Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews the main house winter cottage serenity suite wine pairing couples massage next morning the cottages sunset suite romantic getaway breakfast was delicious gas fireplace dietary restrictions b bs farm house soaking tub bed and breakfast large bathroom
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 February 2021

What an enjoyable time at Hillbrook! The booking process was easy, and the communication before, during & after our stay was excellent. They are doing a wonderful job with COVID - everything was meticulously cleaned and we felt very safe. We stayed in one of the cottages which was newly renovated and quite lovely. Breakfast was delicious as well! We would most certainly recommend the Hillbrook and look forward to a return visit.

Date of stay: February 2021
Management response:Responded 5 March 2021

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed 14 February 2021 via mobile

Traveled 3 hours from Pittsburgh to spend alone time with my bride, not telling her the location of our spa weekend , she was pleasantly surprised and delighted at our accommodations. Hawthorn House from the 1800s provided a renovated, beautiful place to lodge with historic pleasantries, tranquil settings by fireplace , billiards , and calming relaxation.
The Spa was amazing! Breakfast by chef changes daily , (savory and sweet ) Dinner for two ❤️Valentines menu was excellent and romantic in every way ! Julie provided history and just the right amount of interaction, she’s a keeper ( literally) amazing friendly staff at every level ! Very professional

Date of stay: February 2021
Management response:Responded 5 March 2021

We are happy to hear that your stay was so enjoyable! Our staff members always aim to please. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 12 December 2020

I was super excited about spending two night here but overall it missed some marks.
We stayed in the South room at the Hawthrone House. The house itself is very nice. The entrance is very inviting. Our room was on the first floor. That was the BIGGEST mistake of them all. Our first night we had the building to ourselves that was nice.
The room has a nice fireplace although the flame was turned down as low as possible and could hardly be seen. It must vent outside because it didn't generate heat.
The first night our room was boiling hot. The hostess said we could text and she would adjust the heat with her phone but at 1 am that would be rude. We ended up sleeping with the balcony door open so as not to roast. The vents were in the bathroom it seemed so we closed that bathroom off to decrease the heat too.
The bed as not terribly comfortable - it sunk in the middle meaning it has seen better days and either needs flipping or replaced. The bathroom was dated but nice enough. Water pressure and temperate were perfect.
That first night we went to the dining room for dinner. I have done many dinners where you pay a flat fee and basically get what you get because it's supposed to be amazing. We were sat in a room with a fireplace. The fireplace was not lit and it was freezing in that room. Who wants to eat dinner in 3 layers of clothing. Our waitress was amazing and eventually after the second course she attempted to light a fire that burned out before dessert but at least she tried. It would be nice if there were 2 selections fo each of the courses. The salad was beets which are not the most loved food in the world. Our second course was pork belly on sweet potato grits. The grits were hands down one the best things I have eaten in a long time and the best part of the meal. The scallops were not seared that well and overall just average. Our dessert was not sweet and the granola on top was a bit too earthy for me.
Our last night the Hawthorne house filled up. You can hear every movement above you. The floors are so loud and the people above us didn't go to sleep. We could hear their conversations and literally everything.... I was just plain horrible. Our room was boiling hot again too. At 3 am they were still stomping around up there. Finally at 6 am we couldn't take it anymore after no sleep and got up and came home. It was a waste of a night. I don't suggest staying in a room where there are people above you.
Overall the staff were nice and the room was average. The space is nice and I respect the historic nature of the building.
Was dinner worth $200 not at all. The quantity and quality were at best a $120 meal. We got the room at a fair price. Not sure I'm thrilled with the $25 cleaning fee. Shouldn't that already be factored into the price of the room?? It's not a room for rent on Craigs list.

Room tip: Got a top floor room....
Date of stay: December 2020
1  Thank drjds71
Reviewed 15 November 2020 via mobile

A wonderful place to stay if you are in the Charles Town/ Harpers Ferry area! The main inn/restaurant itself is on a beautiful property, but we stayed at a farmhouse location which was also really nice. Our room (Sunset Suite) was very spacious, comfortable, and very clean. The breakfast every morning is also very good. We made dinner reservations one night which I also recommend.

Date of stay: November 2020
2  Thank 17brittanyk
Management response:Responded 10 December 2020

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Hillbrook. I hope we can welcome you back again in the future!

Carissa

Reviewed 2 November 2020

Just about mediocre everything. And that's giving them a pass due to COVID.

Room: We stayed in one of the cottages. Nice enough, but very "no frills" considering the price we paid. Only two towels in the bathroom, a lightbulb above sink burnt out, no additional blanket for the bed, shower head spattered out water and the device was not sturdy, no tea in the room though plenty of instant coffee. It would have been nice to have better soap, seemed more Quality Inn than "inn" quality. It's the details that Hillbrook Inn misses.

Dinner: The food was quite good. Very good! But not worth the $300 and $50 tip for two people and one wine pairing. We called ahead and advised one of us is gluten-free. The only accommodation was to remove the gnocchi. No alternative. Wow. Service was OK but slow.

Breakfast: What a joke. Who serves oatmeal AND grits? Way too heavy. Juice was from concentrate. No 1% or 2% milk for coffee? Really? Fruit was limited. Again, no gluten-free accommodation even though they knew it. At the end of both breakfasts the server presented us with a bill. We were confused. So was the couple at the table next to us. Breakfast, we were told, was included. She didn't return to the table so we went to find the server. She said some people like to pay. I said why, since it's included. She didn't have an answer. We were presented a bill again for breakfast the next morning. It just seems unnecessary, and confusing.

Service: Overall, service is OK. Don't expect anyone to answer the phone if you need something. I understand a stripped staff is present because of COVID. But because of lack of attention to the guest, the entire experience feels empty. For what it's worth, when I finally did get ahold of the front desk to place our breakfast delivery-to-door order for the next morning, when the food arrived it was not at all what we requested. Though delicious, it wasn't what we asked for. When we received the bill for our stay, the inn charged us $10 for breakfast delivery to our room. Never were we told there would be a charge. I emailed staying so and they were quick to remove it. But again, why even charge? Why not make that charge clear?

Spa/Massage: I've had about 200+ massages in my lifetime. In the States, Asia, Mexico, Argentina, etc. Our couples massage was just OK. I wasn't asked the level of intensity I preferred nor any bod part I'd like additional focus on. When I asked if she could go deeper into my shoulder, she said that would constitute "deep tissue massage" and would cost extra. Sheesh, talk about spoiling the moment. Afterwards we were asked how much tip we'd like to leave. The massage therapists asked, which was slightly uncomfortable. I said $15 per, yet on the bill the next morning it was converted into 15%. Not the end of the world, but again, Hillbrook Inn missed the mark on caring for the details.

The Grounds: Very lovely, clean, expansive. Well cared for!

In the end, we had an OK time. But for the $235/night room charge, a $300 dinner, and lack of attention to detail, we'll be staying elsewhere for our next getaway.

Date of stay: October 2020
1  Thank Tony24530
Management response:Responded 10 December 2020

I am sorry to hear that your experience at Hillbrook Inn did not meet your expectations. Due to current unforeseen circumstances with COVID-19, we have had to make many changes to how we interact with guests. We are learning as we go what works and what does not. I appreciate the time you took to provide a detailed review so that we can implement more changes to make the experience better for future guests. I hope you will give us another chance in the future so we can give you a true Hillbrook experience.

Carissa