All reviews sunset house willow cottage hot tub orcas island get away covered deck a great stay friday harbor jennifer cabin deer seals sound bay accommodations
Reviewed 24 September 2015

Every time I have passed Cabins on the Point, I have imagined what it would be like to sit on the deck of the big white house or in a chair on the lawn . I finally got around to it recently and wasn't disappointed. True, my wife and I stayed in the largest and presumably nicest of the cabins (Westsound House), but it was as peaceful as I had hoped. You get to watch the water, including the ferries boats as they pass in the distance. The king-size bed was oh-so comfortable. (The pull-out sofa in the living room needs to replaced, however.) The kitchen was well-appointed, the breakfast room was cheery. Plus, you can easily walk to the trailhead for the Turtleback Mountain hiking area.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2015

My husband and I stayed in the Willows cabin with our young son in August and had a magnificent time. The cabin is rustic which is just what I wanted. Each morning and evening we enjoyed watching all the wildlife journey across the large green space in front of our windows, especially the bunnies and deer. The location was quiet except for the occasional car that would pass by on Deer Harbor Road and it was lovely to have the small private beach to explore and from which to launch a kayak. We appreciated that the location was a bit removed from things, but the island is small enough that is easy to reach everything via a quick car ride. I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2015

My partner and I rented the SUNSET HOUSE for 3 nights for our anniversary. Jennifer & Sandora (sic) were excellent in their quick responses and ready communication and we rcvd a nice surprise discount because it was a late booking. They offered us early check-in at my urging but sightseeing we arrived after dinner and when we did, the home was aired out nicely, there were fresh flowers and chocolates and the lights were on when we arrived.

We were truly amazed at the location-it really was heaven. Please note: if you want a home that was built in the 21st century that is full of plastic, kitsch and walking distance to shops this is not the place. If you want to rent an awesome ranch style home that goes on forever, (2000 sq feet ?) to be able to fully relax, not see or hear neighbors for 24 plus hours, enjoy a sense of privacy that is hard to come by enjoy modest furnishings with a world class view then this is the place.

Our entire stay was unbelievable. The sunsets were unprecedented. It was so wonderful and relaxing to not hear anything but the ocean, wind and birds. We had several deer visit, a resident bald eagle cruise by several times within 50 feet, saw porpoises, nuthatches maybe some chicadees, lots of chitons, anemone, giant purple star fishes and crabs. The water was beautiful and the shoreline accessible directly from the house if you brave the path. If not then simply cruise down the block where you have access to a small beach.

Sincerely, it was difficult to get back in the car to see other parts of this beautiful island. The house had everything we needed, the master suite was an amazing place to wake up in, the jetted tub was a luxury to soak in, the gas fireplace provided ready warmth as needed, the furnishings perfect for a home in this setting. I was thankful that the aesthetic did not lend itself to a typical beach comber motif. The linen & towels & cloth napkins were plentiful. If you want to watch television there is one but I was actually surprised there was & the WiFi signal was excellent.

What I especially enjoyed was that there are several outside areas to sit and lounge so you continue to have the luxury of space and privacy. The deck was huge, there is a fire pit, picnic table and lots of comfy chairs set about the huge expansive lawn.

We took a biplane ride - that was the best fun I had in years, and thanks to Jennifer who told us about the local artist studios being open to the public we stopped by several to meet them first hand and see obscure parts of Orcas. The locals were friendly and the restaurants and shops were excellent. Its been a long time since I drove away from a vacation with an ache in my heart and a tear in my eye (not kidding). I wanted to stay and you probably will too. Thank you Jennifer for everything. Your recommendations came in handy and we felt very taken care of and sincerely hope to meet you in person our next time out to Orcas.

Room Tip: most of the home offers private views and are very private
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandy s
Reviewed 2 August 2015

The rest of Orcas Island was completely booked, so we agreed to take the Sunset House, though we didn't need a 3 bedroom for two of us. The place smelled very musty, the decor was horribly outdated (doilies, teddy bears, dying plants, old sheets), the jacuzzi didn't work, nor the television, nor the fireplace. The "barbeque" was a mini-kettle sitting downhill in a fire-pit. (We had bought a salmon to cook on the advertised barbeque.) The outdoor furniture was broken and dirty. The washing machine 'walked' two feet each spin cycle and had to be pushed back into place each time.
Worst of all was the awful REEK from the dirty, broken-down couch, which should have been torched years ago.
The view was wonderful, but couldn't make up for the deficiencies. We paid almost $2,000 for five nights, a real rip-off.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kathleen_kerry
Reviewed 13 July 2015

I absolutely love the location and setting of this cabin! Located on the quiet side of Orcas Island near Turtleback Mountain. The cabin is small with french doors that open to the waterfront from the bedroom area. The kitchen and bath are small and are a few steps down from the bedroom and sitting area. We were greeted with a hand written sign to "Please Remove Shoes". The floors and throw rugs did not appear that clean so I wish I had taken my slippers. In fact for a place that charges a cleaning fee the cabin should have been cleaner. My husband swept the deck and the beautiful walkway. The BBQ and fridge were small for our 3 night stay so a cooler is needed if you bring very much to keep cold. And bring your own ice. The cabin is close to the beach where you can borrow a kayak and your private hot tub shared with the house next door is just a few feet from your door. Beautiful place on a beautiful island an hour ferry ride to Friday Harbor, which is free if you walk on. I kayaked with a seal to a nearby island. Saw a glimpse of a few whales from the ferry. Found blue sea glass. Explored the entire island. A busy but relaxing 3 days!

Room Tip: This cabin seems more private than the others on the property.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple