“Wonderful Restaurant”

One Block West
Price range: US$15 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Description: A seasonal farm-to-table restaurant featuring the best products of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in a la carte and tasting menus that change nightly. Chef Ed Matthews has been named to Best Chefs of America by his peers in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Reviewed 19 September 2015 via mobile

We feel very fortunate that we were able to get a reservation at the last minute and were able to enjoy this wonderful restaurant. My husband got the mussels with the sausage and said they were outstanding! I got the homemade mozzarella and fresh tomato salad which was totally awesome. For an entree my husband ordered the cod and I ordered the lamb chops. Both were totally delicious! The lamb chops were huge and I could only eat one, my husband ate the other. The sides that each entree came with were perfect and totally complimented the dish. Prices were good, I would definitely recommend this restaurant as a must stop when visiting Winchester.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2015

Thank you so much for dining with us and leaving such delightful comments. You were so fortunate to be here during mozzarella season. We make mozz daily when we have fresh tomatoes, from about August first to about right now. We'll have really good tomatoes for about another week, perhaps. Thanks once again for choosing to dine with us and I hope that our paths will cross once again.

Reviewed 11 September 2015

My husband and I took a weekend trip to Winchester and did a bit of advance sleuthing on a place to celebrate his birthday with a nice dinner. We found reviews on One Block West and then checked out their menu, and thought it looked interesting enough to book a reservation. The dinner and service were just perfect - from the moment we walked in the door until we left - everything from the decor, to the attentiveness of staff, to the portion size to the quality and choices of food. It was a great find and we'll definitely be back.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2015

Thank you. This made my day. After a long hard night last night, your comments were a most welcome and pleasant surprise first thing this morning. I am glad we could help make your husband's birthday special. Mission accomplished. Please come back and see us when you can.

Reviewed 8 September 2015

My wife and I have dined at One Block West half a dozen times over the course of the last four years and we always leave looking forward to our next visit.
We usually enjoy having the chefs whim menu, but on this occasion we decided to order off of the menu. My wife began with the scallops. Four large scallops cooked perfectly with fresh cucumber and just a hint of sauce on the plate to add another depth of flavor. I began with the mussels. Let me start by saying that I do not like mussels, but I received them during the course of one my chefs tasting menus at OBW last year, and I was converted. This is the only place I would order them. I received a huge bowl of mussels in a beer broth containing sausage and pieces of scallion. I only wish I would have saved some of my bread to collect more of my broth.
As a second course we shared the red wine cheese plate with a couple of glasses of the local Claret. An excellent choice that I would highly recommend .
For an entrée, my wife had the short rib risotto and I had the bison steak. The short ribs were super tender, the risotto rich and creamy. My bison steak was very lightly grilled to rare perfection. This piece of steak in the wrong hands can become tough and inedible. Leave it to chef Ed to turn it to a culinary gem.
I should also add that the serving staff top notch. We dine at so many "fine dining" that have servers that have no idea about the food or drinks that they serve, or how to help elevate the experience of dining in their restaurant. I applaud the staff at OBW, who are always able to answer our questions, make recommendations, and keep our ding experience pleasant without being presumptuous.

1  Thank Garth B
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2015

It was great to see you once again on Saturday night, if only from the window in the kitchen. I wanted to come say hello and chat for a moment, but well, you saw how busy it was, a packed dining room. Thank you for your kind comments.

On behalf of our staff, I thank you for your continued support of the restaurant. We have had great fun in the past doing tasting menus for you and we enjoyed hosting you again this past weekend. I am glad to know that I turned you on to mussels: one of my missions is to help introduce customers to ingredients that they might not otherwise try.

Thank you for highlighting our staff. Our key employees in both the front of the house and the back of the house have all been here more than five years each and by now, they are very, very familiar with my cooking style, the myriad of ingredients that we use, our wine list, and our customers' preferences. It is a luxury to be able to work with such a knowledgeable and dedicated team. I am spoiled to the point where I barely have to describe the night's changes in the menu to them.

Thank you once again and I hope that the next time I see you that it is not quite so busy and I am able to say hello in person.

Reviewed 8 September 2015

Coming from DC, I was late. We called to postpone our reservation, and the staff did grant our request without any problem, which was great.
I had requested a quiet corner and my husband and I were seated in a very nice and romantic area, which was very cozy (round booth style, gauze curtains around us, very cute ! The menu was original, the food very good. I would say the service was good but our young lady waiter was a bit brisk (very efficient but not warm at all).
I finished my dinner with a coconut crème brulée which was a DELIGHT !
I will definitely come back if I am in Winchester.
Julie

Thank you for coming all the way from DC and visiting with us. Because we are a destination restaurant, people drive to us from all over the East Coast. And so we are familiar with the vagaries of traffic and the unpredictability of arrival times. Should you find yourself in heavier than expected traffic that is going to make you late, just call us and we will do our utmost to accommodate you.

Let me apologize that your server was brisker than you would have liked. And then let me ask if you remember all that traffic you had to get through to dine with us? A bunch of that Labor Day weekend traffic ended up unexpectedly at the restaurant and we were swamped. Your server had nine tables going simultaneously and because of that, she had to be very efficient to see to all the tables. Frankly, I don't know how she did it. Most other servers would have crumpled into sobbing heaps in the storage area. This is not to excuse the briskness of service, but to ask you to understand the extraordinary circumstances posed by a major holiday weekend.

Crème brûlée is a classic that never seems to go out of style. The secret to our ultra-luxe version is duck eggs. During laying season, our pastries are even more phenomenal because of duck eggs. Sadly, with the shorter days now that we are in September, the girls are starting to lay fewer and fewer eggs, soon to stop for the winter.

I hope you will come visit us again on a less crazy evening to get a truer sense of our hospitality.

Reviewed 8 September 2015

We were in town for 2 days. My wife had read a review on-line. Knowing how we love being able to taste a variety of flavors, we told the staff we would be eating just small plates. She was very accommodating. Our first selection we went with a wine of our choosing. That was a mistake. They know best. So stick with their pairings. Over all we could not have been more pleased with the pace of the service. The knowledge the server had. A must stop if you are in the area. If you live there please make sure they do not go away. It would be a shame to loose such a great farm to table place.

We love people who love small plates for that is exactly how we like to eat, lots of little tastes with big flavors and not too much of anything. I find my meals are best when I want just one more bite of something. You can certainly piece together a small plates meal from our menu, but the best way to do small plates is to order the 7-course Chef's Whim tasting menu.

We offer wine recommendations with each dish on our menu to help take the guesswork out of finding a good pairing. Also, we recognize that many people are reluctant to ask us for help with the wine choice. That said, we are here to help if you want the help. I'm a wine professional and I always ask for help when dining out. I know my wine list, but I don't know anybody else's.

Thank you for stopping in and helping us to keep serving our local cuisine for thirteen years now and counting.