“True Gormet Just Around the Corner”
Review of One Block West - CLOSED

One Block West
Price range: US$15 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Description: A seasonal farm-to-table restaurant featuring the best products of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in a la carte and tasting menus that change nightly. Chef Ed Matthews has been named to Best Chefs of America by his peers in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Reviewed 22 April 2017

Who would have thought that a truly gourmet restaurant was just around the corner in Winchester, VA? Well, it was. My daughter and I finally found One Block West after wandering a bit. We had walked up and down a back street parallel to the Old Historic Loudoun street and finally found this lovely setting place. As we approached the door, we saw their outside dining area. About a dozen tables, with plastic, but comfortable chairs on a raised wooden deck under a huge springtime budding tree. It was empty. We walked inside for a brief moment and asked if we could sit outside. Sure. The chef was renowned so we went with the night’s menu. We ended up having one of the best meals with the best food that I have experienced. We started with sharing a white wine cheese plate (with their featured sauvignon blanc). It was elegantly served and absolutely delicious. She then opted for the crab cakes, heavy on the fresh crab and light on the cakes and I the warm asparagus wild mushroom salad and the scallop appetizers. We finished all off with a flourless chocolate cake. Again, all served elegantly in this setting that had birds and squirrels and bumble bees fluttering and whisking about. The prices were moderately high, but the value was superb. What a nice dining experience tucked away in this beautiful Virginia mountain town. Hat’s off to One Block West!

Date of visit: April 2017
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2017

Thank you very much for taking trouble to find us. Note for anyone else who is unsure where we are located: don't wander around; telephone us! We will direct you here.

We are very gratified that we could serve you one of the best meals of your life. We work very hard with the very best ingredients we can find to do just that. Please come back to see us if you pass this way again.

Reviewed 21 April 2017

Chef ED and One Block West never disappoint, had to be the close to the 10th chefs whim we have done. The food is always full of flavor, always spot on with the wine pairings. Highly recommend, great atmosphere great food always leave very happy! As in the title his flavor doesn't stop at 10 it goes to 11.

Date of visit: April 2017

Thanks for the Spinal Tap reference! It is always a pleasure to create our Chef's Whim tastings for customers. The crew and I are very thankful to have been able to do so many tastings for you over the years. It has been our great pleasure.

Reviewed 13 April 2017

Winchester is a charming town and a great place to spend the night if you're planning a weekend hiking through nearby Shenandoah National Park or just cruising along Skyline Drive. And there is no better choice for a memorable dinner than the chef's tasting menu at One Block West. We were presented with an inventive and delicious seven course meal, served at a leisurely pace, that was the equal of anything you will find at a big city restaurant...except at a much more reasonable price. And it's better still with the wine pairing.

Date of visit: April 2017
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2017

The hiking out here in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley is fabulous: my wife and I are out on the trail every Sunday no matter the weather. My sous chef and I really enjoyed putting together a menu for you that we hoped would be memorable, especially the dessert: candied pork belly, blueberry mascarpone, candy cap mushroom cream, lemon balm, and redbud blossoms. It was an intellectual exercise for us in how to combine meat and mushrooms in a dessert. We thought it was a great success. Thank you for dining with us and we hope to see you the next time you spend a long weekend out our way.

Reviewed 5 April 2017

I had been wanting to take my wife here for dinner for quite a while, but finally had the opportunity to dine here twice within the last month, and I wasn't disappointed.

The first time I made reservations to try the Chef's Whim tasting, but as the chef was out of the restaurant, we had to settle for ordering from the menu. I say settle, which it was compared to the tasting, but it was still a magnificent dinner. The restaurant is located in Indian alley, so there is very little parking right next to the building, however there is ample parking in the garage located about two blocks away.

Inside, the setting is what I can only say is intimate. There is not a lot of tables, therefore the waitstaff is able to be very attentive to the tables there are, and the Chef can create delicious food. The first night I was there they had a guitarist/singer playing which added to the atmosphere. Was very pleasant.

The Chef creates a new menu ever few days, so there is always rotating food. I myself had the duck breast and my wife had the short ribs. Both were delicious and we had just enough food that we weren't hungry, yet were not stuffed.

We had the chance to go back again and were able to book the Chef's Whim tasting, which consisted of a 7-course meal created by Chef Ed, based on his mood and ingredients. By the time we were finished, we were both blown away. Each course was absolutely amazing, and every dish I would have ordered again. My favorite by far was the first course which was raw scallops drizzled with oil, along with orange slices and salt. Was fantastic! For the last course, dessert, it was served by Chef Ed himself, which gave us a chance to thank him for doing an amazing job.

They end every meal with chocolate truffles, which are a treat in themselves.

While chatting with the server, we also found that Chef Ed uses locally grown meat and produce whenever possible. That makes it all as fresh as possible and you can taste it in the food. The wait staff was perfect...attentive enough to get what you need, but they also were not hovering.

I would highly recommend One Block West to anyone looking for a meal that is well above what you normally find. We will definitely be back.

Date of visit: March 2017
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2017

Thank you for letting us create a meal just for you on your second visit. I know you wanted to do a tasting the first time you booked, but I had to go unexpectedly to my mother's funeral. Thank you for being so understanding of the situation and my reluctance to serve a tasting menu when I am not actually in the restaurant. And a big thanks to my staff for doing such a fine job in my absence. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2017

One Block West has some of the best service we have experienced anywhere. Always smiling and personable with attention to details. They were very accommodating to our special request for a private table and to our food allergies. The bar made our drinks for us just as we had requested. It was a perfect evening. Oh, and the food is top notch, too!

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2017

Thank you very much. We always try to put ourselves in our guests' shoes and treat them in the way that we would want to be treated so that they have a wonderful time with us, away from the cares of the world for a while. I find it very gratifying when guests have such an experience with us. That is, after all, why we are in business. And, we also serve food.