“O.k. Thai..Off-Season Quiet Visit”

Ubon Thai Victorian Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 143 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

We are regular "year -end" travelers to Staunton, and decided to try something different. Ubon's Thai Restaurant and Inn fit the category. Located a little from the downtown Staunton restaurant "district" we were the only customers in the brightly decorated (for the holidays) dining area. Owner Ubon was the cheerful & helpful hostess as described in other TA reviews. We ordered the fresh spring rolls and dumplings for appetizers..both delicious.I ordered hot tea and partner had a red wine. For dinner we had a veggie dish and a shrimp dish..both served with rice. If you want "thai hot" it is available-if you dare.

Reviewed 20 May 2017

Excellent home cooked Thai food. Loved the atmosphere it's funky and eclectic in that two world have collided. Ubon is warm and kind and makes you feel welcome right away.

I got the larb (lab) with shrimp. Haven't really had that authentic flavor outside of SE Asia. She uses shrimp paste and if you don't know your stuff this can dramatically backfire but just right and it's outta this world, and this nailed it. My Hubby got pad Thai. It was also good but definitely a saucier browner variation of it, closer to hawker style (like the char Kew Tao in Malaysia) over the dryer peanut heavy version you get wrapped in banana leaves. Kids got fried rice and sate. The peanut sauce was to die for. It almost tasted like it had mint in it, I would have like to eat it by the spoonful it was that good. My guess is she uses galangal and makes it from scratch. The fried rice was also delicious. I'm not usually a fan of fried rice but i tried it while I waited for my dish. It had just the right spices and flavors. It's not crunchy like Chinese fried rice and was not greasy at all. I will say it's pricy but if you want service and authenticity along with a one of the kind experience it's worth it. The house itself is cute. Definitely needing some renovations but it's loved and full of heart. The yard/patio is great for restless kids to explore while you wait or to sit and enjoy a drink afterwards.

Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

I LOVE this place! We just went in for the first time and I was so impressed with Ubon and her amazing food. This is the most authentic Thai I've ever had in the US or abroad. And I have traveled a lot. We already have plans to go back next week. Everything is made from scratch and just to die for.

1  Thank Taylor W
Reviewed 26 December 2016

Two friends and I (we all live alone) decided to go here on Christmas Day as it was one of the few places open. The food was reasonably good and the price for the "special". Christmas buffet was only $15. The small selection on the buffet was mostly "starches": There was turkey, two kinds of potatoes and no vegetables except for a tossed salad. What was an excellent dish of "candied" yams was labeled carrots and was identified by the server as carrots. Asked about a Thai noodle dish on the buffet the waiter replied that he "did not know what it was called, but it was good" (which it was).When we asked about dessert we were not given a choice; however, the owner brought us a single very large serving (with three spoons) of a "pie like" item, with only the explanation that it was a "Thai dessert" (which was good). Ubon, the owner, and the young waiter were both very nice. We were the only customers in the restaurant from 6:00 to 7:30.

Reviewed 3 November 2016

Some of the best Thai food I've ever eaten. Simple menu, fresh ingredients, great quality, and friendly staff. One of the best meals we had in Staunton! Ubon was so sweet; even giving us suggestions on how to eat dishes and which spices to add. So accommodating! And a nice walk to the restaurant through a lovely old neighborhood is highly recommended!