“Great casual meal”

Grinders Italian
Ranked #4 of 94 Restaurants in Shoreline
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Deli, Soups
Description: Grinders Hot Sands is an Italian based restaurant in Shoreline, WA serving tasty, famous grinders, amazing pasta and soups that have a local following. Lunch and dinner daily. Beer and wine. Live music. Take out and order ahead available.
Reviewed 17 January 2017

We went for an early dinner on a Monday night. Our server was very cordial and provided attentive service throughout our meal including pacing the soup and main meal. The soup of the day was Italian Wedding, which was very good. For dinner, my wife ordered the cavatappi pasta with marinara sauce. For a small additional charge, she added mushrooms to the dish. I tasted the pasta and we both agreed that, while the sauce was a little on the salty side, the order was very good and the plentiful amount of large sliced mushrooms held their flavor against the delicious red sauce. An order of garlic cheese bread was the perfect accompaniment. I had the SauBall grinder that was a combination of sausage and meatballs. While most of the grinders come in two sizes, medium and large, the SauBall was offered only in a large. This was definitely a meal+, with the sausage and meatballs being equally good. In retrospect, I think that I would have enjoyed it more if I had gotten either the meatball or the sausage because the combo somewhat limited my ability to enjoy just how good each item was. Even though we were both comfortably full from the generous portions, we had heard about their bread pudding so decided to get a single serving to go. Later that evening we split the dessert, which could have easily fed three. Two sauces, Chantilly and whiskey, were included and provided perfect toppings to the delicious ending of a great meal. What the restaurant lacks in overall décor, they make up with a painted jazz mural along one wall; a large collection of old framed photographs on the other, and good service and food. We will definitely return.

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

Service is beautiful. Ambiance is perfectly cozy and elegant. The sandwiches are mind blowing - the best French Dip I've had. They've a roasted vegetable sandwich that brings you to tears with joy.

I suggest you share a sandwich - portions are humongous.

I've been there a few times and I've always left happy!

Reviewed 13 December 2016

I've driven by this place at least a 100 times, but having recently moved near this gem on Highway 99, I finally decided to check it out. Am I glad I did! I came in on a rainy Saturday thinking of having a meatball grinder, but I let myself be persuaded to have The Tuscan, a delicious hot roasted pork, ham and cappicola concoction with Swiss cheese and sauce on a soft Italian roll. I admittedly wolfed down a large one of these sandwiches because it was so delicious I couldn't stop eating it. Come hungry! I saw the meatball grinders and those were very sizeable sandwiches. The menu is ample, the portions are ample and the atmosphere is cozy. Blues music on while you hang out in the place, they host live blues music several Saturdays a month. The smells from the open kitchen and the music made me feel comfortable and at home. The pictures on the wall are of the owners family and are just great pictures, fun to look at. I brought home a piece of their house-made bread pudding with whiskey hard sauce and cream and it was moist and delicious. I definitely want to go back and bring friends and try some other things on the menu. A nice find, right on 99. I'll be back.

Reviewed 15 September 2016

Our son recommended this restaurant for a evening meal when we visited him in Bothell. He had eaten there several times and was confident we would enjoy it too.
As imagined, the menu is not extensive, but there are about 15 different sandwiches on the menu. He advised us to split an order, unless we were starved, so we of course didn't pay any heed to his suggestion.

I ordered the Ciabatta, ($11.95), my wife did the Stromboli ($10.95), and my son and his wife split the Meatball ($10.95). Drinks were ordered and served quickly and soon the meals arrived. My sandwich was large, about 4 inches wide and 11 inches long. It was topped up with Salami, Mortadella, roasted pork loin, and dressed with roasted tomato spread, Parmesan
and artichoke aoli, and caramelized onions.

I proceeded to attack it, and with much effort, did finish it. Mostly because the following day we would be traveling and couldn't do a "to go" box easily. It was too much tho, and even being a big eater, I suffered for a while afterward.
A good place to eat, very casual and laid back, I would recommend it if you are hungry for this type of food.

Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

Maybe I just got a bad-luck sandwich.
I've read so many good reviews, but I just didn't see it.

The grinders were a good size, so it's good bang for your buck.

We got ours to-go, so they sat for about 15 minutes before I ate it.

I bit into several pieces of hard chicken and the bread was a bit soggy.

Will update if I ever try them again. This time I'll eat there and have it fresh out of the oven.