“Wonderful place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Ephraim B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Wonderful place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

My sister and I stayed at the Lodgings the weekend of October 28-30. We chose the Gift Box Room, which was incredibly spacious and clean, with a living room with a large flat-screen TV, sofa with two chairs, a separate bedroom and a kitchenette. It was decorated beautifully and had many windows that gave us a view of the bay. Alicia was lovely and helpful to us, suggesting restaurants and giving us DVD's to borrow. Ephraim doesn't have many restaurants for dinner because it is a dry town, but Fish Creek and Sister Bay are a short drive away. The Lodgings are charming and a great value compared to some of the other more run-down places nearby, plus steps away from Wilson's, the bay, Good Eggs and some wonderful other sights.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Part of this rant is not the fault of the B&B... let me stress that first. However... some of it is, particularly the aftermath of a disappointing 2-hour stay. My wife and I chose this bay-side property because the last time we stayed in Door County, we chose the lake side. The Lodgings at Pioneer Lane came well recommended here at Tripadvisor, and I am sure it IS possible to have a very nice stay here. That said, just beware of what I deem to be a county-wide problem and how it MIGHT affect your stay here, as well as a surprisingly rude rebuff from management.
Let me begin with the reservation process. Most hotels, motels, B&Bs now offer a couple of options for booking: Do it all on-line, or over the phone. At LPL, I had to cover all bases. First, to get the process started... you need to check on-line to see if there are any rooms available for your preferred stay. If there are, you then make your pick on the computer, under the assumption that you will secure the room. WHOA!!! Not so fast! Now you get to wait for someone with the property to call you back a day or so later (in my case) and let you know if you REALLY got what you thought you'd just reserved. Now I will say this... when the woman called me back to "confirm" the booking, she was extremely nice.
I picked "Helen's Room." Looks nice on the website. (looked nice in person too). I read about the King bed, the soaking whirlpool tub, the kitchenette, porch, wifi, etc. OOPS!!! Forgot to ask about whether there's a phone in the room. Stupid me. No phone. I guess I should be glad there's hot water, because it wasn't specifically mentioned in the write up either.
Now I suppose the lack of a phone might actually seem quaint to some of you... those truly wanting to escape the travails of modern-day life. But for me, it turned out to be the lynchpin in a series of unfortunate missteps which forced me to head home without a single night at the LPL. You see... Door County, while delightful, scenic and genuinely friendly, is in a wireless vacuum if you use AT&T in particular. While it is possible to briefly ping a single bar for a fleeting moment on your iPhone... the vast majority of the time your expensive cell phone is rendered a shiny brick in Door County. No phone service. No 3G. No E. No nothin'. Want to contact your friends or check in with family or receive an emergency call from loved ones (heaven forbid) and you're SOL. Of course... if your hotel room has a phone... you can at least work around that inconvenience. Not at the Lodgings at Pioneer Lane. Now, I'm sure some of you might be asking, "while why didn't that idiot just go to the office and ask to borrow their phone. I'm sure they'd have obliged." Well I bet they would have too, if someone were there. You see... on a busy Sunday afternoon with Fall festivals hopping in full swing all over the peninsula on a holiday weekend, no management was on the property. No owner. No part-time staffer. Nobody.
So, bereft of contact with the rest of the world, we loaded up the wagon queen family truckster and headed back home. As we drove south amid the spectacular foliage, I regularly checked my iPhone to see whether any bars had appeared. Nothing. Until we got all the way to the outskirts of Green Bay. Once there, I thought it prudent to call the toll-free number of the Lodgings and relay our experience, in hopes of pointing out the possible future value of providing a phone in the room like virtually every other American lodging. As I calmly described our "stay," the gentleman on the other end of my now-fully operational phone proceeded to rudely chide me for not calling him sooner. REALLY? And with what device shall that communication have been made? I was not blaming him for the poor AT&T wireless service, but I surely did criticize the lack of a phone in the room, or a body in the office.
"Well why didn't you just e-mail me? I probably could have arranged for a phone," said the brusque man on the other end of the line. "Forgive me. I must have failed to mention that while your internet did indeed work as promised for web browsing... e-mail functionality was non-existent." Complaint curtly dismissed.
I began this write up with the caveat that not all of my woes at this property were any fault of the proprietor(s). I simply urge caution to future guests to ensure that they are aware of the potential loss of communication with the outside world here, and to take pre-emptive measures with the Lodgings' management. The discourteous manner in which I was treated after the fact when all I wanted was to do was point out an area where their service was glaringly lacking is inexcusable.

Room Tip: Pick one with a phone in it. If you can.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ChiWeather
lodgingpioneerlane, Owner at Lodgings at Pioneer Lane, responded to this review, 5 November 2011
We wish to respond to this guest and to all who actually stay with us here at the Lodgings at Pioneer Lane: We take your comments seriously and feel raves as well as rants help us step up our game to make our seven room “hybrid-inn” better and better. As a result of the above, we are including in our confirmation a reminder to iPhone users with ATT service the spotty nature of its rural service. We also mention to iPhone ATT users that we can make available a land line upon request.
Rosemount, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

Ephraim is a very pretty, quaint town and this Inn is centrally located and close to many amenities. Though please note that Ephraim is a dry town. We didn't realize that when we booked the room. We had to drive to a different city for dinner if we wanted a glass of wine too.

This inn is very nicely decorated and has a very comfortable bed. We stayed in the Sea Chest room, which is on the lower level. There was considerable noise from the room above us, which can't be helped. But there was also some loud plumbing noise, I'm not sure if it was from a water softener filling up or something like that, but it happened periodically, including in the middle of the night, and it would last for a few minutes. It woke both myself and my husband up in the middle of the night.

The owners were very nice and accommodating. There was a wind storm just prior to our arrival and the town lost power, and they called us right away and let us know about the situation, in case power wasn't on when we arrived. They kept us informed of the status, and if we wouldn't have been able to stay there, they said they would have given us a full refund. Luckily power was restored and we were able to check in as planned.

I would recommend this Inn, but I don't recommend staying in the Sea Chest room because of all the noise.

Room Tip: Recommend 2nd floor or cottage
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jessica M
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

My husband and I just returned from a stay at the Lodgings and we can not wait to get back up there! The Lodgings is perfectly located in the center of Ephraim, steps from the water. We stayed in Helen's Suite, which consisted of a den with a beautiful gas fireplace and kitchenette, large, tastefully decorated bedroom with a comfortable king sized bed and jacuzzi tub, and a large bathroom. It was perfect for a romantic weekend. I felt it was an incredible room for a reasonable price. The suite was impeccably clean. Alicia met us upon arrival and could not have been more welcoming. We could not have picked a more relaxing, warm and cozy place for our fall escape from the city! I highly recommend the lodgings at Pioneer Lane and we will be returning there soon!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Shorewood, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

This lovely B&B was just perfect for a fall weekend in Door County. From the hosts, Alicia and Hugh who could not be more gracious, the location in picturesque Ephraim and the rooms to make you feel cozy and warm. I stayed in Helen's Suite and it couldn't be more charming with some of the original log walls, to the fireplace, the decor, the beautiful bed and the sunken tub. There is a little porch area with table and chairs to just sit and enjoy the sight of the lake. What more could you ask for. Close by a walk to Leroy's for coffee, Chef's Hat is only a few steps away for a yummy lunch and Hardy Gallery with its artful exterior and views. Bikes are available to leisurely enjoy the town. Spent some time chatting with Alicia about Pioneer and the area and it made for a delightful departure. I definitely plan to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephraim
0.2 km away
14.2 km away
Newport Resort
Newport Resort
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Lodgings at Pioneer Lane? Share your experiences!