“New owners, great food, much needed remodel.”
Review of El Sombrero

El Sombrero
Ranked #375 of 956 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 16 April 2015

This restaurant has new owners as of December I think. They have updated the decor and the menu. We had the crisp taco platter with shredded beef , and the soft taco platter with chicken and both were so good, spicy, delicious and lots of food. Our waitress was so smiley and happy. We will definitely go back

Reviewed 3 September 2014

We always stop by and say Hi, relax in the bar and have something to eat. Relaxed and fair prices dont hurt either.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I prefer the bar area over the dining just because it is adult only. This restaurant always has some sort of special and the food and serving sizes are good. The margarita that I had was GREAT. Their salsa is spot on and so are the chips. Fun atmosphere and good service. It is right off of Division so very easy to find, free parking in front and in back (not like a lot of places down town).

Reviewed 23 October 2013

First off I'm not sure what the picture they have in this listing represents, but that is not what this restaurant looks like. It's more of a little "hole in the wall" type place, which we usually enjoy! Last time we went we had good food, nice portions at decent prices. This time we arrived during the Friday dinner rush although we were in a lull. Our server had 4 tables, 2 of which were done and she had taken one their ticket and was prepping the same for the other. She managed to get us our water and a beer, in 6 different visits to our table. By her second, we were ready to order but although she kept dashing by to say she'd be right back, she'd be right back, she'd get a piece of paper and be right back, we finally got tired of waiting after about 40 minutes and left to go to Azteca across the street! Odd, you would have thought with the owner being in the restaurant, the service would have been better. The food, atmosphere and prices aren't good enough to bring us back. We were so displeased we will be giving our groupon for El Sombrero away.

1  Thank Donna H
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I was downtown during lunch time and thought I wanted to eat something that was not a chain or fast food restaurant. I was driving just past the Y on Newport Hwy toward Greenbluff looking for something different. I spied a little restaurant on the opposite side of the Mall. (Target) and thought I would try it. It was a Mexican restaurant that was amazing!! The tortillas are homemade (corn tortillas homemade? NO ONE DOES THIS) and the taco I had with shredded beef was the best I have tasted since southern Calif near the border. I also had an enchilada with green sauce and beans. I can't tell you how exceptional the food was. It came out on a screaming hot plate that added to the greatness. I commented on how tasty the beans were and was informed they do not use lard! I was blown away that you can make refried beans this flavorful without using lard! The green sauce was amazing! If you go you have to have the shredded beef in anything you order ... it is to DIE FOR. The only thing I was not super thrilled about was the salsa they give you with chips while you are waiting. The chips were excellent and homemade but the salsa was processed in a processor. It was tasty and you could tell it was homemade but I prefer chunks of tomato, onion, cilantro, etc. Not all pureed together. Tasted really good though. I will definitely go back here again and again. If you like real Mexican food you have to go here. You will not be disappointed. Oh I forgot to tell you about the service. Always had my glass filled, super friendly, and was so delightful I paid my waitress 50% of my bill. Very unusual these days.

Been to El Sombrero? Share your experiences!