all, an excellent place at a good value.

Room Tip: We had the cottage with 'green shutters', very nice. Not sure if there are rooms in the mai...
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2016

Looking forward to staying at White Fence Bed and Breakfast. I always look forward to the breakfast at B&Bs. I understand breakfast here is: "we serve a continental breakfast. Usually, fruit, fruit juices, muffins and hard boiled eggs." We are going for a girls weekend. Maybe you have to be a couple for top treatment? Looking for feedback from others who stayed here.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends

Been to White Fence Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!