“Dont waste your money”

The Pit Smokehouse - Culcheth
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit Smokehouse - Culcheth is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 20 Restaurants in Culcheth
Description: The Pit Smokehouse @ Culcheth - American-style smokehouse serving BBQ, burgers & Southern fare in a rustic, plank-wood setting.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Went tonight for the first time and will not be going again. The service was terrible waited ages for our food and around of drinks. I ordered the ribs which were so dry and had to leave them. No bbq sauce on them either and its not the cheapest of places either. Would not recommend.

4  Thank jilliano1974

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Poor quality of BBQ. the staff were lovely as was the IPA. The food left a lot to be desired. No smoke ring on the food. Chewy brisket, ribs so dry a dog would spend hours chewing... The chicken was pretty moist and the best thing about the meal. The pulled pork was watery and sat in a pool of water. Since its opening the food portions have gotten smaller and the quality of the 'BBQ' has gone really down hill. We won't be visiting again.

4  Thank Mark A
Reviewed 29 March 2018

We visited this restaurant (on the recommendation of my stepson) for my granddaughter's birthday yesterday.
First impressions were very good, loved the look of the place.
We were booked in for 7pm so it was quite busy when we went in, but certainly not rowdy.
Our waitress was a very nice young lady, very pleasant & always smiling.
The food was fantastic, I had the onion bomb (much bigger than I anticipated!) & the candy bacon burger. I can honestly say I have never tasted a nicer burger in all my life, it was delicious.
The prices were very reasonable too, considering the high quality of the food.
Drinks were reasonably priced too.
I would have loved to have had room for dessert, but alas the triple burger I had only just managed to finish filled me just that bit too much!
Will definitely be returning in the future & would have no hesistation whatsoever in recommending this place.

1  Thank Graham B
Reviewed 26 March 2018

I used to love visiting this restaurant and really want it to be good so keep giving it the benefit of the doubt, but each time I return I leave a little more disappointed with it.

The food quality is nowhere near as good as it used to be when it first opened and more often than not when you order something you'll find more things which they have run out of.

Service is slow as the staff are stretched. For the price of the food and the poor quality of it, I won't be returning

5  Thank Emily B
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Four of us booked this restaurant after wanted to try it for some time. We were aware of the good reputation but also aware that recent reviews on trip advisor were poor.

The restaurant is a nice environment if quite noisy, we were shown to our booth table which was nice. Immediately it became clear that the service would be somewhat confused and unsure of what was on offer... a number of items were unavailable which I appreciate is some times unavoidable but wouldn't be a problem if the server had advised upfront.

The food itself is lovely, large portions and the burgers were really nice. The onion bomb was impressive but a bit greasy. The creamy coleslaw was.... well... lacking in cream.

I did find it strange that when we asked for the dessert menu that they advised you had to go and look in the cabinet?? Why no Menu?! There were only 4 options... coukd the waiter not just tell us??

All in all... a shame that some things were missing but I would go back and would recommend. The waiting staff just need some training and guidance.