“Creative and inspiring...”

One Block West
Price range: US$15 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Description: A seasonal farm-to-table restaurant featuring the best products of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in a la carte and tasting menus that change nightly. Chef Ed Matthews has been named to Best Chefs of America by his peers in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Reviewed 11 July 2017

I've eaten here only once...it's a little expensive for my budget...

But the food and the service were both excellent. I found the meal to be inspiring and creative.

I'm still trying to re-create the brussels sprouts with pork bellies. Heavenly...

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

I am glad that you got the chance to dine with us. Alas, I am retiring on August 5 and there will be no more One Block West after that. More details are on the restaurant blog.

Reviewed 30 June 2017

went with a large group from work. I had crab cakes. Next to me were Lamb chops. pretty much everyone was happy. The wine selection is excellent. Beer selection is good. Service is as good as it gets. Try the beet salad, it's perfect if you like beets.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2017

Thank you and we are glad that you and your colleagues had a great experience. The servers will be happy to know that you think they did a great job as well. You must have got some of the last spring beets; it's too hot for them now. They grow best in the spring and the fall. As always in our 15-year history, the menu is seasonal and changes daily. The beets are gone, but local heirloom tomatoes are in. And so it goes. Thank you.

Reviewed 20 June 2017

Fine dining for sure, with tables far enough apart for quiet comfort. Inventive menu, excellent wine list, caring service, owner/chef stopped at our table twice, a surprisingly fine meal in this relatively small city.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Thank you. We are very happy that you chose to dine with us.

Reviewed 2 May 2017

Quiet atmosphere in a quaint spot. Menu was interesting, but we requested some ingredient changes (a simple change of type of greens from cabbage to arugula or similar greens in my salad.) Request was denied. Chef seemed unwilling to accommodate any variation. So, I declined any appetizer, as there was nothing else that suited my dietary needs. Husband and I both ordered the walleye, which was tasty and nicely presented. We ate every bite. Portions were perfect. Flourless chocolate cake was also good. Just wish the chef would have been willing to tweak ingredients just a little to accommodate simple request.

1  Thank Happygrandma10
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2017

Thank you for dining with us. You will not find a restaurant that is more willing than ours to bend over backwards to meet customer requests. There must have been some grave confusion about your salad request and I apologize for that confusion.

The order that came to the kitchen asked for us to omit cabbage from your salad whose composition is 90% cabbage. That would have left nothing on your plate and I asked the server to convey to you that I did not feel that you would be getting any value in your salad if I did what I was asked to do.

I would have made the salad any way you wanted, but alas, I never understood that you wanted a substitution of greens. Again, I do not know where the communication got garbled but I will work with our service staff to ensure that we are not dropping the ball on our end. I apologize that it was even an issue.

In the end, that miscommunication aside, I am very glad that the rest of your experience was positive and I hope that you will stop in and see us again.

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

Wow! What an amazing dinner. We mentioned in our online reservation under special request/occasion that it was our anniversary. From start to finish, everyone who greeted us said happy anniversary. So thank you! We were sat in a cozy corner alone, which was nice. As first timers, we based our suggestions off trip advisor reviews. We've never been mislead. And of course we always ask the staff for their recommendations as well. We had pan seared scallops, white cheese plate, crab cakes and orange upside down cake. From start to finish, every bite was delicious. The wine pairing as suggested by the waiter was perfect. The chocolate truffles given with the check, left the most amazing flavor to leave with. We'll be talking about this meal and this restaurant for years to come. You will definitely have our return business. Thank you once again

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2017

Thank you so much. Your experience is what we strive for with every customer. We look forward to your dining with us again and we hope that you will let your friends know about your dinner. Once again, thank you so much for celebrating with us.