“Classics without any classic ingredients?!?!?!?!?”
Review of Bon Bon

Bon Bon
Ranked #365 of 949 Restaurants in Spokane
Good for: Bar Scene
Description: Cocktail lounge.
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We went into this place because of the reviews - classic cocktails, awesome, I have always had a penchant for the classics. Bartender asks us what we would like so we asked to see a cocktail menu - she sighs and walks over to a table and takes two menus away from a group of 6 who were like -WTF. Then she presented to us two stained and torn paper menus and we started to peruse the list.

Nothing there I like so I asked for a First Avenue created in NY in the 1800's. They never heard of it and asked what was in it, I told them and they said we don't carry that liqueur. "Fine" I said let's move to something in the 1900's "How about a Fog Cutter?" I ask(It was invented in the 1940's). Never heard of that either, what's in it they ask again - frustrated I goggled it on my phone since there appears to be no bartenders guide in this place. Once I found a recipe I showed them it and they said: "Sorry can't make that we don't have Orgeat syrup". HUH - When I bartended at TGIF in the late 80's they even had Orgeat syrup, it's used in lots of classic cocktails.

Ok this is getting ridiculous, so let me just order a simple drink, they are trying to be a classic cocktail house I'll order the favorite of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, a dubonnet and gin. Sorry sir we don't carry dubonnet . . . . . (sigh)

Kudos for them for being nice and trying and especially for using fresh squeezed juice in the drinks but they seriously need to expand their selection of alcohol and ingredients if they wish to make classic cocktails rather than just a few standards.

2  Thank RetiredChef2

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Enjoy Spokane's hottest spot to sample classic drinks! Step back in time to an era where drinks were made with homemade syrups, fresh ingredients, herbs and spices. Sit back and enjoy the vintage flavor of yesteryear while enjoying the vintage decor reflected from the Garland Theater that BonBon is tucked inside of. Easy parking and outside access, tasty apps and free popcorn. Hurry in, Spokanites and visitors! No other place it like it in the city.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

Nestled in the garland theater. My Peruvian wife and I decided to give it a try. The atmosphere is pretty good. Kind of a younger hippie scene with furniture from the 50s. The Greek appetizers are pretty good. The drinks are strong. Expensive, but strong. The only thing I have to complain about is the pisco is from chili. It's like getting vodka from mexico

Reviewed 26 July 2012

During a recent trip to Spokane for a class reunion, friends insisted we go to Bon Bon for a night cap. Not only were the cocktails exceptional (I'd say they have brought the art back to cocktails) but the service was off the charts. We got there around midnight and had the munchies - and wouldn't you know, the staff had no problem assembling an appetizer platter for us. This is a must stop and enjoy place if you are visiting Spokane for any reason.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

I went to Bon Bon on a Thursday night with a group of about 8 people. The place is small, but there is one area for larger groups to sit. We ordered a wide variety of cocktails and beers here, and everyone was very impressed with the drinks. Gabe, the bartender, was very knowledgeable about drinks and made me something not on the menu. I told him the alcohol that I liked and he mixed up one of the best drinks I have ever had. This place reminds me of a bar that would be in a large city like Seattle or San Diego. The decor is great, the service is wonderful, and the drinks are top notch. This place really has "it" and I would highly recommend a visit here.

Been to Bon Bon? Share your experiences!