“Great discovery”

One Block West
Price range: US$15 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Description: A seasonal farm-to-table restaurant featuring the best products of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in a la carte and tasting menus that change nightly. Chef Ed Matthews has been named to Best Chefs of America by his peers in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Reviewed 19 September 2015

Thanks to the Restaurant Week, we have just discovered One Block West, although we have been living near Winchester for six years (it really is one block from the main street). And it was a great experience: we liked every dish (congratulations to the chef!): squash soup, fish cake with a great sauce, pork bolognese on polenta was delicious (although the polenta was not hot enough), and napoleon with fresh peaches and cantaloupe was divine in its lightness. We cannot wait to go back and try the other items on the menu.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2015

Wow, what have I done wrong in my marketing that you have been here six years and I could not entice you to try before now? ;) Thanks for finally giving us a try and I am glad that you had a good time with us, especially during Restaurant Week when we are stretched to the utmost trying to serve a crazy number of guests.

As for your polenta that wasn't hot enough, sorry about that. Any time you are not satisfied with something, let us fix it. It would be nothing for us to put your polenta in the oven for a couple of minutes. We would be happy to do it and you would end up happier.

Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed 19 September 2015

This is a small, unassuming restaurant hidden in an alley off of Winchester's pedestrian main street. Pleasant, but not glamorous. That is until you order. OBW sources everything that it can locally, and that is a lot. Chef Ed was locavore before locavore was cool, and has established relations with local famers that ensures a steady stream of very high quality meat and produce from the Shenandoah Valley and the Virginia Piedmont, and he knows exactly what to do with it. Not to be missed are his periodic special theme dinners with paired wines - a recent one was a harvest festival that was totally vegetarian, and thoroughly satisfying. I have never come away from OBW dissatisfied.

I think I'm blushing a bit at this, but thank you nonetheless. While I might be the face of this restaurant, it takes a hugely talented crew in the kitchen and in the front of the house to make this restaurant happen. They are the ones who really know what they are doing and make us a success. And then there are the dozens of talented growers, farmers, and foragers who daily bring us amazing products without which our menu would be nothing. Kudos to them and their ceaseless labors on our behalf. We've been at this business for a long time now, since before the birth of terms locavore and farm-to-table. What we do is not trendy; it is a way of life, of harvesting and eating with the seasons to ensure that we always have the ripest, the freshest, and the best products on the table. Thank you for your support.

Reviewed 19 September 2015 via mobile

We feel very fortunate that we were able to get a reservation at the last minute and were able to enjoy this wonderful restaurant. My husband got the mussels with the sausage and said they were outstanding! I got the homemade mozzarella and fresh tomato salad which was totally awesome. For an entree my husband ordered the cod and I ordered the lamb chops. Both were totally delicious! The lamb chops were huge and I could only eat one, my husband ate the other. The sides that each entree came with were perfect and totally complimented the dish. Prices were good, I would definitely recommend this restaurant as a must stop when visiting Winchester.

Thank you so much for dining with us and leaving such delightful comments. You were so fortunate to be here during mozzarella season. We make mozz daily when we have fresh tomatoes, from about August first to about right now. We'll have really good tomatoes for about another week, perhaps. Thanks once again for choosing to dine with us and I hope that our paths will cross once again.

Reviewed 11 September 2015

My husband and I took a weekend trip to Winchester and did a bit of advance sleuthing on a place to celebrate his birthday with a nice dinner. We found reviews on One Block West and then checked out their menu, and thought it looked interesting enough to book a reservation. The dinner and service were just perfect - from the moment we walked in the door until we left - everything from the decor, to the attentiveness of staff, to the portion size to the quality and choices of food. It was a great find and we'll definitely be back.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2015

Thank you. This made my day. After a long hard night last night, your comments were a most welcome and pleasant surprise first thing this morning. I am glad we could help make your husband's birthday special. Mission accomplished. Please come back and see us when you can.

Reviewed 8 September 2015

My wife and I have dined at One Block West half a dozen times over the course of the last four years and we always leave looking forward to our next visit.
We usually enjoy having the chefs whim menu, but on this occasion we decided to order off of the menu. My wife began with the scallops. Four large scallops cooked perfectly with fresh cucumber and just a hint of sauce on the plate to add another depth of flavor. I began with the mussels. Let me start by saying that I do not like mussels, but I received them during the course of one my chefs tasting menus at OBW last year, and I was converted. This is the only place I would order them. I received a huge bowl of mussels in a beer broth containing sausage and pieces of scallion. I only wish I would have saved some of my bread to collect more of my broth.
As a second course we shared the red wine cheese plate with a couple of glasses of the local Claret. An excellent choice that I would highly recommend .
For an entrée, my wife had the short rib risotto and I had the bison steak. The short ribs were super tender, the risotto rich and creamy. My bison steak was very lightly grilled to rare perfection. This piece of steak in the wrong hands can become tough and inedible. Leave it to chef Ed to turn it to a culinary gem.
I should also add that the serving staff top notch. We dine at so many "fine dining" that have servers that have no idea about the food or drinks that they serve, or how to help elevate the experience of dining in their restaurant. I applaud the staff at OBW, who are always able to answer our questions, make recommendations, and keep our ding experience pleasant without being presumptuous.

1  Thank Garth B
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2015

It was great to see you once again on Saturday night, if only from the window in the kitchen. I wanted to come say hello and chat for a moment, but well, you saw how busy it was, a packed dining room. Thank you for your kind comments.

On behalf of our staff, I thank you for your continued support of the restaurant. We have had great fun in the past doing tasting menus for you and we enjoyed hosting you again this past weekend. I am glad to know that I turned you on to mussels: one of my missions is to help introduce customers to ingredients that they might not otherwise try.

Thank you for highlighting our staff. Our key employees in both the front of the house and the back of the house have all been here more than five years each and by now, they are very, very familiar with my cooking style, the myriad of ingredients that we use, our wine list, and our customers' preferences. It is a luxury to be able to work with such a knowledgeable and dedicated team. I am spoiled to the point where I barely have to describe the night's changes in the menu to them.

Thank you once again and I hope that the next time I see you that it is not quite so busy and I am able to say hello in person.