“Nice experience”

One Block West
Price range: US$15 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A seasonal farm-to-table restaurant featuring the best products of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in a la carte and tasting menus that change nightly. Chef Ed Matthews has been named to Best Chefs of America by his peers in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Reviewed 8 September 2015

Coming from DC, I was late. We called to postpone our reservation, and the staff did grant our request without any problem, which was great.
I had requested a quiet corner and my husband and I were seated in a very nice and romantic area, which was very cozy (round booth style, gauze curtains around us, very cute ! The menu was original, the food very good. I would say the service was good but our young lady waiter was a bit brisk (very efficient but not warm at all).
I finished my dinner with a coconut crème brulée which was a DELIGHT !
I will definitely come back if I am in Winchester.
Julie

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2015

Thank you for coming all the way from DC and visiting with us. Because we are a destination restaurant, people drive to us from all over the East Coast. And so we are familiar with the vagaries of traffic and the unpredictability of arrival times. Should you find yourself in heavier than expected traffic that is going to make you late, just call us and we will do our utmost to accommodate you.

Let me apologize that your server was brisker than you would have liked. And then let me ask if you remember all that traffic you had to get through to dine with us? A bunch of that Labor Day weekend traffic ended up unexpectedly at the restaurant and we were swamped. Your server had nine tables going simultaneously and because of that, she had to be very efficient to see to all the tables. Frankly, I don't know how she did it. Most other servers would have crumpled into sobbing heaps in the storage area. This is not to excuse the briskness of service, but to ask you to understand the extraordinary circumstances posed by a major holiday weekend.

Crème brûlée is a classic that never seems to go out of style. The secret to our ultra-luxe version is duck eggs. During laying season, our pastries are even more phenomenal because of duck eggs. Sadly, with the shorter days now that we are in September, the girls are starting to lay fewer and fewer eggs, soon to stop for the winter.

I hope you will come visit us again on a less crazy evening to get a truer sense of our hospitality.

Reviewed 8 September 2015

We were in town for 2 days. My wife had read a review on-line. Knowing how we love being able to taste a variety of flavors, we told the staff we would be eating just small plates. She was very accommodating. Our first selection we went with a wine of our choosing. That was a mistake. They know best. So stick with their pairings. Over all we could not have been more pleased with the pace of the service. The knowledge the server had. A must stop if you are in the area. If you live there please make sure they do not go away. It would be a shame to loose such a great farm to table place.

We love people who love small plates for that is exactly how we like to eat, lots of little tastes with big flavors and not too much of anything. I find my meals are best when I want just one more bite of something. You can certainly piece together a small plates meal from our menu, but the best way to do small plates is to order the 7-course Chef's Whim tasting menu.

We offer wine recommendations with each dish on our menu to help take the guesswork out of finding a good pairing. Also, we recognize that many people are reluctant to ask us for help with the wine choice. That said, we are here to help if you want the help. I'm a wine professional and I always ask for help when dining out. I know my wine list, but I don't know anybody else's.

Thank you for stopping in and helping us to keep serving our local cuisine for thirteen years now and counting.

Reviewed 24 August 2015

I occasionally travel to Winchester on business and the first thing I do now when I know I'm going is to make a reservation at One Block West. I have now been there three times and every time it has been spectacular. Almost every ingredient is local and therefore extremely fresh. My first visit I had a salad with local greens, dried blueberries, Asiago cheese, toasted pistachios, and a light coating of a citrus vinaigrette. My second course was a short rib risotto to die for. It seems to be the only item that is consistently on the menu and one that I'm tempted to get again but there are so many other wonderful choices. At my second visit I had a spring vegetable salad again lightly dressed, fresh, and delicious. For my second course I had Rock-fish with a dollop of lemony aioli, ripe tomatoes, and pesto squash. I didn't think anything could be as good as the short rib risotto but I was wrong. At my third and most recent visit I had a house made mozzarella caprese salad. The cheese was milky and fresh, the tomatoes were ripe and bursting with flavor, and the pesto was made with just the right amount of garlic which I think is overdone by most chefs. My second course was a crispy pork dish with black beans, purple corn, and a salsa verde sauce. It may have been the best yet. The menu is so varied that each time I go it's like I'm going to a new restaurant. I love this place and always look forward to my business trips to Winchester, VA.

1  Thank dkubi
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2015

It pleases me to no end that you dine with us each time that you are here. And that you know first hand that while our menu changes each day, we put out consistently good food meal after meal. Thank you for sharing this with other readers. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 24 August 2015

Nice quiet atmosphere, fast and friendly wait staff, and terrific food that took me out of my comfort zone. The aged cheese appetizer was amazing, as well as the crispy pork. I will definitely take my wife there again!

Happy Anniversary! Thanks for including us in your celebration. It always pleases me when we take people out of their comfort zones and introduce them to something new that they find that they love. We don't serve the same old food as every other restaurant. Part of our mission is to support the local economy by sourcing our food locally; another part of that mission is to create unique dishes from that food, dishes that you might not get to experience anywhere but here. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 18 August 2015 via mobile

eaten there twice with food-aware folks and everyone has been favorably impressed with menu, execution, ambiance. will certainly dine there again at next opportunity.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2015

I am looking forward to cooking for you on your next visit. Thank you for helping us to continue to serve great food now into our second decade.