“what a great cannoli!”

Giancarlo Fine European Pastries
Ranked #2 of 4 Bakeries in Staunton
Reviewed 7 September 2016

Found this out of the way place on Trip Advisor, and it was worth it! We were warmly greeted by the owners, and soon were chatting as if we were old friends. It was so interesting listening to Giancarlo and his love of creating great desserts.
We had the cannoli, croissants, éclair and a apple pastry, All great, but the cannoli was fantastic! Loved the cream inside, the sheep's milk does make a difference. They are only open Friday and Saturday, so next time we are in the area we will be back!

Reviewed 14 January 2016 via mobile

It's an honor and privilege to know this Italian pastry chef who works in a traditional way. All of Giancarlo's creations are completely unique. Only open on weekends stop by this quaint little shop and speak to the chef and his lovely wife in person or order a custom cake or pastry for your special event. Nothing better than Guancarlo's pastries and cakes!

Reviewed 16 December 2015

Love this place. Some of the best chocolate you will ever fine. You need to look him up on the internet as his hours are I believe only Friday and Saturday. His business is in his home and is difficult to find. It is worth the effort. Try to get their for the Holidays and he makes up some really great specials including a Yule Log Cake.

Jim Putbrese

Reviewed 9 November 2015

My mom is a huge dessert snob. She is the type of person who will gladly skip dinner if it means having the perfect chocolate mousse cake of French pastry. So, when I decided to take her and my dad to Staunton for a birthday weekend, I started to look around for good pastry shops in the area. Giancario's came up on Tripadvisor with stellar reviews, so I decided to give this little shop a try. The shop is run out of the back of Mr. Giancario and his wife, Jane's, home. Jane and I discussed at length what type of cake to surprise my parenst with, and in the end I decided to buy two small ones because I couldn't decide between them. The first cake was a diplomate mousse with raspberries, a bit of orange liqueur, and a think chocolate ganache top; the second cake was a hazelnut buttercream with a bit of apricot.

The cakes were superb. Moist, flavorful, rich, beautifully decorated... my mom was so thrilled that the next day she insisted we go back to the pastry shop, where we had a lunch of about 8 different types of pastries. Truly, every single one was delicious... not a bad one in the bunch.

Giancario himself is also so wonderful. He is clearly passionate about his craft, and considers pastry making a serious art. He takes so much care with his ingredients, method, and preparation, that it's no wonder he receives consistently high reviews.

Do yourself a favor, and make the slight detour from downtown to try Giancario's. Your taste buds will thank you.

Reviewed 26 October 2015

It's all in the quality ingredients, which can be tasted with every bite. This is a tiny bakery, tucked into a residential neighborhood and accessible via the alley behind the owner's house. Be sure to take home one of everything: you won't be able to pick a favorite! They are open only on Friday and Saturday, but do special orders that can be picked up on other days of the week. Giancarlo also does chocolates, so don't miss this for your next special event, wedding, holiday party ... you will get raves from your friends. Best kept secret in Virginia. No kidding.

1  Thank marchhare355