“Family favorite for people and food!!”
Review of Roy's

Roy's
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 2 December 2016

We try to eat here at least every two weeks because we LOVE the people and the food!! Everyone working here seems outgoing, friendly and genuinely concerned not only that you enjoy your experience but that you also form a great opinion of the area. Almost everything is home cooked as the taste indicates.

Located at the north east side of the Routes 9 and 522 intersection in Berkeley Springs, WV, Betty Lou's ole Garage Restaurant is located in what used to be the service bays of Roy's gas station. When you enter the place you would never know that because Betty Lou's [yes, there is a real Betty Lou and she is a wonderful person who also bakes the very best pies] family memorabilia and Betty Boop collection decorates the entirely renovated space. All of the staff [and regular patrons--so you will hear hearty greetings, teasing and feel a general positive, welcoming vibe!!] are 'family members' --and the service is very friendly, fast and genuine! Tasty food comes in large portions [we end up almost always taking about 1/2 of our servings home] and covers all your usual 1950's diner type offerings plus daily specials. Truely excellent home-style cooking!! The staff make every effort to get your order right regarding doneness, 'extras', and fast prep/serving times.

How it works: Enter the Restaurant, consult the dry board menu [or look at the food display cases or the menus on the tables], tell the counter worker what you want, take a seat, wait until a waitress serves the food. While waiting, get your own soda fountain or other soft drinks from the coolers [large selection of beers too]. The waitress gives you the note made when you ordered when she brings your food. When you are finished you take the note to a cashier and say what you had to drink. It's truly a wonderful experience: You are well treated, get what you paid for and your honesty is unquestioned.

Practical notes: Betty Lou's usually opens at 7 A.M. & closes at 2 P.M. Co-located with Roy's Service station and general store. There're some parking spaces in front of Betty Lou's and elsewhere at the gas station. Big comfortable chairs at stable tables or you may sit outside at picnic tables. Plates are deep-dish plastic and the mismatched silver reminds us of 1940's-50's family-run diners. If you order something that usually needs ketchup, don't be surprized if it does not appear to arrive with your food--the waitress has a bottle in her pocket!! Ask for other condiments when you place your food order. It is courteous to bus your table when you finish. Tip jars at order and check out counters.

Reviewed 2 November 2016

Just stopped in for a coffee and before I knew it, I had sat down having a fresh cooked breakfast brought over. This isn't restaurant food, but good home cooking. Everyone is real nice and helpful with great prices and excellent value. I don't know everyones names, but everyone was greeted with a smile. Great beer chiller and selection of craft and "regular beers" inside the general store next to the restaurant. Forget the big brand gas station across the road. Support loval families and businesses in Berkeley Springs.

Reviewed 31 July 2016

We've been here several times because of their great location near where we stay off route 9.. The prices are reasonable but on par with the area. They have their own parking with enough space for guests.

The French toast isn't fantastic but the eggs and sausage gravy have been successful for us. My father-in-law loves their pancakes because they are light and thin but I've never had them myself (I prefer a thick, fluffy pancake myself; just as well, no one could top my mom's.)

I do feel slightly out of place here by not being a local, I swear our food and service always takes just a little longer because they don't know us. It's convenient to come here and to park but there also aren't a ton of other good breakfast options nearby, so we keep coming back.

2  Thank svsp
Reviewed 31 May 2016

I got French toast with a sausage patty and a side of grits. The French Toast was just made on "wonder" type bread which was soggy and it was served with margarine, not butter. They gave you a bottle of generic Maple flavored syrup with it. The sausage patty was large but very dry. My husband got biscuits with chipped beef and gravy. The portion was very large, but it was also quite bland. The biscuits didn't taste homemade and the gravy was very thick and gelatinous. It was very inexpensive, but I was expecting a lot more because of the good reviews they had gotten. The people were very nice though.

Reviewed 28 April 2016

Food is good for a gas station - seating area is crowded and somewhat worn out. Mostly self serve except for hot food - makes paying for kinda difficult