“One of the Worst”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Warrenton
Bellaire, Michigan
“One of the Worst”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We ended up at the Howard Johnson Hotel and almost left. The carpet was so filthy. There was mold on the ceiling in the bathroom. The curtains were falling down on the end. The worst was the odor in the place. I couldn't wait to get out of there. On the positive side, the bed was comfortable and I slept. The breakfast had stale rolls.

Room Tip: I don't know if there is a good room. Maybe the newer section is better than the old one we wer...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Las Vegas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

cleanhotels.com said this hotel has a business center but it does not. The check-in lady was very nice, but said they only have free wi-fi in the rooms. I left my laptop and IPad at home assuming I could check company email, check flight status, and print boarding ticket at the hotel, but could not. Also, the rooms were inside but the door to outside at end of hallway had no locks and open to anyone off the street. The rooms were clean, but much older, a bit in disrepair, and muggy smelling. Bed was comfortable. Best part was no X-rated filthy movies.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FamilyinVegas

Travellers are raving about these Warrenton hotels

Silver Spring, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

It's really a shame that the Howard Johnson name has taken a hit over the years. I can remember staying in them as a child with my parents when we traveled and needed to stay somewhere on a budget. It was no Ritz Carlton, but it was clean and quiet. Unfortunately, it seems that the Howard Johnson of Warrenton has not received a new set of blankets or new carpeting since the 70s. I have stayed in all kinds of places, in many countries, and have a pretty open mind to accommodations, but I do have standards and elements of a hotel experience that have to measure up for me to give a glowing review. Cleanliness, age, water pressure, quiet.

The check-in area was not attached to the hotel but had all the signature characteristics of a HoJo - that big spire, the orange-shingled roof and oddly shaped building. The space was nice enough, but with no signs or painted instructions on the pavement, the breezeway normally set aside for check-in was a dangerous thruway back into the hotel. But that wasn't the best part of check-in. It was the young couple who grew impatient with OUR check-in process and asked for the 'application to fill out' so they could get their room. The diarrhea of expletives that flew out of the young lad's mouth when he learned that they were sold out was priceless. At what point is it a hotel's fault that they've become a no-tell motel? I don't know, but the satisfaction on the clerk's face at being able to turn them away was priceless.

The parking area - I'm pretty sure there were fewer spaces available than there were rooms and that created a problem. What was there was very narrow and seemed to shrink as though in Wonderland when the 'duallies' and conversion vans started rolling in. Our little Scion was a speck by comparison.

The hallways - windows with no screens, wide open. I'm all for fresh air, but not for late summer bug life having a welcome mat to just outside my doorway.

The room - clean enough, though there was obvious wear in the carpet, in some places down to the weave holding the fibers in place. All appliances were unplugged, so it took a while for the fridge to cool down, and there was no alarm clock anywhere. Pulled back the fairly new looking comforter to find a blanket so pilled, so worn there were actually places where the light came through it. The sheets were clean - THANK GOD, but I made the mistake of trying to sit on the edge to put on my shoes and nearly rolled right off it.

The shower - the final disappointment. The water got plenty hot, but it barely came out of the shower head. Thankfully the showerhead had settings and putting it on massage (the hardest pressure on the dial) forced the water out just enough to be able to rinse my hair. Also thankfully they do not use a water softener - otherwise it would have taken an eternity.

Finally, safety - There was nothing to indicate that it was a dangerous location, but it definitely felt like it. Poorly lit, though fenced in parking was one problem. The hotel was sort of wedged back behind another business (not set back like some of the newer hotels are, but squeezed in between a restaurant and a neighborhood) and made me feel like if something happened no one would know I was back there. The back door of the hotel was wide open at all hours - not unlocked, wide open. Even when I shut it behind me, I went out to my car later and found it wedged open again.

So... not the worst hotel experience I've ever had, but a far cry from the best. The price was only $59 a night and while I've been pretty good at getting great rates for great rooms, this was one of those instances when I got exactly what I paid for.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

- Smelly Room and Bathroom
- Noisy doors/ cracked windows
-The next morning, our body was itchy so we think there are bed bugs on the bed
- The manager on duty "V. Patel" was not willing to address the issues when I talked about it.
So, don't waste your money, spend 10 more dollar and enjoy your night. Don't ruin you vacation or any other trip...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Washington DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

We chose Ho Jo's because we thought a brand name hotel would have a good standard. Not.

The sour smell in the room hits you when you first enter, especially in the bathroom, and then we didn't notice it, so we didn't ask for another room (office is in another building). Then we smelled it again.

Not dirty or noisy - we were at the back. Carpet was ok. The poor-condition sliding door opens onto "patio" that merges seelessly with an isolated access road. It's "secured" by a lightweight aluminum bar, slightly bent.

Bathroom had screw holes in the wall, no robe hook, small, damaged counter, a poorly installed tub surround, and a potentially slippery tub with nothing to hold onto getting in and out to shower. Short one face towel. Small coffee maker had one coffee packet.

AC blows directly onto the bed - I placed a bedcover-draped chair in front of it. Mattress not terrible, but not good. It's soft, uneven, and the whole bed wobbles like a water bed when one partner rolls over. (And we didn't test it further!)

Part of the hallway smelled of cigarettes. Small spider webs in ceiling corners (I like spiders better than what they must be eating).

The room has a safe, microwave and fridge, and they have an outdoor pool.

• Stayed July 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warrenton
2.3 km away
34.5 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
19.6 km away
Hampton Inn Gainesville-Haymarket

Been to Howard Johnson Inn - Warrenton? Share your experiences!