“Not What it Looks Like”

Price range: US$6 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: An Urban Beach Bar & Grill serving house-prepared beach food, cold beer, and cocktails. Come join us on the deck! We also feature TapTV trivia and sports on the tele!
Reviewed 25 October 2016

I had some concerns when we walked in but the food soon allayed all of those. Don't go in expecting a spotless facility and the in-crowd. It looks like a dive and there are some characters in the there but the food is excellent. I had the halibut tacos with watermelon relish and my wife had the tofu tacos. Both were excellent. The watermelon relish was very unique. I never would have thought about pairing it with fish on a taco. The portions are good, I had a side of red beans and rice (needed hot sauce) and my wife had fries. From what I gathered though I missed out on some excellent hush puppies. You order at the counter and they bring it to you. The woman working that night appeared to be having some issues but the cook or bartender who brought us our food was very nice.

Reviewed 8 September 2016 via mobile

We ate at Tricky Fish based on a foodie niece's recommendation. Depending on our menu choices, we either loved it, thought it was OK, or was very disappointed.

First, the excellent jerk shrimp taco was one of the best I've ever eaten. The side salad was fresh and the side dressing tasty. My husband's pulled pig sandwich with salad was OK. He like the salad and just thought the pulled pig was different from what he's used to. Another niece had the pulled pork taco from the specials board and the standard beans and rice sides. Taco was OK, but not the beans and rice. She really disliked the taste and texture.

The atmosphere was very Caribbean, and fun with lots of hot sauces on the tables. You place your order near the front door, and it's delivered to your table. The back bar was well populated with customers.

Unfortunately, the unhappy person lives in Charleston, so I may have trouble talking her into going back. I'd love another shrimp taco!

Reviewed 27 August 2016

This was a simple order-at-the-counter place with many choices of Mexican food. The fish tacos were average, but better than some other places. It was raining when we were there so we ate inside. It's nothing special.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

Have seen this place a few times and decided to give them a try on a whim. Parked in the lot behind the store with no problem. There is an order counter inside, where I ordered a cocktail, 6 hot wings and the shrimp tacos. Took a seat on the open patio, and being from Florida, this place would be right at home along any seaside boardwalk in the country. The wings were large, perfectly cooked and in a spicy hot sauce, served with choice of blue cheese or ranch. Could have used some celery.... The shrimp tacos were exceptional! And again, being from Florida, I eat a lot of shrimp and actually buy mine from a local shrimp boat. Expertly fried shrimp in a slaw/chutney blend that perfecly complimented the shrimp without overpowering their flavor!
SO, If you are into a polished chrome and cloth napkin kind of place, keep looking. If you want really good food, in generous quantities, at agreat price, in a relaxed friendly environment, this is your place! Going back for sure, maybe tonight!

Reviewed 4 August 2016

My daughter Paula took me to Tricky fish and I loved the fish sandwich and fries very tasty and cooked just right

Been to Tricky Fish? Share your experiences!