“Anniversery”

One Block West
Price range: US$15 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A seasonal farm-to-table restaurant featuring the best products of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in a la carte and tasting menus that change nightly. Chef Ed Matthews has been named to Best Chefs of America by his peers in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Reviewed 24 August 2015

Nice quiet atmosphere, fast and friendly wait staff, and terrific food that took me out of my comfort zone. The aged cheese appetizer was amazing, as well as the crispy pork. I will definitely take my wife there again!

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2015

Happy Anniversary! Thanks for including us in your celebration. It always pleases me when we take people out of their comfort zones and introduce them to something new that they find that they love. We don't serve the same old food as every other restaurant. Part of our mission is to support the local economy by sourcing our food locally; another part of that mission is to create unique dishes from that food, dishes that you might not get to experience anywhere but here. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 18 August 2015 via mobile

eaten there twice with food-aware folks and everyone has been favorably impressed with menu, execution, ambiance. will certainly dine there again at next opportunity.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2015

I am looking forward to cooking for you on your next visit. Thank you for helping us to continue to serve great food now into our second decade.

Reviewed 18 August 2015

We have to go back and forth from Tn to Pa a few times a year and we always look forward to stopping in to eat at this restaurant . In fact we stay over night instead of driving straight through, just so we can eat there. The food is delicious, the staff make you feel at home, and the atmosphere is charming. Only disappointed that they are closed Sunday and Monday because this next trip lands us in Winchester on Sunday night. Broke my heart when I saw those are the days they are closed but understand even the best need a day of rest.

The crew and I are very grateful for your loyal patronage and we thank you for stopping in on your trips back and forth. I am sorry that we cannot be open every day of the week. We only work five days so that we have the same crew on all the time, ensuring a consistent product visit after visit. You really do want us fresh and rested when you dine with us. And my wife needs to see me more frequently than she does. The 75 hours a week that I work is enough. Sorry to break your heart. Hopefully the timing works out better next trip.

Reviewed 15 August 2015 via mobile

I tried this place for the first time after hearing about it for several years, thinking it was Winchester's finest dining establishment. I immediately downgraded it as such when I saw Kitchen staff wearing a t-shirt. Also, it is not very well maintained environment. Hence I guess the t-shirt.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2015

I really can't bring myself to care what you think about the attire of our kitchen staff which happens to be the best set of cooks anywhere in this region. You would really freak out if you saw all their tats. TripAdvisor won't allow me say what I really want to. Readers, you know what I want to say. How would respond to such an inane comment?

Reviewed 11 August 2015

As I told the chef, a gift certificate took us there for our first visit...the quality of the food and the staff will take us back again. We shared the Beer Battered Squash Blossoms stuffed with goat cheese....Heavenly!!! I then had the Cod with paella flavored pilaf. My wife had the Salmon and a Baby bean with shredded fresh horseradish. Every bite brought exclamations!

In all honesty, we, at first, were a little concerned about the portion size presented. However, we were full with just the items above and a little wine. So we were perfectly satisfied with our experience.

I am looking forward to our next visit.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2015

Thank you for the review and thank you for coming up to me in the restaurant and telling me about your experience. It was my pleasure to meet you and to cook for you. We are glad that your friends had enough confidence in us to give you a gift certificate. We are happier still that it was such a positive experience and that you will be back to see us. On behalf of the crew, we all look forward to hosting you again soon.