“Not bad, room for improvement”

Castaways Seafood Grille
Ranked #6 of 43 Restaurants in Long Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Stopped in for a warm lunch to shake off the wet chilly weather and hopefully curb my craving for a bowl of Clam Chowder. The place was really hoping but we were seated right away. The staff was friendly, even though the place seemed to be near capacity. It did, however, take an unusually long time to get our food, in fact, I am pretty sure they misplaced our order because more than a few people that were seated after us received their meal before us, and I think they noticed I was about to start asking questions. Especially since we ordered bowls of soup with bread.

I thought perhaps slow service might be because they had bread in the oven but unfortunately, that proved to be wrong since the "bread" served was actually two packaged dinner rolls, not unlike "Kings Hawaiian Rolls", somewhat disappointing considering there is a nice bakery almost across the street. The Clam Chowder, while very tasty, was not thick at all, it was more of a clam soup. Don't get me wrong it tasted really good, but if you are craving a nice thick Chowder, this isn't it. Overall the experience was just ok, not really sure I would try it again.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Tasty house caesar with fresh crab and island fish tacos. Cold beef and ice tea completed the lunch. Great service, quick too!

1  Thank dennis j
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Some of the best Cioppino I've had in a long time. Came in here for lunch while visiting the Long Beach area. My boyfriend and I came in and sat at the bar and were provided excellent service. For our beverages We got some great local craft beers but some of thier cocktails leaving the bar looked spot on! We started our meal off with the Half-Shell oysters and they were possibly the most fresh oysters I've ever had. For an entree we went with a Cioppino and a garden salad. That is salad itself was small so I recommend getting two if it's a party of two. The Cioppino by far was some of the best I've ever had. Served with salmon Cod mussels clams and crab it has a great array of seafood and the sauce itself has so much flavor. I would recommend this place for a nice dinner at staying on the Long Beach Pier. If I go back I'm wanting to go back and try some of their awesome looking sandwiches and steamer clams.

1  Thank blk07
Reviewed 30 March 2018

I tried to order a smoothie for my grandson and was told I don't think we have a blender.My daughter tried to order chicken tenders the waitress said the chicken tenders had been eighty-sixed so I guess they threw them out or whatever. My husband ordered prime rib and it was ice cold.A smoothie finally appeared I guess they used the blender from the bar. The manager came and took $4.00 off the bill for the cold prime rib and his explanation was the kids in the kitchen cooked it too early and it had been sitting out for quite a while.
I hate to admit it but we went back two days later and I ordered the senior bourbon chicken with saute veges and was offered a baked potato. when my plate arrived there were 4 small pieces of zucchini squash and a couple slices of onion there was no sauce on the chicken and 2 pats of butter in a package for the baked potato. This time the smoothie was huge chunks of ice not suitable to serve and the waitress acted put out that she had to make it.To top it off I was charged for the regular bourbon chicken that was a few dollars more. When i asked the waitress about it she was spaced out I don't know where and said I didn't know we had a senior bourbon chicken. All I can say is after poor service and unappetizing food twice We hope this will help others to make another choice for dinner. I know we won't be back!!

Reviewed 21 March 2018

We've eaten at Castaways every year we've visited Long Beach and always loved the kitschy decor -- surfer signs, Parrot Heads, pirates, goofy sayings -- but it's all gone. New management? Maybe, but the old style was way more fun and made Castaways unique.

2  Thank lindahagenmiller