“Nice house ...Great Tour guide”
Review of Abram's Delight

Abram's Delight
Ranked #10 of 48 things to do in Winchester
Reviewed 30 July 2017

We have been to Winchester a number of times but this was our fist visit to Abram's Delight. don't make the same mistake as we did. You must proceed to the Hollingsworth Mill to purchase your ticket and pick up your guide. we walked around the whole house looking to get in. If you are going to see Washington's office and Stonewall Jackson's home, be sure to buy a pass for $10 at the mill. It'll save you $5. My tour guide was terrific. She was very funny and good story teller.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

I have been to many old houses in my travels and on my adventures and this is one of the nicer ones. This house sits right by the Winchester Visitor Center and is easy to get through either through town or off I-81. You must proceed to the Hollingsworth Mill to purchase your ticket and pick up your guide. The ticket is just $5 and the tour was much longer than I anticipated. The House has period pieces and lots of items that are typical of colonial homes. I did learn one interest fact about what a cooling bench is (seen before but never knew). The log cabin that is one site was purchased by the Historical Society and reassembled on site to preserve it.

Reviewed 15 July 2017

We have been to Winchester a number of times but this was our fist visit to Abram's Delight. The guide was very informative. We were interested in the tour, the history of the family, early Winchester etc.. The guide did speak of nearly every object in the house, possibly there could have been a focus on just some of the highlights rather than every item but it was a very hot day and the house is not airconditioned downstairs so perhaps I was just a bit weary. We had the 3 museum for $10 pass which is a good value.

Reviewed 10 June 2017

This home is across the parking lot from the visitor's center. So is the Hollingsworth Mill.

At the historical society office on the ground floor of the Hollingsworth Mill, you buy your ticket to this home and just walk across the lawn to tour it. If you are going to see Washington's office and Stonewall Jackson's home, be sure to buy a pass for $10 at the mill. It'll save you $5.

My tour guide was terrific. She told the stories of all 5 generations of Hollingsworths who lived in the home and ran the adjacent mill.

The large house was grand in its day. The rooms are furnished in period pieces, including art that was commissioned by the family.

At the end of the house tour, you visit the log cabin that was the first home Abraham Hollingsworth built in 1728.

This is the oldest house in Winchester. The family was very important to the area. It was fascinating to see Winchester through stories of each generation.

Great visit!

NOTE: To view the kitchen, you must go down steep, narrow, irregularly spaced stairs into the basement. I chose to wait on a bench on the ground floor. I could hear others in my group struggling with the stairs going down and coming back up.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

This place was built by an early settler. From the time of early settlers. Abram first built a log cabin which is located on the property close to the main house that he later built. It's the oldest hole in Winchester.

Admission is $5 Open April thru October Monday - Saturday 10am - 4 pm and Sunday 12pm - 4 pm.