All reviews downtown mt tulip festival skagit valley cat dennis sparky vancouver bed bath
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My most enjoyable B and B experience. Delicious and healhy food, interesting conversation, peaceful atmosphere. I stopped by while planning a cycling tour and Dennis offered me invaluable advice.
A beautifully restored house. Comfortable bed. Dennis is a great host; he's also an artist-- be sure to check ou

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lano H
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I come to Mt. Vernon alot to shop. I had been looking at Dennis's place for awhile but usually travel with a bunch of women! Dennis's spot is perfect for a small group. He is a wonderful, knowledgable and charming host. His house is a gorgeous 1930's gem, beautifully kept. Breakfast was basicly whatever you want and delicious. My husband and I enjoyed our stay immensely and will return.

Room Tip: There are 2 rooms. One with a single bed and one with a queen. However, there are outstanding walk-in cupboards that will hold a cot ala Harry Potter's closet under the stairs!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Like the B&B's we stayed in the 1980's - friendly, homey, informal.
We visited in the spring and found Highland Garden very much as advertised on Dennis' website (http://highlandgardenhouse.wordpress.com/). Only two guest rooms on the same floor as the host's and a shared full bathroom. The bed in the large double room was comfortable. Plenty of storage space for a 5 day stay and a good internet connection.
Meatless breakfasts were filling with french toast, omelets, and as much fruit and homemade granola as you'd like.
Dennis was very helpful with information about the area including driving routes, traffic information, maps, and park passes. This is a good central location for drives into the Cascades, or ferry trips to the San Juan Islands, but not "too" far away to do Seattle.
And "Spanky" the cat was a real character...

Room Tip: Both rooms have plenty of space. Stair climbing a must. Shared bath. No smoking.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Delightful host and very beautiful 1930's house. Well kept up and with a wonderful garden to sit in the sun. It is so close to everything and still quiet. The meals were great with ingredients from the garden, very fresh and well made. I stayed during the time I was taking art classes at LaConnor art workshops on two different weeks and Dennis was very helpful and accommodating for my strange schedule. The cat is huge and very sweet. I will stay here every time I come up for class.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed at the Highland Garden House for close to a week while exploring the area as a place to move to. Dennis was a great host and very knowledgeable about the area, places to go, to eat, etc. He makes a good breakfast, too. The house is clean and organized; the yard and gardens are green and peaceful with a nice area to sit and relax.The house itself is awesome -really beautiful,with lots of character and lovingly taken care of. Spanky is pretty cool too. Neighborhood is established, quiet, safe--important things for a solo female traveler. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo