Alamar Resort Inn(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$134
Atrium Resort(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
US$178
US$95
US$89
19 Atlantic Hotel(Virginia Beach)
US$144
US$199
Beach Carousel Motel(Virginia Beach)
US$129
US$119
Red Roof Inn Virginia Beach(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
US$68
Hotels.com
US$112
US$229
US$284
All reviewshidden pearlindoor pooltwo room suiteevery staff membersink areaclean hoteloceanfront viewparking passprivate balconyfamily vacationmini fridgedefinitely stay here againtowelsboardwalkelevatorhousekeepingfireworks
Reviewed 21 March 2008

A mother at my daughter's Cheer & Dance Gym suggested this hotel for a stay for one of our cheer and dance competitions in Virginia Beach. I wanted to stay at the Fairfield Inn and Suites Marriott that i had stayed at before but I brought a friend with me and wanted to keep costs to a minimum, but you do get what you pay for. The off season rates are phenomenal. The hotel's furnishings was so outdated it was unreal it's beyond description. We had a two bedroom suite. Our room however was one of the spacious hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. The first room had two double beds and then past the kitchen and bathroom area there was a livingroom area with another bed. It was pretty spacious for 5 of us. We stayed for two nights and it had a pretty oceanfront view overlooking all the happenings on the beach, that was my favorite part. Parking was limited, but there was more parking space across the street. Although, it was a great location, I most likely won't recommend this place or stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2006
Reviewed 6 January 2008

Listen up, of all the hotels I've stayed in the past, stay here once and you’ll be as happy as me.
We were looking for a two or three night stay in Virginia Beach, and found it difficult to afford the newest big hotels Virginia Beach has to offer. And let's face it, you really don’t spend that much time in the room. We were over all pleased with the reviews posted here and the cost we found when calling. So we gambled on The Capes. We'd never stayed at an independent hotel before. The location was directly in the center of the beach only one block off the interstate.
Listen to my wife and you'll know that I'm not easily impressed. From the front desk, to the room, to the cafe, to the people -- this was a very nice stay. Congrats, Capes!
I saw cleaning people polishing the elevator interior, washing windows, vacuuming, dusting railings, and doing other things that you wouldn't commonly expect to see.
The two room suite was very nice and well worth the rate. Bed was even comfortable. No offending odors. Best of all this was a non-smoking hotel. When we arrived, the living room had taken on a little heat from the afternoon sun (we were facing east looking straight at the Atlantic ocean on a 100 degree day, so that's understandable), and the AC quickly caught up.
The housekeepers did an excellent job and the staff was always pleasant and accommodating.
One day our key card didn't work, but that was quickly resolved. The wireless was strong and proved to be useful to keep in touch with things back home. They even faxed some paperwork for me.
Parking was convenient for Virginia Beach, we were lucky enough to always end up four or five spaces from the front door every day. I saw only one elevator, but that didn't seem to be a problem. Nice small indoor pool, but we didn't have time to use it.
Aquarium is 5 minutes away. Town center 15 minutes. We'll do it again sometime soon.
Try it and you’ll be impressed like me. Compared to other hotels in Virginia Beach it’s a great value for the money.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jbl56891
Reviewed 15 October 2007

We (two couples) were going to visit Virginia Beach for a quick two day trip. I read the reviews of The Capes and was impressed with the descriptions. I called that morning for an arrival in about three hours, hoping they had something available. Luckily our trip was mid-week, off-season and so they had two oceanfront rooms side by side available for us. The rate was $69 a night - which is a great price since we were expecting to pay a bit more. What a pleasant surprise. Upon arrival we were greeted at the desk, registered quickly and then off to our rooms on the 3rd floor (what a great view). First off, we wanted to make sure everything was clean and in good order, the fridge, microwave, coffee maker, bathroom, etc. The room was great - very clean with a nice kitchenette. Both rooms appeared to be recently renovated and were spotless. I can easily see families staying here for a week or more. The hotel is right on the beach and has an excellent view of the ocean. If you want to see what you are getting visit their web page --- what you see is what you get. The location is excellent as it is located right on the boardwalk, yet the room was very quiet. If you plan to use the kitchenette facilities and do not want to use the car there are many convenience stores within walking distance. The restaurants along the boardwalk provided a good selection of food. After speaking with other guests during our visit we found that many guests have been coming to The Capes for years which in itself speak for the location, friendliness, and cleanliness of this hotel. We are already planning to make another trip to explore more of Virginia Beach and will definitely stay at The Capes again.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank scottkristin1850
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Highlights:
1. LOCATION: We'd never been to VA Beach, which turned out to be less-than-upscale, but within the confines of this lower-middle-class tourist mecca, The Capes has a great, central location. Right off the highway and right in the middle of the boardwalk, The Capes offers accessibility to many options.
2. BEACH VIEWS: All the rooms have beach views from private decks. Awesome! Loved to hear the waves crashing.
3. FRIENDLY STAFF: The staff were friendly and helped us make dining and entertainment choices.
4. BIKE RENTAL DISCOUNT: The above-mentioned staff gave us a coupon for 50% off bike rental, and riding a two-person tricycle on the beach was my husband and my favorite activity!

Lowlights:
1. LINENS: As mentioned in other posts, the towels are skimpy at best, and the bed linens remind me of the type one sends her kids with to summer camp. The sheets, blankets (and pillows) were old, thin and not comfortable. The Capes needs desperately to update their linens.
2. OLDER HOTEL: Although mostly clean, the hotel could certainly benefit from renovations, including the pool area and (closed) snack bar.

Summary:
We booked The Capes for Columbus Day weekend because of its high TripAdvisor rating and the lack of vacancy at hotels rated even higher. At $230 (total w/ tax) for 2 nights, we felt satisfied with the rate. However, preferring more upscale accommodations, we might not return to The Capes or VA Beach until the area is renovated.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DCmetrodogmom
Reviewed 8 September 2007

We stayed at the Capes for 4 nights in late August 2007. We had a double room which includes a room facing the ocean with 1 double bed, the kitchenette/bath area & a room facing the street with two double beds. The hotel was not 100% full, but almost full during our stay.

What we liked about the Capes is that the front desk was very friendly, parking was available, convenient and non-valet, the location was great (right on the beach) and we did not hear a sound from the adjoining rooms (above/below/next door) during our stay. The ktichen & rooms were very clean when we arrived, and you can get a very good gyro sandwich at the cafe attached to the hotel.

The only things that future guests should realize is that the bathrooms are on the small side, (although the vanity had a lot of counter space), there are no utensils provided (even disposable) with the kitchen, and that the beds are double beds. We were very comfortable there and would stay again

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family