“Love the Name, Service a Tad Strange”
Review of Burial Grounds

Burial Grounds
Ranked #5 of 12 Bakeries in Olympia
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Description: Burial Grounds is a community coffee shop that offers customers the use of public computers as well as a varied menu of traditional and specialty coffee drinks. Freshly roasted beans are provided by Dino's in Olympia and tea is sourced from Mad Hat Tea in Tacoma.
Reviewed 3 December 2015

Maybe it's just Olywa, which is a unique city, that I found my visit here so ... unique. I loved the name and it came recommended. So although I am an out-of-towner, I found it odd that my companion had to turn over her purse and coat to use the restroom. I ordered a simple coffee, held her purse and coat, and politely dealt with the odd looks from the woman waiting on me behind the counter. Perhaps it was just an off day/post-holiday stress on the part of the staff because I really wanted to like it here but found my transaction unpleasant and off-putting.

There are newer reviews for Burial Grounds

Reviewed 26 November 2015

I'm picky about my coffee drinks. Few places in Olympia live up to my expectations, burial grounds is by far and away the best coffee house I've ever been to. It has a funky, downtown vibe, with some no nonsense, awesome baristas. Highly recommend any of their drinks but the hot chocolate with the works is incredible. The atmosphere might not appeal to everyone, but the drinks are loved universally.

Reviewed 8 November 2015

There are so many great spots in Olympia. If you're of the goth persuasion, you'll be especially pleased. Burial Grounds Coffee is a must stop for lots of reasons like delicious well crafted drinks and skulls floating in your foam.

The drink menu has espresso, tea and other stuff. The Thai Iced Tea is good here! The menu items have names like Jabberwocky, Deadly Night Shade, Grave Robber and Sandman....getting the gist? My favourite is the Ice Cold Corpse which has caramel & four shots.

A wonderful, funky vibe here...space for about 15 or so people, so not great for a crowd. The baristas are excellent here - they're friendly & pull a mean shot.

This is the best kind of indy coffee house to support!!

1  Thank jay s
Reviewed 24 October 2015 via mobile

Stopped here on the way to the coast for a quick wake up coffee. This place is fun with a great vibe. The coffee was delicious and the service was nice. Would recommend this for a pick me up with a graveyard twist.

1  Thank chefjeff60
Reviewed 15 September 2015 via mobile

I visited in the evening with one friend who is overweight and another who is a farm worker whose first language is Spanish. First, the staff was very rude to the big guy while he was ordering his coffee. Next, when our very polite, fully employed Latino friend went to the counter to ask for the restroom key, the same staff member who sold him some hot chocolate a few minutes earlier challenged him on whether he was a customer. Apparently he reminded her of a street person. This place is friendly to those under 30 who wear fashionably funky clothes, but if you don't fit that mold, beware.

Mara C, Owner at Burial Grounds, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2015

The subtext here is we profiled someone who didn't speak English and/or someone who was overweight and looked a particular way. Things we try NEVER to do and I apologize if an employee was having a particularly rough day, thus making the mistake of asking about drink buying. I am sorry you had a bad experience and am sorry how conversation came off.

We try to treat everyone the same regarding questions asked and amenities received, so asking about drinks bought has nothing to do with where a person is coming from and everything to do with a drink being bought.

If you have any questions on policy, our policy board in the back of our physical location covers why we do what we do and how it impacts certain people and why certain things, like the bathroom, are subjects of strict surveillance.

Been to Burial Grounds? Share your experiences!