“Awesome breakfast, perfect host, charming cat, lovely gardens, walk to the river and downtown Mt Vernon”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Vernon
Highland Garden House B and B
Ranked #3 of 4 Mount Vernon B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 May 2017

We spent the week in Mt. Vernon for the tulip festival. HGH made an ideal location for base of operations for seeing Skagit Valley and a day trip to Vancouver. Customer service is excellent; Dennis even had two bottles of water waiting for us in the room and bathroom totes for each of us. Talk about a good host! Dennis knows every good hiking, kayaking, and scenic spot around. I enjoy hearing about the house, seeing the improvements Dennis made (great job!), and the history of the house / town. Dennis has maps and guide books on hand to show us which roads to take; and, he added points of interest (picturesque roads with overlooks, oysters). We liked the south room, but it did get hotter then we expected the first day; we took Dennis' advise and kept the drapes closed the rest of the week. There is an extra outlet / extension cord in the room, but it is by the table and chair, which still works. My preference is to charge a cell phone or hook up a computer on both sides of the bed. There was room for my CPAP on my side of the bed, which was great! The hall bath was stocked with all sorts of bathroom necessities, in case we forgot anything - very thoughtful. Wasn't expecting to share a bathroom with our host, too; but it was kept so clean it was not an issue. I loved breakfast and the homemade granola bars, and the breakfast cookies are melt in your mouth / angels dancing on the tip of your tongue marvelous. My husband had two every morning, and he is not a sweets person. The website pictures of breakfast really don't do Dennis' talents justice. Loved the eggs to order: I like medium over easy and he has the perfect flip down pat! The resident indoor / outdoor cat, Spanky, loves people and food in equal proportion. Enter at Spanky's door by the back deck. He has his own cat bed where he is the guardian.

Room Tip: The south room looks over the neighborhood. The closet has a hidden room with a small chair & l...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 October 2016

I stayed at Highland Garden House in September 2016 while attending a 3-day pastel workshop at Dakota Art, it's a popular place with Dakota attendees because location is 5 minutes drivetime away, slightly north of downtown Mt Vernon. The old downtown is well-preserved, old-fashioned. Proprietor Dennis George is friendly and accommodating, talked me in on the phone when I arrived on a dark night and had difficulty negotiating the one-way streets. My room (south, there are only 2) was clean, comfortable & well-lit with firm bed with good pillows, a nice book collection & armchair. There is Wi-Fi, no problem with email and smartphone. Walk-in closet is huge, more like a small attic. The House is a 1920's cottage in a neighborhood that doesn't appear to have changed much since those days; decor is fun, original fixtures, vintage flea market finds and owner's memorabilia. The shared bathroom (there is another downstairs) has every amenity - except, and I didn't ask Dennis - a hairdryer. If you really require one, bring your own or ask (a minor thing to me.) Dennis is an excellent cook, bakes all kinds of delicious muffins & bread and will make you anything you want for breakfast, served in the homey atmosphere of a 1920s - 30s family dining room. He is a native, an interesting person who has done many things & makes just the right amount of conversation.The garden is pretty with room for relaxing, although I had no time to do that. There is an elderly cat Spanky, who spent much of his time in the basement or garden when I was there; if you have allergies, you should have no problem. There are plenty of restaurants, cafes, the Co-op deli in Mt Vernon and a convenience store two blocks away. Altogether perfect for me, a lone woman ( the other room was occupied by another lone woman) - sent off with a good breakfast for a day of outdoor artmaking, coming in after dinner with art friends wanting a quiet night's sleep; felt more secure than in a larger hotel or motel. One caveat: there is no place in Mt Vernon where you do not hear trains. If you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs. Free street parking with house permit and reasonably-priced room. Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: North room has larger bed for two people, south room better for one; fairly steep staircase to secon...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed here when looking for a place to stay after having crossed the northern cascades and before traveling to Vancouver. Since we did not want to stay in a hotel, or pay 200 CAD plus, we were very happy to have found this lovely b&b. We really liked the location (very conveniently located towards Vancouver and Seattle and within walking distance of the city center). We stayed in the south room and shared the bathroom with our host and one other guest. However, this was not a problem at all since everything was spotlessly clean and we had access to the bathroom at our preferred time.
Dennis was a very good host and we loved hearing the interesting details of the house, surroundings and history of the region. Also he shared some good baking and cooking tips. Breakfast was freshly made and we really appreciated all the biological self prepared healthy variants of our favorite dishes (oatmeal cups, grain and blueberry muffins, self made granola and granola bars and deliciously baked eggs on self baked bread). I very much recommend to stay here when visiting the area!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marjolijn v
Reviewed 2 November 2015

I was in Mount Vernon to visit my sister who was ill and couldn't house me. Dennis' place was ideal, near the center of town on a hill with a nice view, and with all the comforts of home including free nationwide phone calls and Wifi on tap, both of which were very useful for my situation. Dennis was a chef & farmer in a former life and loves to cook interesting things with fresh ingredients for breakfast. Will definitely stay again on my next visit!

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2015

My wife and I love our home, but this week we decided we need 24 hours in a different space, and had the good fortune to choose Highland Garden House in Mt. Vernon WA. We had a wonderful time, and would gladly go back.

The house is modest in size and the two guest rooms are up a stairway on the second floor. It’s anything but glitzy or hip: intelligently designed, quiet, comfortable and homey. The sound of the train that goes through town might be irritating to some, but we rather liked it. We’re used to a darker sleeping room, so the Summer Solstice woke us earlier than planned. But we slept well.

The garden is truly beautiful and welcoming. The breakfast is really, really good. But the best thing of all is the host: Dennis George.

Dennis is everything a host should be: intelligent, considerate, skillful and kind. He thinks about how to do things in ways that anticipate his guest’s needs, are healthful and good for the Earth. He’s fascinating to walk with (he’d be a superb teacher). He wants to live a good life and share goodness with his guests via his home-baked muffins, home-grown blueberries and philosophy on life. He genuinely welcomed us. His other guest seemed just as happy with her stay.

My wife and I have long known that Skagit County has nice places (our favorites include exploring the lovely gardens and experimental fruit trees at Washington State University’s Mount Vernon Research Center and buying bulk items and beautiful plants at Skagit Valley Food Co-op). And now we know where we want to stay when next we return: with Dennis at Highland Garden House.

Room Tip: We saw only our room, which was not overly large, but very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple