All reviews copper beech civil war wonderful hosts historic house stonewall jackson my husband and i harpers ferry quiche highly recommend this b b antietam battlefield front porch the garden view room stuffed french toast love history robin's nest lovely house rooms are beautiful
Reviewed 12 August 2011

This charming bed and breakfast is a historic house in Charles Town WVA. The house was used as a meeting place during the Civil War where Grant and Sherman made plans for the Federalist's assault on the valley. We stayed in the Copper Beech room which had a king sized bed, a two person tub, and a private screened in porch. The room was very nicely decorated and had all of the modern conveniences, as well as nice fluffy towels, robes, bath salts, and a stocked refrigerator. The hosts, Don and Mary, were very nice and hospitable. The breakfasts were wonderful with great presentation. We were served fresh fruit and juice daily and we had quiche, a homemade muffin, and bacon one day and french toast with apples, eggs, and sausage the second day. Coffee and tea were available all day and into the evening and an afternoon treat such as cookies or cake. There is also a large front porch with a swing. The inn is a short drive to Harper's Ferry, Antietam Battlefield, and Frederick. A casino and horse track are nearby, but we did not go. There are many restaurants nearby and some within walking distance. I highly recommend this charming inn. There is some history with George Washington also, as the town is named after his brother Charles.

1  Thank nreigle
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights as part of a short vacation. The host & hostess were extremely gracious, and the breakfasts were excellent. We visited both Harper's Ferry and the Antietam National Military Park during our visit, which are both fairly close to Charles Town. The room we had booked was unavailable due to some work that was being performed there, so we were upgraded, at no additional charge, to the best room in the place, the "Copper Beeches Suite." The room was beautiful, with a Jacuzzi and a small screen porch off the back - we had our breakfast there after the first night, and ate in the dining room the next day. The area around the Inn was very nice to walk around, and the center of town was withing easy walking distance. It was very quiet and comfortable and we would definitely visit again.

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank BadandsManx
Reviewed 8 August 2011

From my first phone conversation with innkeeper Marie Davis I knew we would enjoy our stay at Carriage Inn. Donn met us at the door and, even though after 10:30p gave us a brief, colorful history of the house and the Civil War notables that had stayed there. The room was as beautiful as the rest of the house with every accommodation we needed and several we didn't like the cranberry, white chocolate, oatmeal cookies on the dining table for a midnight snack (pound cake our second night) and the fabulous breakfasts (scrumptious french toast - orange marmalade and cream cheese between two pieces with a lemony syrup on top). We would absolutely stay here again...and again. Steve in Cheverly, MD

1  Thank stephenpmartin
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My husband and I have enjoyed traveling in B&B's through the last few years. I can't think of a better stay than the Carriage Inn.

After a long, hot day's traveling through Harper's Ferry NHP, we arrived at the Inn, half an hour past check in. Donn and Marie met us at the door! They gave us a wonderful tour and described all the history to the inn - being history chasers, we loved every bit. My favorite was knowing that Sheridan and Grant had once met in the very room in which we would be breakfasting!

We took some dinner recommendations from Donn and walked a few blocks into town - past the courthouse in which the John Brown trial took place. We arrived to find a HUGE platter of the MOST amazing chocolate chip cookies - Donn has a gift!

The inn was spotless and beautifully decorated. Even a little glitch in the plumbing Donn had carefully explained, we dealt with it fine - and it seemed charming.

THEN BREAKFAST - it was SUPERB. I had the most wonderful pancake it has ever been my privilege to eat!

We will work for an excuse to return to this Inn! What wonderful, open hosts! Wish we could have stayed more than one night!

And best of all, the price of this inn was not too much more than a stay in a chain hotel - considering the quality, beauty of the room, and amazing breakfast, an easy choice for your area stay!

1  Thank NJTeacherJen
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We called the Inn on a Saturday morning asking for just a one night stay and they graciously agreed. Usually they require a 2 night stay on the weekend. The inn is lovely--well kept and very clean. They gave us a tour along with the history behind it when we arrived. They have a dessert in the dining room for guests in the afternoon/evening. Donn's poundcake was the best that I have ever had. He said that it was his grandmother's recipe. Donn and Marie were very helpful with restaurant recommendations.
Breakfast was delicious--they bent over backwards to accomodate my food allergies. The inn is just 6 miles or so from Harpers Ferry. We hope to stay there again sometime.

Date of stay: July 2011