“Travelers "Go Local"-yes-Detour to the door.”
Review of Mi Cocina de Amor

Mi Cocina de Amor
Ranked #22 of 286 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Small restaurant with seating for about ohhhh about 40 inside and 8-10 tables outside. They pull center restaurant tables together for large groups. No booths seen.
Nice cantina style decor. Not typical chain restaurant atmosphere. Some original artwork including a "blueprint" for creating a Taco and a wonderful Picasso-inspired painting of a woman playing guitar. Colorful with Christmas ornamented ceilings and corrugated tin bar-but not to the extent it was tacky. A good date restaurant or restaurant for business travelers. Price point was $45 which paid for "my mothers enchiladas" (server-have you been here before? Me: No. Server-that's our most popular dish) a beef platter dish with seasoned beef, beans, rice, and apparently home-made tortillas, a club soda (aka soda water), an Appalachian tea (peachy and alcoholic -a bit too sweet for the husbands preference-but refreshing) and a desert pear martini (I.e. Cactus pear). Complimentary house made chips and mild salsa (in a fresh made Pico -but-not-chunky style and magical refills!)
Lots on this menu to peruse but struck gold on the back page with two options for enchiladas made with a green sour cream sauce. "My mothers enchiladas" Amazing. Ridiculously amazing. Made with the sauce outside and sour cream inside topped with Colby jack cheese, beans and rice. (Husband: you win)
Another option was a version that apparently did not have sour cream on the inside of the enchilada and did not have the Colby cheese. I believe that was "enchiladas blanco"?. Perhaps "blanco" would be an option for a "some-but-not ton sour cream aficionado" or an option by those looking to cut a few calories off their selection-but if you're looking to do that; go for those amazingly tasty looking tacos. Grilled Mahi-mahi, shrimp, etc.
The desert pear martini was not overly sweet. Served in a marguerita glass (good sized) but could have been chilled a bit more. But then I like em so cold they hurt my teeth so maybe that's not fair.
The servers were all hustling-high turnover of patrons but I never felt rushed.
Metered on street parking. Free after 6.
High chairs present and used. Nicely stocked bar. Nice pace of chips-salsa menu to drinks-more chips-and entree presentations. They sell the t-shirts. Other t-shirt option (more manly) was "peace love tacos" on the back and cool logo front.
But my server wore a shirt that said "feed me tacos and call me beautiful" and I can truly say that any server bringing me a meal that good is beautiful in my eyes.
Me: 30 years military and eaten all over the world including many Mexican ports of call and lived in New Mexico-so a bit of credibility for calling these my favorite enchiladas to date. Headed to the eclipse in Nashville but have already directed our return route to go through Charleston, WV so we can "hit it again".

Reviewed 16 August 2017

What a delightful place! Not only was the food amazing and authentic, the staff were good-humored and incredibly funny. I ordered the buffalo chicken nachos, which was such a large portion, I took the rest home for two additional meals. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 19 July 2017

We stopped in on a Saturday while in town and thoroughly enjoyed the lunch and the visit. The service was great, super friendly servers. Food was excellent with portions that were filling but not so over-the-top that you left half of it on your plate. The atmosphere was good, we sat outside on the patio and were very comfortable. They have a good selection of food, it was hard to choose what to order. Guess that means we'll have to go back sometime to try other items on the menu. Prices were also very reasonable. Definitely a place we will visit again in the future!

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

DECOR: authentic Mexican. It doesn't look like your colorful plastic faux Mexican restaurant, and it doesn't feel like a low budget dive serving mediocre Mexican food. After all, just because I'm from Mexico doesn't guarantee I can cook. This is bright and sprinkled with real folk art, including a good dose of Dia de los Muertos.

STAFF: responsive, perky.

FOOD: everything was remarkable. The flavors were complex. I found myself wondering what extra ingredient made this unexpected nuance.

Salsa tells a lot... the opening gambit . How much thought is put into it: open a can of tomato sauce or chop tomatoes? Serve it straight or add cilantro, cumin, chili powder? This salsa was full of chunks and spices.

I had Mama's Enchiladas. They were smothered in cheese and sauce. This is not always a good , but here it was subtle with a je ne sais quoi (sorry). The refried beans had a surprising amount of flavor... cumin was prominent, but there were other undertones.

My wife had the Margarita Tacos...what are sometimes called Mexican street tacos or tacos autenticos. A tasty alternative to the usual crumbled hamburger meat and salt, dumped in a crisp shell. What, me jaded? Just tired of lazy food prepared without a soupçon (Perdòn, just had to say it) of thought.

Mi Cocina, according to the commentary in the menu, is based on a generation's old series of menus. They seem to be handed down by people who care and think about what they cook. One of the best in my 75 years of grabbing for the ice water!

2  Thank knygard
Reviewed 16 July 2017

As a business traveler, I rarely get the opportunity to venture far from the meeting and try get local spots. The tacos were awesome. The amazing part beyond the taste :) was that I didn't even spill anything on my tie.

The service was friendly and prompt. The chips and salsa were excellent and the atmosphere was cool.

They had outdoor seating and it was easy to find parking.

1  Thank Kevn P