“Spent the night listening to my room rattle from the wedding reception downstairs.”

The Blennerhassett Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Parkersburg
Reviewed 23 October 2017

I expected more of an historic hotel. I really wanted to like the place and I booked it with the intention that it was not only a piece of WV's history, but also a classy and beautiful place to stay with the added excitement of rumored hauntings.

My husband and I got there a little after 9pm and immediately went to the lounge to order before the kitchen closed at 10 o'clock. The food was great, the waitstaff was very polite and we didn't see any issues until we actually went up to our room.

We were on the second floor. We took our things up to our room and even with the door shut, the party downstairs was so loud, the walls rattled with each bass thump. You couldn't escape the noise--it felt like we were right above a rowdy bar in a college town.

The idea of a classy place to relax and explore was shattered by the earth-shaking bass line of Tag Team's "Whoomp There it is", followed by several other songs in the DJ's playlist that went on until midnight. The TV couldn't possibly cover the sound that was vibrating the entire room.

The hotel wasn't equipped to handle that type of noise level. The walls were paper thin. I fell asleep after the party quit at midnight, as I was exhausted, but the neighbors in the room to the left of us kept my husband awake until 5am with their own haunting: karaoke renditions of Celine Dion, followed by loud moaning. He just dealt with it to avoid waking me up and subjecting me to the same predicament.

There were no vacancies left, too. There's no way Blennerhassett doesn't know how a loud party like that is so disruptive to those just wanting a place to sleep, yet they took a minimum of $140 from each person that booked that night, which just felt like a personal slap in the face.

I complained about it the next morning. Of course there's nothing that can be done at that point, but at least I know (and anyone that reads this review knows) they have been informed and are aware that there is a serious problem with providing terrible accommodations to traveling guests looking to avoid sleep deprivation before heading out on the road again.

It's dangerous, it's disingenuous, and it's a total let-down to visit a landmark hotel that holds itself to a lower standard than a roadside motel. Stop in for some food or drink, but you'll find better accommodations for sleeping at a two-star Travelodge.

Room Tip: Book if you're looking for terrible sleeping conditions.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 October 2017

This is the place to stay in Parkersburg. The large suites are glorious, with high ceilings, a huge comfortable bed, a really big desk, really big walk-in closet, and large elegant double-sink bathroom with more counter space than you'll ever need, fluffy towels (even a makeup towel), and top-of-the-line toiletries.

The entire building is old, historic, and well-maintained. Rumor is that there is a ghost in the library, but it's not true. On the other hand, if you are in Parkersburg in October, the Parkersburg nighttime ghost walk leaves from the Blennerhassett Hotel and is great entertainment.

The icing on this historic cake, however, is its very fine restaurant. Dine outside in the garden, often with live music when the weather is warm. Or, enjoy the nicely lit fine dining room. Even then, you might want to order the Spatt's burger, because it's just the best. There's often entertainment inside, too. Cocktail hour is accompanied by first rate appetizers. The bar's specialty is martinis, and they actually are quite creative and tasty. Lunchtime has a soup and sandwich offering that can't be beat.

In short, you don't need to wander about town looking for a place to eat. The Blennerhassett Hotel has it all in one place.

Room Tip: Splurge on one of the large suites. Avoid the top floor (air conditioner noise). Get a room facing t...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Amanda M, Guest Services Manager at The Blennerhassett Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Thank you very much for your feedback and kind words about the hotel and your stay with us. We greatly appreciate you sharing about your experience with fellow members of the travel community. Our entire staff works to serve our guests and treat them to the best experience possible. We have passed your feedback about Spats at the Blennerhassett on to our chefs and staff, and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We would love to have you as our guest again, should you find yourself in the area.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

I will start with this room was paid for by the jazz band we were there with. I have to be fair in saying I do not know what all rooms have to offer when writing this, I can only speak of our experience with staff, food, and convenience.

Upon arrival, we knew parking was an issue as it’s public parking not being attached to the hotel that’s “not” gated.

On entering our room was not ready and they wanted a credit card to put on file which was already paid for so a card was already on file and we were told from the go we would not need to put ours on in addition. So that was a bad start already.

We decided since we had an hour wait, we entered spats restaurant and thought while waiting we’d get lunch. Apparently after 2 they menu is cut to half the normal size. Ok I get it, time to prep for dinner. Service was in existent, took forever to order and to pay bill. Good food, very good for what we could order but I’m sorry a half salad, a cup of soup, and burger/fries with two soft drinks is not 30 dollars worth of good. So dinner was out of the question here, I can deal with spending money but not inexistent service.

As for the room. As I said, it was paid for. As basic as you can get for an over night stay. It was nice decor comfy bed. Basic room= equals by the way.. bed, tv, chair, small desk, and a tiny bathroom. My issue however was electrical outlets and the noise level. In today’s modern age we have phones,tablets,and laptops. This room is not conducive for this at all. We had an outlet by the desk and on one nightstand attached to the clock. The walls are paper thin, you could hear your neighbors sneeze and other bodily functions . The road traffic was horrible and kept us up all night.

The staff never said hello nor greeted us once while there. In all fairness, seemed busy with weddings and receptions during our stay.

Final conclusion, next time we are in town we is a few times a year we will pay for our own room and go somewhere with more soundproofing. I can’t imagine the walls getting thicker cause you get a nicer room. I get not having mini fridges or microwaves for a small room but no sound control is huge no no in my book. As well as unfriendly staff.

I will say the hotel main floor is beautiful and the hotel is quaint charming and historic. I wish I had more positive to say.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed several days at the wonderful hotel. Due to an unexpected illness, we spent most of our vacation in the hotel proper.

Our room was beautiful, spacious, and comfortable. We really appreciated the quiet setting and blackout drapes, which allowed us much-needed rest.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant (Spats) was outstanding.

Though our vacation turned out a little different than we planned, we still enjoyed ourselves at this wonderful hotel.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words and feedback about your experience staying with us. We are sorry to hear that you were under the weather, but glad that you still enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff strives to treat each guest to the best possible experience while staying with us, and we are very pleased to hear about your experience during your stay. We would love to have you as our guest again, should you find yourself in the area.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 14 October 2017

It is sheer magic walking into the Blennerhassett Hotel in the historic town of Parkersburg West Virginia. This Queen Anne Style hotel that thrived in the Gas Light Era encompasses gentility and style, maintaining its historic splendor and civilized ambience. Sitting in the lounge and gazing at fabulous works of art on the wall of what appeared to be scene's from a cocktail party in the roaring 20's, made me want to jump into the frame and literally bring to life every stroke of the artist's brush. Accompanied by nostalgic music playing softly in the background, I closed my eyes while I sipped my pinot noir to the tune of 'La Vie En Rose'. Searching for this kind of authentic ambience in a city like New York is even challenging and finding this jewel of a spot in the tiny town of Parkersburg West Virginia is like discovering gold in an old mining town.

Amanda McKnight who is the guest services manager is a part of creating an outstanding staff in the hotel. Ryan, Brooke and our server who had long brown hair and a great personality all make this hotel a memorable one. Javier who delivered our water and extra towels was joy to meet along with the others too. I opened my door in the morning to greet Shauna, a member of the house keeping staff in the midst of cleaning another room. I spoke with her about how amazed I was at the cleanliness of our rooms as it was our second visit. The bathroom was spotless and was genuinely clean along with fresh bed linen in the room, smudge free television converters, hairdryers, desks, window sills and dust and stain free furniture. I notice everything in detail and sometimes when a room appears to be clean, it still has that 'grunge feel' to it like someone has been there before. Not at this hotel though! The Blennerhassett exceeds my expectation and cradles my OCD state of mind. They are outstanding in every way.

In the restaurant and lounge, I have imprinted the wedge salad and French onion soup into my mind for my next visit. Travelling with my little service dog, I am happy to see that the Blennerhassett welcomes other canine travelers, even writing their names in chalk on a welcome black board shaped like a Daschund. A clean towel with paw prints and two stainless steel dishes (one filled with colorful treats) is against the wall on the floor of each guest's room for their dog children and they are treated like welcomed guests and called by name. It is indeed awe striking for me that this hotel blows others out of the water in cleanliness. So many hotels in North America and world wide frown on four legged guests bragging about their 'no pets allowed' rules and they are some of the most disappointing proving that their poor hygiene standards that are well below par have more to do with the human beings that stay! I would personally like to offer a big paw of applaud for Mr. Larry McIntyre for providing an exceptional experience because as most of us in business know, success and quality trickles down from the very top.

I look forward to returning to the quaint and charming town of Parkersburg which has not yet been sucked into the modern commercial world of Starbucks and Target. This brings me to my only complaint. Starbucks coffee is a joyless cup of commercial swill. I would suggest a coffee like Don Cox's Bald Guy Brew from Boone North Carolina or even perhaps a coffee connoisseur’s brew from West Virginia!

I look forward to my next visit and thank everyone at the Blennerhassett Hotel for their outstanding service and providing a wonderful place for us to stay during our travels.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your excellent feedback and sharing about your experience with the travel community. Our entire staff strives to have each guest enjoy their stay with us from beginning to end, and we are so pleased to know that we achieved this goal. Your feedback has been passed along to my staff, and everyone else in the hotel. We are truly humbled by your review and kind words about the Blennerhassett, and we would love to have you and service dog stay with us again soon.

Best Regards,
Guest Services Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Parkersburg
2.3 km away
5.5 km away
Wingate by Wyndham Vienna Parkersburg
20.4 km away
Comfort Suites Marietta-Parkersburg

Been to The Blennerhassett Hotel? Share your experiences!