“Everything I hoped it would be!”

Tony's Butcher Block
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 7 November 2016 via mobile

A good friend recently purchased a home in the beautiful rolling mountains of West Virginia. During my weekend out I decided to roam through town and check out the scenery. On the outskirts of town towards cacapon state park I saw a sign for "brick oven pizza" being a pizza chef and true foodie, I couldn't pass it up. From the moment we walked through the door we were instantly amazed! I never thought in such an unassuming place I'd find an Italian market style deli. The meat case is beautiful, really nice cuts, pretty decent prices. A selection of seafood, deli meats, salads, soups, smoked whole hams, breads, wine I mean what else could one ask for? Upon walking up to the counter (take a number) I was told the pizza under the heat lamp was free to sample! As I looked at the menu pondering over what I wanted now, after finding out I could try the pizza for free, I decided to order a cheese steak sub. My mom and younger brother both got a cup of the broccoli cheddar soup, it was delicious! After what seemed like a very short wait, I received my sub and we were on our way. When we were headed down the road I noticed that I had the wrong order. I was a little disappointed to see that my beef cheese steak was accidentally a chicken cheese steak but it smelled amazing and was real chopped chicken. I got over the initial disappointment and was happy to try the chicken instead, after all, they're not going anywhere and I'll be back in town soon I'm sure. My chicken cheese steak was DELICIOUS! seasoned very well, not chopped too fine, absolutely up there with one of the best. We were all incredibly satisfied with our food, and are definitely looking forward to visiting Tony's again in the future. The staff are friendly, fast and efficient. Spend some money at Tony's butcher block, you be glad you did.

1  Thank Gordon W

Reviewed 21 October 2016 via mobile

Picked up sandwiches for our onward journey out of West Virginia. Couldn't believe the choice. We all had something different. When we got around to eating them they were awesome. My cousin had recommended this place to us as they eat here regularly and know Tony. We would recommend this ourselves.

Reviewed 1 October 2016

My husband & I have been frequenting Tony's since moving here 5 yrs ago. It is excellent. We order a pizza almost every Friday evening. I believe I was in the store when ms443 was there and remember the staff apologizing for a malfunction with the oven. He was offered complimentary foods for his inconvenience. I hope that he will reconsider as he is missing out on a fantastic experience.

Reviewed 26 September 2016

Had to wait 45 minutes for two medium pizzas. They were awful. It looked like a complete mess. Crust not totally cooked, sauce had an off flavor. Burned on top, not quite cooked underneath. Very disappointed after reading all the reviews. One star is being generous.

Frankie R, Manager at Tony's Butcher Block, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2016

We were deeply saddened to hear your pizzas were not enjoyable. Not an excuse by any means, rather I would like to shed some light on what happened; furthermore invite you back and let us make it up to you.

The wood fired oven is not a turn key operation, it requires constant attention and nurturing to maintain proper temperature. A 50 degree delta is the difference between a burnt pizza or a raw pizza. You fell victim of getting a pizza prepared in an oven that was not at correct temperature, you should have not been served this, however we never want to disappoint customers and thought we could make it work by rushing the oven to correct temperature. I can say this is an anomaly for us and hope you chose to allow us to gift you two properly cooked pizzas.

Sincere apologies,
Frank Rainieri

Reviewed 30 April 2016

The food from Tony's is very good. I love their sandwiches and their pizza is the best in town. The only down side is that there's really no place to eat, so it's strictly a take a place.

The actual butcher shops is also really nice and many times it's the only game in town for a particular cut or type of meat.