“Not your average mexican food”
Review of The Matador

The Matador
Ranked #11 of 812 Restaurants in Tacoma
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Matador Restaurants offer fresh Tex-Mex cuisine & premium tequilas in an inviting, social atmosphere — visit us in Seattle, Tacoma, Redmond, Portland, & Boise.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

LOVE The Matador. I wish I lived closer. I would go more often. They make a different type of al fresco mexcian food, it's not covered in cheese (nothing wrong with cheese, just sayin'). I was there with a work companion, he loves mexican food and he was very impressed with his seafood dish. Another great find in Tacoma. Not to mention the fact that the downtown area is really cleaned up, no garbage on the streets, no street people. Very impressed with what Tacoma has done.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

It had been awhile since I've been to the Matador so my husband and I decided to go back after a late night hockey game. We went Tuesday night around 10pm, right after we left the Thunderbird game and it was pretty packed for a Tuesday night. We went right at happy hour and was seated right away. The place is pretty dark so if dining in a low lighting place is not your thing, you might not like it. We ordered a few things off their happy hour menu: their nachos grande for my husband and 3 pork belly street tacos and crispy calamari for me. I had their chili mango margarita and that was amazing! I loved the tajin on the rim of the glass! I didn't care for the calamari at all. It wasn't as crispy as I would like it and it was a little on the bland side. I wouldn't order it again but the pork belly tacos tho...oh gosh! They were melt in your mouth delicious! I regret not ordering more than 3 after I finished it all! Their nachos seemed like one of the most popular happy hour choice as it seemed like every table had at least ordered of it but I didn't care for it. It wasn't anything too wowing as it was a huge pile of chips, cheese, black beans, pico de gallo, and guacamole. I found it to be too greasy but hubby liked it though. Then again, he already had 6 beers at the game so greasy food had his heart that night! The service was just alright. Nothing too stellar. Our server only came to check on us once during our meal but like I said, it was a busy Tuesday night. I would totally go back for happy hour to get my hands on those pork belly tacos again!

Reviewed 29 March 2018

I just called to order lunch to go for ONE person and was informed they are "too busy" for to go orders and "maybe you can call back in 30 mins". Are you serious?! I have ordered lunch from here many times and NEVER been told this. I have also ordered lunch from about a million other places over the last 30 years of life and NEVER been told it is "too busy" for to go orders. That will be the last time I ever eat at the Matador again after being a faithful 2-3x month customer. Awful customer service and an awful practice. The excuse that the "kitchen staff cannot keep up with the restaurant AND to go orders" is ridiculous and lame, especially this day and age. Hire more people don't turn business away.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

This place is always awesome. Great service and amazing food! Our s ever was extremely attentive. Parking is hard during busy times and there is often a wait to get a table, but it’s worth it.

Reviewed 2 March 2018

My husband and I were invited out to dinner. This was our first visit to The Matador. I absolutely loved the ambiance! It was bustling. Really busy but we only had a short wait until we were seated. The menu had lots of great, unique items.
We started off with a CADILLAC MARGARITA, TORTILLA SOUP and the CRISPY BRUSSELS SPROUTS. The margarita was perfectly perfect. Set the mood for a night of great Mexican food. The brussel sprouts were good even to someone who doesn't normally like them! They are fried, crispy and mixed w/peppers, lime, agave and were sprinkled w/a little cotija cheese. They are rich though. Next to arrive, the tortilla soup. I wish I could give a better description but our bowl had SO may jalapenos that for me it was inedible. Anyone who loves super-duper spicy could eat it fine but my mouth was on fire!! The roasted chicken in it was melt in your mouth tender though, that I can tell you. As for the main dish, I ordered the STREET TACOS and my husband got the SKILLET SEARED FAJITAS. We shared. I liked 3 of my 5 tacos. I wish I knew which was which. The fajitas were pretty good. My husband didn't care for the texture of the steak, said he wish he had gotten chicken. I thought it was good, but I'm more of a red meat person than he is! We ended the evening w/the fried ice cream. It was delicious.
All in all, it was a happening place w/lovely scenery, nice service, great drinks and good food.
I would return!

Been to The Matador? Share your experiences!