“worst motel/hotel stay (for our family) in history.”

Motel 6 Tumwater - Olympia
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Tumwater
Reviewed 17 April 2017

This was worst motel/hotel stay (for our family) in history. More than 20 years traveling.
1. My wife suffers from her lungs. So I called in advance making sure we had a smoke free room.
2. When we arrived the only room available Smelled so bad. It smelled like a wet ashtray, which is worse than cigarette butt.
3. Weird that the policies of this hotel enforces to all adults in the room to get photocopies of Driver licenses (or passports) they even have Card /Passport reader to scan all information. Of course, based on the clientele i.e. people smoking dope outside @ the parking lot
4. There was a weird guy selling stolen shoes outside of our bedroom door. When I wanted to go out and complain about the smell I had to go back. I felt threaten by this guy.
5. The A/C was broken we had to leave the window half open and afraid that somebody could break in.

We couldn't sleep at all. I understand that this is a "cheap" motel. But when something is promised in regards of service then they should comply.
So many strings attached. In the end you end up paying more than 80+ dollars adding internet, fridge, microwave. No free breakfast.

Now, motel 6 is in my black list, for sure

Room Tip: avoid this motel at any circumstances
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank leonarbe
6Team, Brand Experience Team at Motel 6 Tumwater - Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2017

Dear Leonarbe, Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Safety and security are high priorities within Motel 6 standards for quality and we regret you felt differently during your visit. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure in delivering on the commitment during your recent stay. Please know the issues you describe are an exception to our guest commitment and as such, we apologize. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations Department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 10 April 2017

I have already complained to head office and had some action, but I wanted to write a review because of the confusion that ensued with the partial refund they offered. This is a company so incompetent that they couldn't even issue a cheque to the right person; instead, they refunded it to my Visa and I had to transfer the funds. Although the people there were very nice, they clearly need help from head office to bring their establishment up to par. It's old, dirty, and run down. I will never stay in a Motel 6 again, having had too many bad experiences in various ones in this general area. You truly do get what you pay for, and I'd rather pay a bit more and not feel like I have to disinfect all my belongings when I get home. A once proud brand has gone to total trash.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Thejourneygenie

Dear Genie, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure in delivering on the commitment during your recent stay. We strive to provide a comfortable night's rest and are disappointed your stay was unsatisfactory due to the comfort issues you describe. We invite you to contact our Guest Relations Department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience.

Reviewed 3 March 2017

Trust me; I'm not just dissing the Motel 6 chain. I have stayed in other Motel 6s (for example,Anderson, CA; Coos Bay, Oregon; Anchorage, AK) that were very primitively equipped but CLEAN. This one was NOT--at least not in room 145. Cookie crumbs in the shower stall, A half-eaten slice of bacon pizza under the bed. A syrup-sticky "cleaning service" notice on the pillow case. Long, dark hairs on the towels and wash cloths. Stained curtains. Sheets and blankets with multiple burn holes (in a supposedly non-smoking room). You get the picture. If I hadn't already experienced what a well-kept Motel 6 room could be like, I would never stay in one again. In any event, three nights here (due to crowded motels in the area) RUINED the rest-and-relaxation part of our trip. NOTE: This review is in NO way intended to reflect on the front-desk service, which was friendly and apologetic. Hm.

Room Tip: EXAMINE your room thoroughly BEFORE you accept it. Bring plenty of disinfectant and cleaning rags, t...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cjckcjck

Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback recognizing our excellent staff. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure during your recent stay. Please know the conditions you describe are an exception to our guest commitment and as such, we apologize for the inconveniences you describe. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations Department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience.

Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

Room clean and everything looks updated hardwood floors. Good location in tumwater. Nice shower didn't have any problem with the temperature No shampoo and conditioner or hair dryer. Nice at check in, security is good. Stayed by myself But for 50 bucks well worth it.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

As you can expect it was located in a strip mall area. That's ok when living in a motel though. However it seemed a bit gritty. Cars with broken windows and strange characters smoking on the doorsteps. In our room the beds were full of body hairs, but the super friendly staff and cleaning lady hooked us up with a new room where everything was ok and the rest of the stay was all right.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumwater
3 km away
Quality Inn
#8 of 9 in Olympia
3.2 km away
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion

Been to Motel 6 Tumwater - Olympia? Share your experiences!