“Outstanding”

One Block West
Price range: US$15 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A seasonal farm-to-table restaurant featuring the best products of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in a la carte and tasting menus that change nightly. Chef Ed Matthews has been named to Best Chefs of America by his peers in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Reviewed 20 September 2015

Wife and I had dinner there. From start to finish it was absolutely perfect. Had fried squash blossoms stuffed with goat cheese for an appetizer. Melt in your mouth. Arugula salad was light, and had real tomatoes, better than the ones I grow. I had the crab cakes, with fresh vegetable cole slaw. These crab cakes were the real deal, pure crab with just enough stuff to hold them together. Having lived by the Chesapeake Bay for 40 years, I know a good crab cake, and these were it. Wife had a dish called Opah, slices of tuna, salmon, and swordfish of squash noodles. Fish was lightly seasoned, and seared on the outside and pink in the middle, just right. Noodles were actually ribbons of yellow squash and zucchini lightly blanchbed and seasoned, again perfect. Meal also included really good, and hot bread. Service was exquisite. They also have an very good wine list. This restaurant is a reason to visit the city.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2015

It's the little things that tell you a lot about a restaurant from the tomatoes in the salad, to the bread, to the deftness of the seasoning. I am glad to know that we hit the mark with all of these when you were visiting with us.

Living by the Bay as we do, we get amazing seafood and I try to keep it as local as possible. It was with a lot of reluctance and many phone calls to my seafood distributor that I put opah, a Pacific fish landed in Hawaii, on the menu this weekend. It's a great fish, but I see no reason to fly fish across the country to put on our menu when we have amazing local fish. Sadly, the quality of the local fish was not great last week and the opah was pristine. As much as we want to shop locally, quality still trumps locality.

Thanks for dining with us. Please come back next time you come this way.

Reviewed 19 September 2015

Thanks to the Restaurant Week, we have just discovered One Block West, although we have been living near Winchester for six years (it really is one block from the main street). And it was a great experience: we liked every dish (congratulations to the chef!): squash soup, fish cake with a great sauce, pork bolognese on polenta was delicious (although the polenta was not hot enough), and napoleon with fresh peaches and cantaloupe was divine in its lightness. We cannot wait to go back and try the other items on the menu.

Wow, what have I done wrong in my marketing that you have been here six years and I could not entice you to try before now? ;) Thanks for finally giving us a try and I am glad that you had a good time with us, especially during Restaurant Week when we are stretched to the utmost trying to serve a crazy number of guests.

As for your polenta that wasn't hot enough, sorry about that. Any time you are not satisfied with something, let us fix it. It would be nothing for us to put your polenta in the oven for a couple of minutes. We would be happy to do it and you would end up happier.

Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed 19 September 2015

This is a small, unassuming restaurant hidden in an alley off of Winchester's pedestrian main street. Pleasant, but not glamorous. That is until you order. OBW sources everything that it can locally, and that is a lot. Chef Ed was locavore before locavore was cool, and has established relations with local famers that ensures a steady stream of very high quality meat and produce from the Shenandoah Valley and the Virginia Piedmont, and he knows exactly what to do with it. Not to be missed are his periodic special theme dinners with paired wines - a recent one was a harvest festival that was totally vegetarian, and thoroughly satisfying. I have never come away from OBW dissatisfied.

I think I'm blushing a bit at this, but thank you nonetheless. While I might be the face of this restaurant, it takes a hugely talented crew in the kitchen and in the front of the house to make this restaurant happen. They are the ones who really know what they are doing and make us a success. And then there are the dozens of talented growers, farmers, and foragers who daily bring us amazing products without which our menu would be nothing. Kudos to them and their ceaseless labors on our behalf. We've been at this business for a long time now, since before the birth of terms locavore and farm-to-table. What we do is not trendy; it is a way of life, of harvesting and eating with the seasons to ensure that we always have the ripest, the freshest, and the best products on the table. Thank you for your support.

Reviewed 19 September 2015 via mobile

We feel very fortunate that we were able to get a reservation at the last minute and were able to enjoy this wonderful restaurant. My husband got the mussels with the sausage and said they were outstanding! I got the homemade mozzarella and fresh tomato salad which was totally awesome. For an entree my husband ordered the cod and I ordered the lamb chops. Both were totally delicious! The lamb chops were huge and I could only eat one, my husband ate the other. The sides that each entree came with were perfect and totally complimented the dish. Prices were good, I would definitely recommend this restaurant as a must stop when visiting Winchester.

Thank you so much for dining with us and leaving such delightful comments. You were so fortunate to be here during mozzarella season. We make mozz daily when we have fresh tomatoes, from about August first to about right now. We'll have really good tomatoes for about another week, perhaps. Thanks once again for choosing to dine with us and I hope that our paths will cross once again.

Reviewed 11 September 2015

My husband and I took a weekend trip to Winchester and did a bit of advance sleuthing on a place to celebrate his birthday with a nice dinner. We found reviews on One Block West and then checked out their menu, and thought it looked interesting enough to book a reservation. The dinner and service were just perfect - from the moment we walked in the door until we left - everything from the decor, to the attentiveness of staff, to the portion size to the quality and choices of food. It was a great find and we'll definitely be back.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2015

Thank you. This made my day. After a long hard night last night, your comments were a most welcome and pleasant surprise first thing this morning. I am glad we could help make your husband's birthday special. Mission accomplished. Please come back and see us when you can.