“Work Lunch for 6”
Review of State & Central

State & Central
Ranked #89 of 373 Restaurants in Olympia
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

The fries were crispy and thin. I couldn’t get enough of them. I went out on a limb and had the fish (cod) and chips. Not my normal order. It was above average. The dip was good. Breading was the right balance and the fish tasted like it was fresh and very good quality. The breading was crisp and delicious except for the soggy spots on the underside. The pie crust was really good, filling was good. Those I came with reported that the burgers were the best they have had in Olympia. I can vouch for them, we have gone to all the top burger places within 15 miles. The salad was reported to be ok. Next time I go, I will get a burger.

The staff was friendly and accommodating. It’s not set up for large parties. They had to move tables for our group of 6. It’s also pretty busy with the “new local restaurant” crowd. Parking is on the street and can be challenging to find close.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 11 March 2018

While I really enjoyed the food, waited through most of my meal to get my beer refilled, finally had to flag down the staff to refill my beer at the end. Same story to get the final bill after waiting and do nothing for about 15 minutes, finally flagged down the wait staff again. It was not busy as it was late at night, so it was not the cause for the bad service. Most likely will not return.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 5 January 2018

We were there last Saturday for lunch - our 2nd visit and it was a choice to return based on our 1st experience quite some time ago. We were delighted to find the same friendly, fast, and personal service. The menu, while not huge, offers more than ample variety - if you want pages of food choices go to iHop or Dennys - we like a more pared down menu done excellently. Business was brisk with most tables full, but that did not affect service - staff were smiling and took time to talk. Beer selection is great. We both had the fried chicken with gravy and fries which we had regretted not getting at our first visit. It is excellent - gravy on the chicken and fries hand cut - all delicious. We are not from Olympia but love what this restaurant offers to the neighborhood - a place to gather, talk, laugh, and enjoy great food with friends. Wish we had the same where we live. While we were there we did not see 1 person with their nose stuck in their cellphone - people were clearly enjoying each other over a great glass and tasty food. Highly recommend.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 30 November 2017

Stopped in on a late Saturday afternoon for appetizers & a few beers with friends for an afternoon away from our respective family lives. Cheese curds good, onion rings real good & chili tater tots fantastic. Nice beer selection & we would've stayed longer had the establishment been more adult friendly.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 10 November 2017

Went there at 7PM on a weekday. Were lucky to find 2 tables for our large group as previous patrons were clearing out. Great selection of tap brews. We ordered a cheese burger and chicken Cobb salad. The burger was thick tasty and delicious. The goop dressing added some moistness, but not a lot of flavor. The fries, which I ordered extra crispy, came as sort of anemic, but very good tasting. They were whole cut with parts of skin which was good. Not sure they were extra crispy. The Cobb salad had lost of fresh greens, but spouse complained they were swimming in dressing. The place is very noisy and that could probably be improved with some softer ceiling treatment in the rafters. The prices were excellent. Service reasonable.

Date of visit: November 2017

Been to State & Central? Share your experiences!