“Ribs”
Review of Buck's Barbeque

Buck's Barbeque
Ranked #37 of 62 Restaurants in Ferndale
Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

Ok I love ribs and these are good. Smoked on a smoker great dry rub and killer sauce on the side. I have already told lots about this place. An the slaw great a must try

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

This is a first for me. We went in around 6pm on a Friday and there were maybe 4 other tables. We ordered 2 items for takeout (pulled pork platter and a burger) at the counter and sat down. We waited...and waited...and waited. I am a patient person and figured they were just behind. After I started seeing people get food that came in after us I went to the counter and checked on the order. They lost the order...and they were now out of the pulled pork. She said "sorry" and refunded our money...but that was it. There was no offer of other items or anything to correct the experiance. We waited there for 40 minutes! 40 minutes! I don't know how they even lost the order because I watched her hang it up over the flat top. That is 40 minutes we will never get back and never even got to try the food. It was so incredibly disappointing from a service standpoint. Major props to the subway next door being open and providing us with actual food...we were hungry!

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Its menu is basically a scaled back version of Dickey's. Twice when I have gone there, however, they tell me what they are out of. I realize they do catering and often fall short of menu items, but it's pretty annoying to not be able to get what you want off their regular menu.

Reviewed 31 May 2017

Buck's Barbecue opened in January 2017 in the old Dickey's BBQ location.

Prompt and friendly greeting at arrival. Premises clean.

Reviewed 24 January 2017

Buck's just opened on Jan. 1st in the same space previously occupied by Dickey's. The owner is apparently the same guy that owns nearby Good Burger, so hopefully he'll have better luck in this central Ferndale location.

We went for the 1st time during Sunday lunch. The décor is simple and Buck, judging from the wall picture and wall carving, is/was a big black Labrador Retriever. The barbeque selection is limited to brisket, beef ribs, pulled pork, and sausage. (This is probably a good thing as its predecessor had too many meat options for a small-town barbeque.) The interior seats about 30-40 via several wooden tables that can seat anywhere from 2 to 8 people each. You order up at the main counter and they make your meal on the spot from the pre-cooked meat and various sides. There's typically 2-3 employees behind the counter, country music is piped in, and they also have a medium-size TV in the front corner. There are two co-ed bathrooms in the back.

I had a 1-meat plate and my wife a 2-meat plate. Our friend had a sandwich plate. Prices were reasonable and they gave a pretty good amount of meat (1/4 lb. per serving I believe). Self-serve soda is available at a dispenser. The meat plates include a bun, some sliced pickles, and a side of their sauce. They only have 1 sauce option for now, but it was a good neutral flavor - not too spicy or sweet. Sides include baked beans, pickled beets, mac n' cheese, small green salad, and a few others. I like that they don't offer fries, but do offer a stuffed baked potato meal.

Like most of the Main Street businesses, there's limited sidewalk parking in front of the restaurant, but your best bet is to simply park across the street in the Rite Aid parking lot. The outside is fairly plain and easy to overlook, although the front is basically a big window making it easy to look in or out. The owners might want to add a more conspicuous sign.

All in all, I hope this place succeeds where its predecessor failed. It's current approach seems to be to keep prices low by a simple, no frills décor, with a smaller selection of meats and sides. Generating repeat business and getting plenty of take-out orders will be key in this town. So far, I'm encouraged and will visit again as we need to support barbeque options in Whatcom county.

Been to Buck's Barbeque? Share your experiences!