“A fun place...Great food, but a little patience.”

Almita's Restaurant
Ranked #73 of 330 Restaurants in Woodbridge
Description: Established in 2004. Almita's was born to cater the growing Hispanic population in the Woodbridge area in 2004. We want for our customers to have a great experience with us from the moment they enter to after they leave, starting with a sincere welcome, good service, food and cleanliness. We serve food made to order, and make our meals in our premisses, so you are sure to get something really close to a home cooked meal. We do not use second party providers for our dishes and we also make our own corn tortillas, that makes Almita's different than the rest. We are family owned and run and we are here to serve you the best we can. Come visit us and enjoy a great time.
Reviewed 5 March 2018

Almita's is our favorite Mexican joint. We discovered it quite by accident...looks like a little house, tricked out by a few Christmas lights...when the restaurant around the corner was too busy.
We got there early evening mid-week and had the place pretty much to ourselves, which was a good thing, as Almita herself was THE bartender, THE waitress, THE cook and THE busboy. She was very friendly and can cook like the Devil.
For the most part, we had pretty standard fare...tacos, enchiladas, etc...but I ordered blackened fish (can;t remember which), which all of it was outstanding...down to the excellent guacamole. Good portions and VERY reasonable prices.
My marguerita was HUGE (was my birthday treat).

Looking thru the menu, the Mexican breakfast stuff looked incredible.
BUT...here's the deal:
IT IS primarily a favorite for the local Hispanic crowd at night. Obviously a hang out for caballeros to show their stuff and flirt with the muchachas. Corona's and Futball on the TV until the DJ shows up around 8 and the Mariachi music BLASTS, and the little dance floor heats up with mini-skirts and knee-high boots, cowboys hats and huge belt buckles. We have come on a Saturday evening and the DJ has blessedly kept the volume down until we finished our meal, and then...PARTAY TIME! Not that we minded, he just did it out of consideration. I am from New Mexico, so I LOVE IT and am comfortable being immersed in Hispanic good times and people. Our waitress even grabbed up our youngest boy (then about 12) and took him out onto the tiny dance floor for a few tunes. He was in HEAVEN!

On the other hand, if you go on one of the busier nights, better brush up on your Spanish, as the staff is often "no hablo Ingles". On busy nights Almita goes between the bar and the kitchen. Again, I don;t mind...it's part of what makes this place charming and dear to me. One just needs a little bit of an open mind, awareness and patience...but I have seen a few rather arrogant comments on other review sites about the "Mexican-ness" of the joint.
Better they should go to Taco Bell, perhaps, for their so-called "taste of Mexico".....
This place is AUTHENTIC atmosphere for the ex-pats from "down south", not some made-up crap Hollywood version like "Chuys" or "On The Border", so be prepared.

1  Thank Brion B

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Stopped here somewhat randomly on a Sunday evening trip between NC and NJ. Not many people there; I suspect it was between the dinner crowd and the night club crowd, if there is such a thing on a Sunday night. The (assumed to be Latina) bartender was my server and she was very attentive and helpful (and a fluent English speaker with no obviously discernible accent if that matters to you). I had a couple of tacos al pastor (mexican style with two soft corn tortillas for each) and a couple of queso papusas, which were pretty good. I think they are more of a salvadorean food - either I'm wrong about that or this is not just a mexican restaurant. Not a lot of salt on any of the food or in the salsa they serve with the chips. That's a good thing. I saw some reviews calling their food bland; I suspect that was because people are more accustomed to over-salted food, especially at Mexican restaurants. There's a salt shaker on the table. Their hot sauces were a red and a green and both were pretty hot, very tasty, and not surprisingly, low on the sodium. The ret of the menu was more traditional Mexican / Latin as opposed to the regular taco/enchilada/burrito/rice and beans combination variety. There was loud latin music playing and a small dance floor with disco lights that made it kind of fun, especially for someone 5 hours into a 9 hour drive. I played with my phone and enjopyed the music. I sat right next to it because i wanted it loud although it made it slightly difficult to hear the waitress. There's an outside patio dining area too, but I only glanced at it. The prices were less expensive than NJ mexican but more expensive than NC mexican. My bill came to 10 bucks and i probably ate too much. Overall a fine place to stop; it is now on my list whenever making that drive.

1  Thank tb420
Reviewed 2 November 2016

Nice place and quiet place, to have a good meal. It is a place where you can dine for two, or with your family. We went it was not that many people there, but we might have timed it right. However, the parking lot is small, the wait staff is friendly, one maybe two servers's speak English.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

This place has great food for everyone & kids as well. The staff is friendly & takes good care of you. There is a lot of different things for everyone on the menu. The price is right & the food is good quality as the servings are more than enough. Take the time to stop by & enjoy with your family.

Reviewed 31 July 2016

The service was good but I thought the food was average. I'm from Southern California and have spent a lot of time in Mexico so I know Mexican food. This place is not the best even in just Woodbridge. The seasoning was bland and compared with other local places it was more pricey. I had been wanting to try it for a while and I wasn't thrilled but it does look like a great neighborhood night time spot. Service was the bright spot of my visit.