US$128
US$108
Hotels.com
Tulip Inn Mt. Vernon(Mount Vernon)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$90
US$88
US$174
Fairfield Inn
All reviewsdowntown mttulip festivalskagit valleycatdennissparkyvancouverbedbath
Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed here when looking for a place to stay after having crossed the northern cascades and before traveling to Vancouver. Since we did not want to stay in a hotel, or pay 200 CAD plus, we were very happy to have found this lovely b&b. We really liked the location (very conveniently located towards Vancouver and Seattle and within walking distance of the city center). We stayed in the south room and shared the bathroom with our host and one other guest. However, this was not a problem at all since everything was spotlessly clean and we had access to the bathroom at our preferred time.
Dennis was a very good host and we loved hearing the interesting details of the house, surroundings and history of the region. Also he shared some good baking and cooking tips. Breakfast was freshly made and we really appreciated all the biological self prepared healthy variants of our favorite dishes (oatmeal cups, grain and blueberry muffins, self made granola and granola bars and deliciously baked eggs on self baked bread). I very much recommend to stay here when visiting the area!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marjolijn v
Reviewed 2 November 2015

I was in Mount Vernon to visit my sister who was ill and couldn't house me. Dennis' place was ideal, near the center of town on a hill with a nice view, and with all the comforts of home including free nationwide phone calls and Wifi on tap, both of which were very useful for my situation. Dennis was a chef & farmer in a former life and loves to cook interesting things with fresh ingredients for breakfast. Will definitely stay again on my next visit!

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2015

My wife and I love our home, but this week we decided we need 24 hours in a different space, and had the good fortune to choose Highland Garden House in Mt. Vernon WA. We had a wonderful time, and would gladly go back.

The house is modest in size and the two guest rooms are up a stairway on the second floor. It’s anything but glitzy or hip: intelligently designed, quiet, comfortable and homey. The sound of the train that goes through town might be irritating to some, but we rather liked it. We’re used to a darker sleeping room, so the Summer Solstice woke us earlier than planned. But we slept well.

The garden is truly beautiful and welcoming. The breakfast is really, really good. But the best thing of all is the host: Dennis George.

Dennis is everything a host should be: intelligent, considerate, skillful and kind. He thinks about how to do things in ways that anticipate his guest’s needs, are healthful and good for the Earth. He’s fascinating to walk with (he’d be a superb teacher). He wants to live a good life and share goodness with his guests via his home-baked muffins, home-grown blueberries and philosophy on life. He genuinely welcomed us. His other guest seemed just as happy with her stay.

My wife and I have long known that Skagit County has nice places (our favorites include exploring the lovely gardens and experimental fruit trees at Washington State University’s Mount Vernon Research Center and buying bulk items and beautiful plants at Skagit Valley Food Co-op). And now we know where we want to stay when next we return: with Dennis at Highland Garden House.

Room Tip: We saw only our room, which was not overly large, but very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Catalyst98053
Reviewed 17 May 2015

I was in town for a course I needed to take and didn't want to spend money on a hotel. Dennis is quite nice and his place is homey but, not fancy. Lovely job with the grounds. My bed was quite comfortable and the place was restful and quiet. I didn't get the address ahead of time which concerned me but, it all worked out. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2015

Awesome experience at this wonderful B&B where my sister-in-law and I stayed one night during the Tulip festival this year. There was no compromise on quality for a very affordable price. Dennis has very carefully and meticulously restored this early 1900’s house into a warm, comfortable home. The highlight of course was the breakfast – home made bread, muffins, freshly brewed coffee, excellent omelet – all made of fresh, organic, healthy ingredients.
I will absolutely return to this place if I am ever in the area.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family